What direction do you want the next UT game to go?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What would you like to see in the next UT game?

• Total voters

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Learning curve lol...

You know what levels that learning curve right out?

Quad Core Intel.
4gig of ram.
Nvidia 8800gt or better.

BAM, no more steep learning curve.

There are plenty of people that like this game, and don't play it.
There are a handful of people who think this is the best UT game to date.

The former are die hard fans who have average systems.
The latter are people who have top of the line systems.

Some of them have gone from former to latter.

That's my experience. That's my solution for fixing this game. Hand out quad cores and ram like condoms at a safe sex rally.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
... i think theyre lookin to get another crack at this.

TF and BF etc are different games, and theres alot more of them than when UT hit the scene... its a different day in fps gaming
which is exactly why any sequel to UT3 should be thought of very very carefully.
It may even be better to start a new IP with the same kind of ideas as Unreal-series, because that would allow them to experiment.

no, you DONT have to get around the higher learning curve at all. what they DO have to do is make the game polished, interesting and different enough that players WANT to take the time to learn...
the problem is that all the polish in the world can't hide the fact that as soon as you try to play on-line you'll be either slaughtered or labelled 'cheater'.
That is something no one can fix.

...ummm no, there used to be a much larger "unreal community" out there, a mostly friendly and actively modding one. you remember, you contributed alot to it. sure, its ALOT smaller now ...
which makes the complaining about minor stuff (like the endless "consolized" and "crappy GUI"-rants) a bit too much.

thats only true if you dont have fun making it. mods are the same as any art or creative project. you should only do it if you WANT to, not cause you think anyone is going to say Wow or Thank you. (cause they usually dont) getting a job? maybe slightly more likely as it is in music or other entertainment biz (but on a lil smaller scale)
but that's exactly what is not happening.
Mod-requests and even engine-changes are made because the teams feel a need to be (as popular as) the next counterstrike. They are usually worrying about pleasing their fan-base before even a single proof of concept is finished.

you mean like what you just said? (unless you dont consider yourself part of the community anymore) :) i used to think you were rational Jafo...
I am rational. I really think that it may be time to stop this IP before it degrades into something that no one wants to touch with a ten-foot pole.

GoW proofs that they've got plenty of interesting ideas if they don't have to stick to old stuff.

A sequel to UT/Unreal in spirit may be the thing that could bring the genre back into the limelight.
It might even be a Tournament set in the GoW-universe ...

I doubt that something like a UT2k4-like sequel to UT3 can be done without hurting the community even more as now the fans will know that any discounts won't be available to them unless they live in the USA.

You know what levels that learning curve right out?

Quad Core Intel.
4gig of ram.
Nvidia 8800gt or better.

BAM, no more steep learning curve.
or you could just buy the PS3/Xbox 360-version ... it would be easier to convince people to do that as well.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
It may even be better to start a new IP with the same kind of ideas as Unreal-series, because that would allow them to experiment.

Isnt that what Unreal Championship was about?

GoW proofs that they've got plenty of interesting ideas if they don't have to stick to old stuff.

I kinda agree here, although GoW isnt always 100% original but it gives alittle bit of a different spin on things.

Personally I still think Epic went through alittle bit of a teething period because of the move to two teams and UT3 came out worse because of it. Not to say its a bad game but I really do believe more attention was put into the new IP.

As for the direction of the next UT game, make it a Gears of War killer, put Halo to shame, ****ing break the bank, take some risks. Unreal is where its at Epic :)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Unreal 3 would be pretty God-damned awesome if Epic did it up properly (co-op ftmfw) and hyped the hell out of it like they did with GoW. Then, once they'd captured the attention of millions, they could start pimping a multiplayer-only variation. It could be like 1998/1999 all over again. :eek:

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
The UT3 characters are hardly dwarves. They remind me of the toughy folks from UT1, something which I wanted after seeing the dot-guys of UT2k4.

I wish they were like the UT1 models. Those looked like human athletes, how you might expect someone who is running and dodging around. The ones in UT3 look all fat (I guess that's supposed to be "muscle") and have so many huge lumpy things on them, they look too heavy to move. They look like some kind of children's toys that we're supposed to take seriously in a violent bloody game.

The best player skins, by far, were in the original Unreal Tournament.

I agree, although I may like the Unreal 1 players even more.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Thanks for speaking for everyone, but no. theres lots of ppl playing UT3 offline (as all UTs past), and obviously lots of fans that expected the game would get more deserving attention than it got and so ended up getting released before it was polished and finished which would pretty much kill any game. but hey look, UT3 is still alive... its not what it could have been or where it should be in online #s, but its still kickin, even if with 1 leg ;)
if QA, Marketing and those involved in green lighting UT3 going gold had really done their job, it would prob be kickin alot more axe now than it is, but thats history and Epic is still devoting alot of time to actively support UT and the franchise... that tellls me anyway that there will be more UT and I think Epic are the kinda guys that don't take a release that could have been alot better very well, i think theyre lookin to get another crack at this.

TF and BF etc are different games, and theres alot more of them than when UT hit the scene... its a different day in fps gaming and no use in comparing now to then. despite that fact, Epic couldve dont much better by UT3 as for when and how it got released.

no, you DONT have to get around the higher learning curve at all. what they DO have to do is make the game polished, interesting and different enough that players WANT to take the time to learn... Social networking, polish and testing without robbing the exiting fanbase of what they are used to would be a good start.

ummm no, there used to be a much larger "unreal community" out there, a mostly friendly and actively modding one. you remember, you contributed alot to it. sure, its ALOT smaller now but its still there. you just have to look past all the whiney complaining llamas that have just wanted a new version of UT with better graphics for the last 10 years...

thats only true if you dont have fun making it. mods are the same as any art or creative project. you should only do it if you WANT to, not cause you think anyone is going to say Wow or Thank you. (cause they usually dont) getting a job? maybe slightly more likely as it is in music or other entertainment biz (but on a lil smaller scale)

you mean like what you just said? (unless you dont consider yourself part of the community anymore) :) i used to think you were rational Jafo...

jeez i shouldve saved these outbursts for my blog :eek:

You're brilliant and Epic should hire you. :)

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Unreal 3 would be pretty God-damned awesome if Epic did it up properly (co-op ftmfw) and hyped the hell out of it like they did with GoW. Then, once they'd captured the attention of millions, they could start pimping a multiplayer-only variation. It could be like 1998/1999 all over again. :eek:

You have no idea how much I want to go back to 1998 with cable :(

Last edited:

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
so why dnt u install UT99 again then??
its still very popular and many many people are still playing it
alot of servers are smacked with people;)

You didn't get what I meant. I want to fully live out the UT games by playing them with an actually good internet connection when they originally came out. I actually have UT99 installed and play it still though, however there aren't any stock servers anymore :c I mainly play 2k4 D:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
so why dnt u install UT99 again then??
its still very popular and many many people are still playing it
alot of servers are smacked with people;)
Servers with hundreds of mutators including instagib is not exactly "popular" :)

But it does have a lot of players still.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
yeah there has been very little "real" UT99 playing going on for a long time... the few times ive loaded it up its all insta-zark-sniper-superBIGmap-BIGhead-lowgrav-2xspeed-invasion servers that i could find with more than 2 ppl on them. and thats fine. im happy UT still lives on in some way or other :)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Indeed, UT 1 still has its share of players, but most servers are ridden with mutators and a ****load of models/skins/whatnot to download. There are very few vanilla servers.

There are also quite a few tacops servers. Yes, the game has undergone quite a few dramatic ;-) changes the past nine years.

The past couple of months the average amount of people playing goes up to 1400. I think once school starts again it might go up to 2000+ once more. Perhaps.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Whatever direction the next UT game goes, lets hope it doesn't go south!!

it's been there already ... the only way is up (or north ... lots of planets have a north you know)

So, uhh... The 10 users who voted for adding player classes to UT aren't banned for trolling yet?
it's not trolling if no one is there to take the bait ;)

besides ... I am convinced that a class-like system has potential for a game set in the Unreal-universe.

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Faster weapon switch.
Slightly faster rockets but with a smaller splash radius/damage.
Slightly more knockback from explosive splash.
Pulse primary gives self knockback. (Like pulse from Quake, wall climbing is good!)
Shock cores emit a positional sound (you can hear them coming and the direction)
Shock cores move slightly slower.
Impact hammer secondary can reflect projectiles if timed well.
Impact hammer audio volume is linked to its charge.
Replace the sniper rifle. It's just not uNreal enough! Lightning gun or something new to the same effect.
More complicated movement (strafe jumping would be amazing with UTs weapons).
Some cleaner looking maps! (I know that isn't likely given that UT is partly to showcase the engine but it would be nice)

After these changes it may be in need of re-balancing but i doubt it would be anything major.

Non gameplay changes :

In game IRC.
Clientside demo recording.
A greatly improved UI along with Advanced friend/clan support.

I think these changes would take UT a step in the right direction as far as competitive play goes. If i was any good at coding i would try out some of the easier changes. Perhaps it's time to try and learn again.