SPORE video

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I think that's from ctrl-x and ctrl-v ing from my double post originally. Will fix that. Basically it was just a link to the actual presentation... sadly they left out all the slides, but there's some good musing on the nature of care bears which is pretty funny to listen to. The gameplay video cuts out all the presentation stuff between gameplay segments. The pacing of the demonstration withthe presentation is just great.

The Jackal-XMP said:
I just used the GoogleVideo because it's fast, you don't have to wait, and it's free.

I don't know what you mean by the "..." in the link. It works just fine for me when I click on it.

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Angel_Mapper said:
New drinking game: Take a shot every time he says "procedurally generated".
The little critter just left the ocean (@5mins). I'd be so hammered if I were playing that drinking game right now!

Looks so cool, though. What kind of hardware will it require?

EDIT: The music they're playing while the critter is attacking another is the old Star Trek fight music!

Last edited:

GotBeer?

Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Affirmative.

So, multiplayer only starts when you start exploring the galaxy? And then it's only multiplayer in that your computer takes control of another player's creation the first time you visit their planet, and you never actually interact? I'd like to see a little more involvement than that, although I can see the problems faced when you consider some people may not play as often as others. So, I could go away for a week and return to find my planet subjugated by evil analrapists from the planet BobCobb or something.

I'd be a happy person if I never heard "procedural" again.

Enfyrneaux

Apr 4, 2002
Later this afternoon
Visit site
Airmoran said:
Also, imagine the size of the save files. PSP saves are designed to fit well on a the included 32-meg memory stick and the DS, well, you can put somewhat sizable saves on there, but chances are they won't when they can redesign the game to "fit on handhelds" better.
Procedural content is often trivially small in storage...just look at .kkrieger:

full1.jpg

The entire game is 96k, and quite frankly looks better than Doom3 in some places.

Bean 3:16

Apr 27, 2000
Visit site
Airmoran said:
Also, imagine the size of the save files. PSP saves are designed to fit well on a the included 32-meg memory stick and the DS, well, you can put somewhat sizable saves on there, but chances are they won't when they can redesign the game to "fit on handhelds" better.
One of the selling points for this game was that the save files would be trivially small. Like...in the single KB. The idea that he wanted was that people could easily combine the universes that they created just by sending this tiny files.

/Ha, me and Enfyrneaux both said trivially small!

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
jevus said:
I just hope the game doesn't get repetetive because it looks great. :tup:

Yeah, i first thought it was a "Evolve and survive" kind when then i was kinda dissapointed to see that you see dinausors using a technology way more advanced than us atm. And all that in a fraction of second. Also, the UFO abillity to desrtoy a planet the 'KTHXBAI' way was kinda rushed on the gameplay, well, at least it's a offline option, i guess.

THey all seem to have walls surounding the whole bases and nothing else. It might get very repetitive. I mean, you explore in that ufo all the time and shot planets.....

Don't get me wrong, the begening is awesome. But some character are just...

Last edited:

GotBeer?

Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Enfyrneaux said:
Procedural content...
What did I just say :mad:

Kantham, I'm guessing that getting the UFO, and then getting it's ability to destroy a whole planet, is going to take a looonnggg time.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Kantham said:
Yeah, i first thought it was a "Evolve and survive" kind when then i was kinda dissapointed to see that you see dinausors using a technology way more advanced than us atm. And all that in a fraction of second. Also, the UFO abillity to desrtoy a planet the 'KTHXBAI' way was kinda rushed on the gameplay, well, at least it's a offline option, i guess.

THey all seem to have walls surounding the whole bases and nothing else. It might get very repetitive. I mean, you explore in that ufo all the time and shot planets.....

I don't think you get the idea.. The whole game is offline, you just download copies of content from other users. So you when you blow up a planet you won't destroy someone elses work, but a copy of it. Once you get the UFO you can explore other galaxies and colonize them (after making an atmosphere) It's not about shooting planets...

I can't wait till this is available !

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Kantham said:

Yeah it's important to remember that the demo is scaled in realtime, he didn't accellerate and skip ahead some bits to show us different aspects of the game or anything. It will be perfectly possible to go from plankton to world destroying UFO in 35 minutes in the actual game.
It is indeed too bad that the characters suck. It would be better if you could make them yourself, right?

Fuzzle said:
Yeah it's important to remember that the demo is scaled in realtime, he didn't accellerate and skip ahead some bits to show us different aspects of the game or anything. It will be perfectly possible to go from plankton to world destroying UFO in 35 minutes in the actual game.
It is indeed too bad that the characters suck. It would be better if you could make them yourself, right?

? Did you watch the video? If you did, did it have sound for you? Were you infact paying attention at all?

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I'm pretty sure they've stated you have to research/buy the stuff for your UFO. So you probably won't be able to planetbust anything right off the bat.

Kantham said:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
_Zd_Meelobee_ said:
It's not about shooting planets...

LOL i know. I am impressed by this game as everyone here of course. Like someone mentioned all the datas and technology it use, it might take the CPU of the 'very-very-very-true-paradise' to be able to run it. The 'evolve and survive' kind is what that i really look for right now. And the ability to create your VERY own race is kinda cool. But this game looks very repetitive.