Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Hot Fuzz 8/10

I finally got round to unwrapping the DVD that has been sitting on the shelf for the last couple of years and I'm glad I did.

Much better than Sean of the Dead, it managed to be very funny and yet still keep a creepy "Wickerman" village vibe burbling along nicely.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
The Thing (2011)
Meh/10

Your review couldn't be anymore suck ass. What did you find meh about it? Was it the lack of tension compared to the '82 version? Was it the over use of CGI? Was it the lackluster 3rd Act? Did you even bother to stick around for the after credit sequence?

I personally would have given it a 7 just for the references alone. They nailed split face, explained how the dude ended up with his wrists cut, and even the axe in the door. A prequel that borrows too much from the original but still was rather enjoyable.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace-6.5/10

I always liked this as a title.

There's no doubt that the prequel trilogy would be a stunning audio/visual feat that stretched the limits of modern cinema technology. That being said they were never going to be three films that matched the magic of the original trilogy.

It is interesting, with all three of these flicks totally done to death now, to see how some of the dialogue in this flick really hints at the films to come in Eps. 2 and 3.

However Lucas could never write good dialogue and in this film it just makes the kid a really annoying brat. (Something that carried over into the adult Anakin Skywalker). Writing dialogue for the kid that makes him sound adult is just lame. I never liked the choice of the kid actor in this film. If Lucas had picked someone else I would have probably given this a 7.5/10.

Definitely the weakest of the prequel films despite the stunning eye candy. My opinion.

Nonesense. The lightsaber duel in Empire built up for a good while in the pit of my stomach as Luke walked alone in the belly of Cloud City, finally finding Vader in that room where they froze Han. The whole setting for that battle was more visceral than all the action scenes in all three prequel movies put together. Luke was caked in sweat, his clothes tore and stained in the grime that must have been covering the walls of that complex. When he hit Vader in the shoulder that one time? Holy crap! And lets not forget how it ends. Highest point in Star Wars.

The new lightsaber fights....dunno. I was fifteen I think, maybe sixteen when Phantom hit theaters. When Maul's twin blades pop out the first time was certianly cool. But the fight itself....yeah, it was faster. But there was no tension. All so choreographed that even as a teenager, all endorphins and mountain dew, I felt like I was watching a circus act rather than an epic showdown. Plus, the principle characters involved...who gave a shit about what happened to any of them, honestly? That does not a gripping duel make.

Last edited:

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Phantom Menace may be deeply flawed in a great many ways, but in my opinion it does have the best lightsaber fight of all six films.

There a so many great light sabre battles in the prequels. They are everywhere in the films. Must have been able to buy them at Walmart during the days of the old Republic.

In fact the light sabre battle choreography across all three of the prequel films rocks. There must have been a lot of Walmarts in the old Republic......

Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones-7.5/10

After the annoying kid we now get an annoying adult Anakin. However this is really where the series gets rolling properly in my opinion.

Incredible art direction. Incredible visuals. This is sci-fi on an immense scale that was promised in the first film.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
There, fixed that for you.

It might sound like damming with faint praise but I think it is worth mentioning the art direction. Always a strength in the earlier films, I though the look that they captured in TPM was great. Flashy, modern and yet "earlier".

I can tell you why the art direction in the first three Star Wars movies(read: the originals not this CGI borefest) is superior! George Lucas ripped off the hard work of Jean Giraud aka Möbius and Alexander Jodorowski who tried to film Dune before Lynch got the job.

http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowsky/

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith-8/10

I wouldn't ever take young kids to see this movie. It's dark, it's violent and it's definitely the most "adult" of the Star Wars films (both series). Someone getting burned alive is a bit too much for the kiddies.

The opening battle scene above Coruscant is a staggering display of attention to detail and digital composting that has rarely been matched (sorry about the pun).

I think Portman steals the performance in this film. She really kicked her acting up a gear for this.

The special features/deleted scenes on the DVD's for the prequel trilogy point to the fact that Lucas has considered reinstating some of this material in (yet another) director's cut. In fact there was one small scene added to the DVD release of Clones that wasn't in the theatrical release.

It's over George. There's nothing more to see here George...... move along now.

And you still can't write dialogue Mr Lucasfilm.............

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Drive - 5/10

Ryan Gosling (who?) tries to be all laconic and cool looking in this (very) slow burning movie about a dude who's stunt driver by day and a hire for any job driver by night.
Whatever.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith-8/10

I wouldn't ever take young kids to see this movie. It's dark, it's violent and it's definitely the most "adult" of the Star Wars films (both series). Someone getting burned alive is a bit too much for the kiddies.

The opening battle scene above Coruscant is a staggering display of attention to detail and digital composting that has rarely been matched (sorry about the pun).

I think Portman steals the performance in this film. She really kicked her acting up a gear for this.

The special features/deleted scenes on the DVD's for the prequel trilogy point to the fact that Lucas has considered reinstating some of this material in (yet another) director's cut. In fact there was one small scene added to the DVD release of Clones that wasn't in the theatrical release.

It's over George. There's nothing more to see here George...... move along now.

And you still can't write dialogue Mr Lucasfilm.............

That's a high rating for a very mediocre movie.

Redlettermedia's review is spot on imho. The prequels are just one big mess of digital overkill, cardboard acting, pacing is horrific, terrible writing (what storyline?). There's no passion, no soul despite all what's going on. Most characters are completely destroyed (yoda's lightsaber scene in episode 2 f.e.) There's hardly any true creativity, lots being borrowed from the old movies. The list just goes on...

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFpxBSyWG0[/m]

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
There's hardly any true creativity, lots being borrowed from the old movies. The list just goes on...
That could be 99% of all movies that have come out of Hollywood in the last ten years or more.

Another remake of the Thing?

And isn't it about time someone told JJ Abrams that he has never had an original film or tv idea in his whole life.

I was rating it mainly on the cinema tech. I think I said that.