SPORE video

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
Thread resurrection!

e3 vid

It's not much more than the GDC vid, but one's less of a trailer and shows more unedited gameplay. Cool stuff.

XxDangerxX

Jan 20, 2008
NSW, Australia
www.myspace.com
People have said that, considering people's behaviour to The Sims and Sim City series, it might get old fastish, despite the infinite possibilities.

But here's the way I see it:

You spend 50+ bucks to spend a day at disneyland (I've never been to the US so I don't know the price, but it's a guess based on some of the good theme parks here in Australia). So if you buy this game and it lasts you a week, you got your money's worth! :p

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
People have said that, considering people's behaviour to The Sims and Sim City series, it might get old fastish, despite the infinite possibilities.

But here's the way I see it:

You spend 50+ bucks to spend a day at disneyland (I've never been to the US so I don't know the price, but it's a guess based on some of the good theme parks here in Australia). So if you buy this game and it lasts you a week, you got your money's worth! :p

I don't believe this compares well to the sims/sim city games well at all to be honest. The problem with both of them is, for me atleast, that you spend all your time doing nothing at all. You'll spend 5 horus or so building up a massive city or poking your sims about and somewhere along the way you realise that your not actually having fun, you wonder why your not having fun, surely you must be having fun, everyone else is having fun, maybe the fun is coming soon, maybe it's not, maybe this is all there is too it... maybe your doing something wrong, maybe your meant to be achieving something else instead at this stage you should stop... but you probably don't. I've always thought the objective of those games was to "have fun" and personally i never completed them. ;)

Maybe if you can get a decent income from your sims job, get him some happy relationships or so, maybe make your city profitable some prize or brilliant event will occur. Some reward for the work you put in but no.... there is nothing. In fairness these games aren't really games, the clue is in the title, they are simulations really just kinda quirky ones. Lets face it the only real fun you get is when you doing stuff your not really meant to. Killing your sims or rolling in tornadoes and floods or so.

Spore is different though, from the get go your hand crafting stuff. This isn't pre made building models/sprites or slightly adjustable player models. Though there might not be a true game completion section, messing about creating new creatures and throwing them up against others will be loads more entertaining than the sims games or so. In truth I consider Spore to be completely different, for spore is a game, whilst the sims games and their varients are, as far as i'm concerned simulations. (especially the last "The Sims" game that had little to no cusomisation.)

I reckon the customising of creatures/building/vehicles will keep people playing Spore for a long while and even if it doesn't it won't matter, it's not like a proper mmorpg where you need player filled servers. ;)

Last edited:

cuddles

Jan 31, 2008
The creature creator trial got leaked.

2046323561f640d6284702fd958e1934e2270bb.jpg

2046326b2d4a932d9bb006b1d21af4ffef5924f.jpg

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
My creature:

It was gonna be released on the 17th of June anyways and be free. So to me its no big deal if it got leaked a little early.

I call it Giganticus WTHeckicus. The idea is he fell into the galactic garbage disposal and was fused with all the leftover parts from other species.

Attachments

• CRE_Gianticus WTHeckicus-067ddb68_ful.jpg
    CRE_Gianticus WTHeckicus-067ddb68_ful.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 41

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!

That's pretty funny. I've got to say one of the first things i wanted to do was see if i could make a fairly convincing human shape... not necessarily with such enlarged appendages however.

I have managed to get a copy but all i have is a suspicous .exe file in a zip folder and i'm not convinced by it, don't suppose you guys know what size the installation file was do you?

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
I wanna make a mario look-a-like. First thing I'm gonna try once I get the demo working;)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I guess we already know how EA is going to f up the game ... by using the same internet-based authentication and re-authenticating thing they've used on Mass Effect.
And given how many times the game 'needs' to link to the internet for extra content I'm sure there's a way to force you to pay for extra content as well ('no access to star X until you pay ... ).

I expect similar problems to 'the sims' and 'simcity'. You either get 'it' and manage to create /evolve a reasonably successful creature or you don't and you'll be stuck.
This may simply be 'The sims' for boys ...