Brink

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Well, the "classes" are much, much less fixed than TF2. You have light/Medium/Heavy, but those simply dictate the HP and agility of your character, and agility means a lot in Brink.

The classes are weapon loadouts rather than a class. You can also change loadout without respawning. Also, each weaponset can be varied to each combat role (within reason). So you can vary the firepower for each map depending on what role you want to play. It looks a lot more fluid and natural than TF2's system.

Tribes was always better.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Reminds me of sorta the direction RPG for INV has gone on ut2k4 (in some of the versions out there) in the class system.

I thought this looked pretty good till in the quakecon interview the CEO dropped a hint that it's objective based. I hate that crap in a class based scenario, it's limiting to the point of making gameplay painfull for me.

It certainly has nice graphics though. Wish my doom3/Quake4/Prey games looked that good.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
The way you've described it sounds a lot more like CoD than TF2. Which is a good thing. No medic, no "That one guy have access to only 2-3 unique weapons" kind of boringness. I can understand why it's there and how it works well for a game of that genre like TF2, but I'd really hoped the game developers would drop it now, something fluid is always better, perks, abilities and whatnot decided by the player himself.

Not necessarily. It's quite possible to create a 'best' class/loadout like that.
Example: Bad company 2 medic class. Some of their machine guns are so good in combination with their heavy armor and healthpacks/defibs that in many servers, you'll see 70% of the players using a medic. The specific perks of the assault class and other classes are often dwarfed the all-round usefulness of a well-equipped medic (depending on map, of course).

I can imagine a situation like this happening with your proposed class system very easily. All-round almost always > specialized, therefore you'll see everyone running around with similar if not identical loadouts.

I like a game where a Medic can't also be on the frontlines dishing out the pain, or where a sniper can't carry a shotgun to get up close.

--

As for the game itself, I'm not entirely convinced, sort of like Bulletstorm. The idea itself sounds fun, but I have my doubts about the execution of these ideas. Both games sound quite a lot like they promote a playstyle that's very figured-out already: what you're supposed to be doing and how is immediately clear, the only discerning quality between players is how well they do it. Many modern FPS games suffer from this, I'm just hoping these won't.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Preorder bonus already showing up on Steam. Even though the game is still 180-ish days away.

Not necessarily. It's quite possible to create a 'best' class/loadout like that.

From the content of my post I meant this game has no class like Medic, engineer or whatnot. Which is good.

Man, February is the new ****ing November. Sigh. Bulletstorm and Brink released the same day.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Reminds me of Borderlands. 5 types of guns with 1,000,000 combinations.

More like 30-ish guns and 10,000 combination.
I'll be more worried about the gameplay and if it runs fine on this silly PC.

What I've seen about the gameplay so far is a TF2 with Mirror's Edge mobility. Not something extraordinary or tempting.
I don't really like team-based shooters.

But anyway, I like their themes and ideas set up so far: Each factions are basically being lunatic over survival or protection, there's no good or bad guys, they have their own causes and issues.

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Still seems to much like QW:ET to me.

I know my work place has a bunch of big screens running a bunch of trailers. Among them is this:
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-kVnw4RA80[/M]
With a release date listed at the end. We get our trailers from publishers so the release date must be at least aproved speculation. Not sure what it was but I think it was march or april some time.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
I actually am looking forward to this one.