CTF-BlasphemyV2 User Review

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What do you think about this review?

• I agree 100% :)

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • You got it totally wrong I completely disagree

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • You are too friendly in your review

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • You are too harsh judging this map

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Descore

Frag victim
Nov 21, 2001
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
This review was moved from the NaliCity main forum where Axiom first requested a review on this map. Here he also posted the following link to the map: http://cdo.dhs.org/clergy/maps/ctf-blasphemyv2.zip

Blasphemy-1.jpg

First thing that struck me was the README file. I hope it was a bad attempt of irony but what came out was, simply put, the most arrogant P.O.S. I've ever seen, no useful info is in the readme which consists of just a copyright note and the following rant:

Notes: 'Axiom's Blasphemy' is McNally's Masterpiece and
highest contribution to Unreal Tournament.
A Godlike structure of Strategic layout, Exact
Placement of Textures and Inventory, Precision in
Bot pathing and Player Navigation, and an
Intricate Visual Design to make 'Axiom's Blasphemy'
A sincere competition among the Original Unreal
Tournament Levels.
Ok phew, that was some egorant, so held back a puke and thought, "Damn, this map better be good" and loaded it up..

Well the map is not bad, I'll give it that much, in fact it's fairly good in most technical aspects. The architecture is good but very repetitive. There is only one type of wall/floor on the entire level.

This could be good if it contributed to a great atmosphere, but the lighting doesn't back it up, it's the same dull reddish-brown lighting all over the map. The light is not sourced at all in the hallways below, and there is no real contrast between the lighted and non-lighted areas above - although there are some strange spotlights built into the walls (see screenshot below). These seem to serve no real purpose for the theme, but look as if they have been added because the author saw the need to "do something" with the lighting. The overall effect is a dusty, dullish cavelike atmosphere.

Also the map is a little too dark throughout. I had to manually enhance the screenshots' exposure to even make them viewable. I think this may be what sometimes happens when mappers use the software renderer for playtesting their map, because hardware always seems to render the screens darker, at least I've seen this happen before (eg. AS-Resurrection).

Blasphemy-3.jpg

What strikes me is that Axiom has tried to make a map that was perfect in every technical aspect and in trying to do so, he has forgotten about originality and created something that is very dry / sterile, perhaps "state of the art" on the technical front but otherwise quite uninteresting.

Blasphemy-2.jpg

The bot-pathing is decent but not brilliant, basically if you take the upstairs route you will get to the enemy base unchallenged most of the time, since the bots certainly prefer the ground floor.

Weapon and powerup placement - again like most aspects of this map it's good, but VERY conservative (ie. boring), there's nothing unpredictable about it, and after 15 minutes of play you feel you know the level inside out.

Blasphemy-4.jpg

Layout wise, some design elements remind me of Coret Facility and Command, without approaching the greatness of either of those. Again, it works but it is hardly original.

The music is from Trophy Room :rolleyes:... No custom textures/sound.

A map these days can not win on being technically well made alone. There are enough levels like that out. Something extra is required to make a map interesting, to make it stand out. This map just doesn't have that "something extra".

Blasphemy-5.jpg

Last but not least: My judgement is quite influenced by the tone of the readme file and the original post that made me write this review. The map is not bad at all, but then again it's not the amazing piece of machinery it's made out to be. I think a mapper should just say "Hey I made a map", and leave it to the players / reviewers to say "It's awesome" or "Not".

Score: 6.5 / 10

// Descore

PS: As this is my very first attempt at a review I would much appreciate comments either here or at descore98@infowares.com -- Thanks!

Last edited:

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
OK:

The layout is nice, the architecture is great, the texturing is well done but extremely limited.

The map is ugly.

This map is a rip-off of Darji (which is rarely played online) except it has too long hallways. It is boring to play, and hard on the eyes.

Other things were already nicely covered by Descore ;)

Architecture: 8/10
Texturing: 2.5/10
Lighting: 1/10
Botpathing: 5/10
Flow: 3.5/10
Item Placement: 6/10

Overall score: 4.3/10
I deleted it from my Maps directory.

Descore

Frag victim
Nov 21, 2001
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
Originally posted by Hourences
i told you about the light .....

Yup you told me to describe it better, which I hope I have done now :)

I still need to implement BangOuts suggestion that I describe the level better, but otherwise I think I have reacted to all comments I have received.

This review was good practice and next one I do, I'll use what I learned building up this one :)

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
"Why do you say the lighting is boring? I try to make my maps look real. I hate that techie bright contrasting blues and reds like CTF-Esprit's inner bases. The geometry isnt just ok:/ "

Where's hackr86's "4SSHAT" award when u need it?

Dip :p

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
typically arrogant newbiesh readme, hes hardly the first n00b to sit back from his first map and say "Damn, I OWN cliffyB's white ass"

Funny that this is the kind of attitude that people claim DavidM has when in fact its the 'poor n00bs' he apparently 'bashes' who have the real attitude problem.

Mmm, will download the map just to sample the lighting treats

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
good - mostly low poly count (exepct for the 300 spikes where it still looks like 150 polys)

mediocre - layout is dull

bad - reminds me of one of the 50 poly ps2 CTF maps

terrible - lighting is horrid

laughable - the readme

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
Sing along if you know the tune

The night is young and that map is so beautiful

Last edited:

BangOut

...smells like groin.
Nov 4, 2001
Right behind you...
I just got this (edited):

DavidM has reported this post:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?postid=879000#post879000

This is part of this thread:
CTF-BlasphemyV2 User Review
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?threadid=93495

This is the reason that the user gave:
akuma is being rude mean and cruel to n00bs he is bashing them yes!

This message has been sent to all moderators of this forum, or all administrators if there are no moderators.

Please respond to this post as applicable.

Both of you make me so proud. This community would be a barren wasteland of trolls and spam without you.

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
*sticks cigar in mouth*

Never before.
Have so many.
Been bashed.
So much.
By so few.

Um, possibly

Status
Not open for further replies.