OK WTF Honduras!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
This Space For Rent

LOL.
Whats the difference between this video, and a National Geographic one.
Were it's a Lion killing a cow?

In this video.
The camera crew gets cheeseburgers from the cow.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I believe the differance is that we are supposed to be more intelligent then the lion and capable of finding ways of getting our lunch that doesn't involve wanton suffering by said lunch.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I just noticed he was hitting it with the blunt end of an axe? Umm why not use a hammer instead? Nothing makes sense.

Last edited:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
If you believe the meat you are eating comes from an animal that died without suffering needlessly, you're wrong.

Nevermind that the meat you are eating most likely comes from an animal that already suffered while living.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I am sure this will light a fire under some people

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uieB-dz5E1c&feature=related[/M]

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
[GU]elmur_fud;2518432 said:
Seriously messed up. I understand he is destined for food, but good grief.

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnVem-KvJF4[/M]

I found this because some asshat thought this was funny and put it in the funny animated gifs section on gifsoup.com

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/2645533/killin-cow.html
This is no different then some of the places here in the US that do the exact same thing. The only difference is that when the places here are caught doing that, they get a fine or are shut down.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
If you believe the meat you are eating comes from an animal that died without suffering needlessly, you're wrong.

Nevermind that the meat you are eating most likely comes from an animal that already suffered while living.

I have seen videos from large American slaughter houses. Far more surgical and less traumatic then this.

I grew up in the middle of farmland USA. One of the first jobs I had was "bucking" hay for feeding beef cattle. Which is to say you throw 75lb square hay bales onto a flat bed truck and you are payed by the bale. I was good so I made .15 -.20 a bale which sounds paltry but the average day was 500 -1000 bales. MOST cows are well fed and well taken care of because they are valued by the pound.

As far as slaughtering a cow for personal use goes some farmers I knew went as far as to call the vet and have the animal put down. Still others buy a tranq. and then shoot it. Most just shoot the animal. There are even people who make there living as a 1 shot 1 kill sort of person. I am not sure of the exact place to aim but I have seen this in person when one of my uncles dairy cows broke a leg. Cow dropped didn't move didn't make even a noise anymore. Certainly let every1 know it was in pain b4 hand though.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
This Space For Rent

[GU]elmur_fud;2518435 said:
I believe the differance is that we are supposed to be more intelligent then the lion and capable of finding ways of getting our lunch that doesn't involve wanton suffering by said lunch.

Lions some times eat snacks that are still alive :rolleyes:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
[GU]elmur_fud;2518446 said:
I have seen videos from large American slaughter houses. Far more surgical and less traumatic then this.

Quote from Jonathan Safran Foer's "Eating Animals", page 224ff:

"At a typical slaughter facility, cattle are led through a chute into a knocking box - usually a large cylindrical hold through which the head pokes. The stun operator, or 'knocker', presses a large pneumatic gun between the cow's eyes. A steel bolt shoots into the cow's skull and then retracts back into the gun, usually rendering the animal unconscious or causing death. Sometimes the bolt only dazes the animal, which either remains conscious or later wakes up as it is being 'processed'. [...]
In twelve seconds or less, the knocked cow - unconscious, semi-conscious, fully conscious, or dead - moves down the line to arrive at the 'shackler', who attaches a chain around one of the hind legs and hoists the animal into the air.
From the shackler, the animal, now dangling from a leg, is mechanically moved to a 'sticker', who cuts the carotid arteries and a jugular vein in the neck. The animal is again mechanically moved to a 'bleed rail' and drained of blood for several minutes. A cow has in the neighborhood of five and a half gallons of blood, so this takes some time. Cutting the flow of blood to the animal's brain will kill it, but not instantly (which is why the animals are supposed to be unconscious). If the animal is partially conscious or improperly cut, this can restrict the flow of blood, prolonging consciousness further. 'They'd be blinking and stretching their necks from side to side, looking around, really frantic,' explained one line worker.
The cow should now be a carcass, which will move along the line to a 'head-skinner,' which is exactly what it sounds like - a stop where the skin is peeled off the head of the animal. The percentage of cattle still conscious at this stage is low but not zero. [...]
After the head-skinner, the carcass (or cow) proceeds to the 'leggers,' who cut off the lower portions of the animal's legs. 'As far as the ones that come back to life,' says a line worker, 'it looks like they're trying to climb the walls. ...And when they get to the leggers, well, the leggers don't want to wait to start working on the cow until somebody gets down there to reknock it. So they just cut off the bottom part of the leg with the clippers. When they do that, the cattle go wild, just kicking in every direction.'
The animal then proceeds to be completely skinned, eviscerated, and cut in half, at which point it finally looks like the stereotyped image of beef - hanging in freezers with eerie stillness."

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006

Honestly, this doesn't bother me at all. I personally don't eat beef that goes through such factory processes (preferring free range beef from area farmers--which can, admittedly, bring their own problems into the mix), but I have no ethical qualms about such a thing. It is unfortunate when something goes wrong and the animal is still alive, but this is the exception to the rule, and is something that everyone wants to be avoided (even if from the purely capitalist point of view that a live, struggling cow has more of a chance of mucking things up). As an omnivore, it is my belief that animals can be eaten, and while I believe that pains should be taken not to cause unnecessary pain and suffering to the animal, that doesn't mean that one should swing wildly to the far end of the spectrum and stop eating meat.

And yes, I would eat a cat, a dog, whatever. I don't believe the the ability to emotionally bond with a pet makes other animals (even of the same species) off limits. I also do not buy the ridiculous slippery slope arguments that people make. No, I would not condone such practices on people. Likewise, I would not condone keeping people locked up as pets. Nor would I condone involuntary milking of people, nor do I think that people should live shelterless in the prairie. A line can be drawn that both allows for the consumption of animals and also for moving in direction of establishing and enforcing best possible practices. If that doesn't sit well with you as a person, then so be it, but for me, I see no essentially problem with it. And yes, I've seen the documentaries and read the books. I have killed and prepared a deer and other animals (chickens, etc.). I don't like doing it, because it's gross, but I have no essential problem with it.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Honestly, this doesn't bother me at all.

I think Ben wanted to point out Elmur's hipocrisy in assuming that his meat has been slaughtered more humanely than that Honduras bull(btw. didn't bother watching that video, seen enough live).

edit: ok, now I did watch the video. that wasn't so bad. no unneccessary violence etc. Just like halal or kosher isn't that bad either...

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
When you eat, something else dies. Die nicely, die painfully...does it really matter? End result is the same. If you don't want things to die, don't eat.

This is sort of what's wrong with humankind now. Most are so removed from the process it sickens them to see it.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
[GU]elmur_fud;2518446 said:

I grew up in the middle of farmland USA. One of the first jobs I had was "bucking" hay for feeding beef cattle. Which is to say you throw 75lb square hay bales onto a flat bed truck and you are payed by the bale. I was good so I made .15 -.20 a bale which sounds paltry but the average day was 500 -1000 bales. MOST cows are well fed and well taken care of because they are valued by the pound.

As far as slaughtering a cow for personal use goes some farmers I knew went as far as to call the vet and have the animal put down. Still others buy a tranq. and then shoot it. Most just shoot the animal. There are even people who make there living as a 1 shot 1 kill sort of person. I am not sure of the exact place to aim but I have seen this in person when one of my uncles dairy cows broke a leg. Cow dropped didn't move didn't make even a noise anymore. Certainly let every1 know it was in pain b4 hand though.

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr00arV2XIw[/M]

...or my favorite version:

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9nN3XNs2yY[/M]