Which do you think is better: UT3 or UT2k4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which is better: UT3 or UT2004

• UT3 is better

Votes: 63 52.1%
  • UT2004 is better

Votes: 58 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
UT1 had the skaarj hybrid who had his own footsteps representing his weight, the higher view representing his height and his own taunts in skaarj language. UT2004 did not even have all this, how cheap.

Accept it, UT1 is far supperior by design than UT2004 ever was.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
How so? UT3 has four main themes of maps if I recall it correctly. In original UT (without bonuspacks) it was mainly industrial themed (and some boring imo) maps. There are few exceptions, but that is only like one map in the crypt2.utx (which comes orginally from unreal beta and I don't get how would liandri build that cryptic theme map, if it was originally set in Na Pali (special temples built for Skaarj in the cryptic theme by Nali), so that's a weird lie in these map descriptions as well as other weird things, wtf time paradoxes and so on :lol:), one egyptian map, which theme seems again come from early Unreals partially (there were few screenshots with egyptian themed maps while unreal was in developement, although the textures are not same), but again only one map, I think it's a little waste of themes in original UT.
The ut2004 has variety of themes because it contains also most of ut2003 content, but the quality of the new maps aren't that high, they all have pretty much simmilar shapes and are getting boring and I mean it mainly for DM.

EDIT: And btw, skaarj hybrids in UT, to psycho: They had no special voices, the only special sound was the footstep, the other sounds were only pitched already existing voices inside script, no new voices or anything, so basically the skaarj sounds plus male voices in the monster speech, many people don't know about this, I first though it was standalone voice pack, until I looked in the script and that there are no other new sounds than footsteps. :)
But still even that is better than ut2004 skaarjs.

Last edited:

GGA_Nate

I train people, not dogs.
Jan 20, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
www.myspace.com
For me, it comes down to this: I had fun playing UT2004 online, despite its flaws. I can't really say the same for UT3, with it's ****ty netcode, empty servers and laggy mouse control. I don't think the game is as bad as some think it is, it really deserved a better reception. But with COD4 around, I can't find a reason to play UT3.

Enfluence

I kinda like UT3.
Jan 25, 2008
You should change the poll to what looks better because thats the majority these days

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I can't say I truly have/had an UT1 feel when I play/played UT3. Maybe I once said I did, but looking back on it... No, they're different games. Imho.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
UT3 then UT then UT2k4 for me... though i logged the most hours playing original UT, theres something about playing UT3 that is more fun overall and of course it looks great ;)

i liked UT2k3/4 alot but that 'unreal feeling' feeling that both UT and now UT3 have just wasnt the same ...

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
I like the sniper rifle in UT3 more then the lightning gun or sniper rifle from ut2004. That thread is merely a complaint thread about how the aiming system in UT3 seems to have been loaded with trojans.
The UT3 sniper rifle is better, but due to aiming issues, i can't hit anything.

But that was a jolly good attempt at a comback right there! :tup: If this forum had a rep system i'd give you +1.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
The crappy assault rifle was nothing but a joke and the shield gun is crappiest idea ever. To actually give someone the ability to run away and have a shield. What kind of stupid ass came up with that? Its like the complete opposite of what UT is all about.

Actually I think the shield gun was a pretty sweet idea D:

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
It also had many downsides that people seem to ignore. They only focused on the "omfg impenetrable shield u suk". Among many things were the facts it hampered your movement since you needed to keep it facing the enemy all the time and it wasn't a full body shield, you could shoot around it.

Zaiden

Aug 10, 2008
UT3 has nicer graphics, but I'd take 2004 over it just because there's more characters to choose from.

Sep 24, 2005
I like the sniper rifle in UT3 more then the lightning gun or sniper rifle from ut2004. That thread is merely a complaint thread about how the aiming system in UT3 seems to have been loaded with trojans.
The UT3 sniper rifle is better, but due to aiming issues, i can't hit anything.

But that was a jolly good attempt at a comback right there! :tup: If this forum had a rep system i'd give you +1.

Maybe you should practice a bit more, if you can't hit anything with it. And I don't need anything from you.

DD

Goober
May 29, 2000
For DM/TDM I am surprised to say that I like UT2k4 much better.

The weapons in UT3 are overpowered. The lack of FF makes everything basically a spamfest. UT2k4 required a lot more skill. Double jumps, wall jumps, shieldgun, fast weapon switch all required skill. Sure the LG ruled on certain maps and only in the hands of some players.

UT3 is just spam away. There are so many lucky kills in UT3 by spamming 3 rox, fully charged goo, ect.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
I liked the UTClassic mutator in UT2003 best! It had nothing to do with UTClassic as far as I could tell but the game rocked with it.
Unfortunately the one in UT2004 is completely different.

My list from top to bottom:
1. Unreal Championship 2
2. UT2003 with the UTClassic mutator
3. UT2004
4. UT3 (but it's mostly about technicalities and maps. The gameplay is on par with UT2004, in my opinion. The HOLPs pushed the game up a great deal too)
5. UT99
6. UT2003
8. Unreal MP
7. Unreal Championship 1