Which do you think is better: UT3 or UT2k4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which is better: UT3 or UT2004

• UT3 is better

Votes: 63 52.1%
  • UT2004 is better

Votes: 58 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
The most original reply so far I guess.

It's true. Unreal is darn fantastic as a game. It really is. I like the Unreal mod for UT, it sure brings back old memories.

Unreal is the genuine sci-fi that I actually believed in. It was perfect.

Any game in the series is really unmatched. It's one of a kind. Almost like Abe's Odyssey. Spin-offs are still successive, but I am getting picky over the years. The way I was able to play botmatch in the early game was so awesome and completely new at the time. I really liked those weapons and that game.

Last edited:

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
How so? UT3 has four main themes of maps if I recall it correctly. In original UT (without bonuspacks) it was mainly industrial themed (and some boring imo) maps......

True, UT3 has 4 different themes. Human, Liandri, Necris, Izinagi (asian)
And nobody is ever going to like every map, which is why I think it's worse when those themes blend together too well.

I just quickly counted no less than 20 unique theme/settings in UT2004 and in terms of UT99 its much the same.. Its not all just industrial as you say.
Here are just some of the unique themes..

UT99
KGalleon, Peak, Gothic, Sesmar, Mazon, Lavagiant, Morphues, Gauntlet, November, Conveyor.. + more

UT2004
TokaraForest, Plunge, Moondragon, Osiris, Inferno, Junkyard, Rrajigar, Icetomb, Magma, + more

UT3
Containment, Diesel, Serenity, ShangriLa, Coret, Diemos, CarbonFire (thats all)

The maps from previous games were all a lot more unique from each other than the unique maps in UT3 are from each other. (my main point)

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
Theres different themes, but the thing is they are all very similar in certain ways - like being generally dark and cold and similar dark textures. Most of them have necris tentacles for example.. it's all tied together.

I'm saying, with the original basic storyline that all the maps should be more random and unique (well, maybe a couple maps per style) because it's supposed to be a tournament in all kinds of different locations around the galaxy - places that either Liandri has built, or aquired, for combat.

With UT3 they have intentionally made a storyline which brings all these locations into existing on a single planet (the campaign map) and all "tie-in" together - I disagree with this move, and the entire concept of having a "WAR" instead of a "TOURNAMENT". It goes on..

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
With UT3 they have intentionally made a storyline which brings all these locations into existing on a single planet (the campaign map) and all "tie-in" together - I disagree with this move, and the entire concept of having a "WAR" instead of a "TOURNAMENT". It goes on..

The funny thing is, I would generally rather play a game about a war than about a sporting event, and yet I agree that UT is worse off for that switch they pulled there.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Personally, I simply don't understand why they didn't take the UC2 approach to the storyline, because it worked well there.

I think the war storyline is kind of pointless, but I don't think it really ruins the game. The lack of a tournament mode is worse than the inclusion of a half baked off season storyline.

The "lack" of variety in maps makes perfect sense based on what they did, though. I can't fault them for that.

[PSI]Snow White

Jan 30, 2008
Overall I like Unreal Tournament 2004 better because of the smaller size custom skins and maps downloads on our server. The file folders are a lot easier for me to place custom maps & skins.

Last edited:

i.mosh

forum whore is back
Sep 30, 2008
rite side
[PSI]Snow White;2192763 said:
Overall I like Unreal Tournament 2004 better because of the smaller size custom skins and maps downloads on our server. The file folders are a lot easier for me to place custom maps & skins.

you pretty much cleared it all up for me :D

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/tags.php?tag=dark+pulse+is+wrong
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/tags.php?tag=darkpulse+is+wrong

It is the most used tag on this forum actually....
daarkpulseiswrong.jpg

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
LOL, I don't think that darkpulse is the only thing thats wrong in this forum.

|
|
|
\/

Attachments

• Evenwronger.JPG
    Evenwronger.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 68

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
That dysfunction thing, gosh, it's not even spelled right. How about that?

I will probably start a thread where you can vote for and comment on any Unreal game in the series.

Thanatos

Oct 21, 2005
Napali Meditation Room
Back on topic,

Its definatly UT2004 for me, while UT3 may be the 'best' on paper in terms of gameplay, style and graphics the final package just doesn't do it for me as much as UT2004 does.

I mean just look at the awards that each title has recieved UT won multiple Game of the year awards, UT2004 won awards for Multiplayer Game of the Year and Best Value for 2004 award. So far UT3 has won nothing.

Both of those classic "but different" titles according to www.gamerankings.com has an average review of above 90%. UT2003 and UT3 both have an average review percentage of roughly 80%.

This is why I think UT3 falls into the same category as UT2003 of "Could do better" so I am waiting for a UT3.5 :lol: (Even though I own UT3).

I still think Epic Games had the right idea with the original UT which was designed for the PC then adapted for the consoles, instead they have tried to develop the same version of the game for every system at the same time which has lead to a game which was underdeveloped, unfinished and universally seen as average by all except die hard fans.