Brink

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
I'm kind surprised no one has made a topic about it before, cause the game looks interesting (to me anyways) and it runs on iD Tech 4, which is awesome

960407_125285_front.jpg

1. It's got big names on its back, SD and BS, and that's a plus for me.
  2. It's being developed for next gen consoles and ported to PC

They are oh so proud about their awesome S.M.A.R.T (Smart Movement Across Random Terrain) movement system, which should have been called S.M.E.D.F (Something Mirror's Edge Did First) cause that's basically what it is, a kind of improved version of the movement mechanics present on ME, adapted into a heavy shooter

They way I see it, it's Borderlands meets Mirror's Edge meets Team Fortress 2 meets my balls

Here you have a long press statement and 17 minutes of HD gameplay

So, what do you guys think? I'l definitely keep an eye on it

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
the graphics and the sound effects are outstanding, but I didn't really see anyone make use of the SMART movement system. in those particular videos it was just a bunch of run and gunning that looked like a straight up cross between Borderlands and TF2.

experience points for kills and objectives + class roles like an engineer dropping automated turrets while buffing/healing team mates.

like anything, we'll have to wait until it's better polished and more readily available for review before making up our minds. though it surely looks promising at this point.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
UE3? Really? I just read somewhere else that it runs on a modified id Tech4.

hmmm. Either way it looks freaking badass.
Probably could have had Killzone 2 a year or two earlier in retrospect...

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The way they bring out "character customization" and their "SMART" movement system that is nearly identical to Mirror's Edge as a main feature of the game, is worrying.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
The way they bring out "character customization" and their "SMART" movement system that is nearly identical to Mirror's Edge as a main feature of the game, is worrying.

Really? Why worrying?

I'm actually surprised that more games haven't taken advantage of the very wonderful freerunning that Mirror's Edge had. It was elegant and exciting and cool. I was very much hoping that DICE would have implemented in into their Battlefield series, but so far no luck.

I liked the way the demo used it. It was helpful for running away and getting a good location, but it wasn't the focus on the gameplay (which was pretty much another shooter with team fortress style mechanics. The only thing that was sort of annoying is that people hold their weapons while clambering up. That's sort of bullcrap, but whatever. I hope they add some cute little futuristic sling so you can drop the weapon when its time to climb and grab it again quickly when done, but it's not a huge deal.

I like the art style (though wish enemies were more distinguishable) and it looks beautiful (though they need to chill out with the overly intense blur) and it looks fun. It's still a ways out, but unless they manage to screw this game up it seems a dead lock for picking up.

~Jason

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Really? Why worrying?

I'm actually surprised that more games haven't taken advantage of the very wonderful freerunning that Mirror's Edge had. It was elegant and exciting and cool.

Yeah.. I'm not saying the idea is bad, I'm saying they're making it as a main feature of the game. And character customization.. cool. But why all this prominence? Shouldn't they have something new to show us?

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
A generic console shooter with pretty graphics and a false sense of depth via a class system.

OH GAWD LET ME WHIP OUT MY CHECKBOOK.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I don't think anyone is saying we should "whip out" our wallets just yet.
but you need to keep an open mind to an extent, or someday you're gonna' be so cynical about gaming that you might as well give it up entirely. and I know you don't wanna' do that.

just noticed in your sig that you actually gave Borderlands a positive review, maybe there's hope for you yet :D

Last edited:

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
I think the game looks interesting, but so did a bunch of games this fall that I didn't end up buying. (Hooray for student budget.)

There's really nothing too innovative on its own. The isolated utopian city is akin to Bioshock, as the classes are to Team Fortress, and the free running to Mirror's Edge. However, putting these ideas together might have an interesting result, or it might fail. Either way, I think it's advancing the industry from previous ideas, or at least it's trying to, and that's worth watching.