Are multiplayer games dead?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[MD]FT

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Do you guys think that competitive gaming is dead fullstop? Not just for the UT series, but for other games as well.

Clans etc were at their peak when UT came out, and started getting really popular when Quake 2 \ TFC came out. You could go in the server browser, and you can guarantee that you can see 8 odd English UT CTF servers full, with players you know who have “reputations” in the scene. I can name loads. Wireplay, Jolt, Gamesinferno, Barrysworld, MPZ, Demon CTF etc. IF I remember Gamesinferno had around 5 CTF servers that held 16 players, and they were mostly full, the Face Only servers on Jolt, were full, and THAT was just for the UK alone

Now multiplayer communitys just seem to be……. Dead, the Jolt and Wireplay forums used to be packed with new posts every hour when they are not playing, playing UT was part of a lot of peoples lifes (how sad does that sound!?). You go on the Jolt \ Clanbase \ Wireplay forums now, and nobody posts.

I thought that it was just UT, until I checked the Counterstrike forums, which are just as bad, where are the main game supplier servers? Theres nothing like Barrysworld, Jolt, Gamesinferno anymore, most of the servers just seem to be ones hooked up at their unis, or at work. Prounreal has just turned into a total joke with whining brats (that place used to be respectable in its hayday). The above not only applys to competitive players, but casual players as well.

When UT2003\4 first came out, there were hardly no clans that started, I can only name two English clans (MD and DOA). Nobody really gave UT2003\4 a chance or just got bored of it in the first hour or so of playing, people had the attitude of “been there done that”. Quake 4 was the same, the game was near enough the same as Quake 3 (but with crappier maps) and it flopped, the people playing games now are totally different to when we first started playing games. People didn’t care about “powerup timings”, “item placement” “spam”. Peoples standards are a lot higher now than what they ever were. November was classed as a brilliant map in UT, but it had to be the most unbalanced map I have ever played, it was a lot of fun mind you, but nobody cared that the bases were different. Same goes for Coret, nobody cared that one team had a extra rocket pack than the other side. If a map like November was in UT2004, it would have been classed as “n00b” in the first minute of playing, and people will forget about it

I do really think that UT2007 is going to go the same way as Quake 4 unless they make ONS and Conquest take off, they need to find brand new players and try not to rely on the core players as much. No matter what people think, CTF and DM are going to be a secondary gametype for newbie players. We all want UT2007 to do well, but nothing will bring back thousands of players, it can be the best game of all time, but people now just aren’t interested

Am I just getting old? Or are multiplayer games now just dead, theres no massive leagues going (I cant name a CS one on top off my head), its not covered in computer magazines anymore. Do you think all of the “semi-serious” players have moved onto games like WoW?

SharKTanK

:zzz:
Oct 5, 2003
Manchester
There are lots more games to play.

Back in 99 there were maybe 3 games that had pretty good online play. (excluding old MMO's)

Quake 3
Unreal Tournament
Counter Strike

And that was generally it in my eyes, anyone feel free to correct me.

Now you have so much going on, so many different games... Not only are the old ones still around, but you have newer ones (Q4, UT2004, CSS for example) but now we have the likes of Call of Duty, Medal Of Honor, Battlefield2, FEAR, Painkiller, and those are just FPS games.

Put RTS games (although I don't know whether this is relevant since online RTS' have been popular since before I was probably even finished with primary school) MMO's (hell we all know how many people play WoW) and people just get divided up.

I'd also wager that a lot of the 1st generation players were a lot older in age, certainly around their 20's and 30's. People grow up, get married, move away etcetera etcetera, but that's not to say they stop playing all together, certainly fizzles it out a bit though. :)

Another point to consider is that the PC was the only platform that allowed for online play. Nowadays we have the PS2, we have the Xbox as well as the 360, PSP and DS. All of these attracting existing players, as well as potential players that might have played on their PC's instead. I know my brother and even my dad (who actually got me into Unreal Tournament in the first place) aren't interested in Online PC Play, why should they be, when they can jump on the 360?

Those are my thoughts anyway. I know you didn't mention anything about the quality of the communities (apart from prounreal) but I'd say it's still very strong. You just gotta hang round with the right crowd, if a clan is constantly being argumentative or just general ass-holes then they'll build up that reputation and it'll stick with em.

There may not be as many of us as there used to be, but, minus the exceptions we are still damn well loyal.

Last edited:

gades

The Grudge Master!
Nov 20, 2004
Behind you biatch!!
The ut2004 scene is mostly dead, some people claim ut99 has more players.

The players are either waiting for ut2007, or playing other games like WoW or Battlefield2.
:cool:

SharKTanK

:zzz:
Oct 5, 2003
Manchester
****, Double Post

Edit: Might as well use this.

gades said:
The ut2004 scene is mostly dead, some people claim ut99 has more players.

I would really beg to differ, it's hardly dead at all. There are tons of games, both official and friendlies played between all sorts of clans every single night, not to mention different pickups and publics that are nearly always full.

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
People need to get a grip.

I understand what you're saying completely, it's not exactly a great situation.

One massive reason is that back in the day, online gaming was a new thing to many people, it was a whole new world. But that was a long time ago, and it's just not a new an exciting thing anymore.

Buit I think a lot of it is the attitude of most players. The attitudes of a large proportion of the community sucks. What you mentioned about maps counts to a large degree, but I also think there's another reason.

The general attitude of a huge number of clans and clan players is arrogance. They refuse to play on pub servers because they're "n00b". Which means that the servers get less active, which means the servers die. Dead servers don't attract more people to play on them. Also, the sheer fact that "n00b" is an insult at all is pathetic imo. Being new at the game should not for a second mean that you should be a target for ridicule. Sadly, this has come to be the case. People seem to have forgotten that new players are what keeps a community alive.

Seems to me as if UT2003 has a lot to answer for. It wasn't a great game in terms of features and polish, but the main reason was that it was so hideously unfriendly to new players it wasn't even funny. That didn't help the game for a second.

But a lot of it is down to player attitude, or lack thereof. The fact that players refuse to adapt (arrogance again) helps to kill new games.

Players need to start realising that they have to adapt, and to just accept things. Like you said, back in UT99 people used to play maps that may had had flaws, but now they won't play anything that te handful of top-end players don't endorse. Which is why you end up with the same few maps getting played every time.

I'll buy UT2007, and I'll play it, regardless of the balance. My pretty vocal comments on what may or may not happen is that I'd like a game that caters for all players, not just the few idiots at the top that can't hack things that aren't "pro" enough.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Multiplayer competitive gaming would be completely dead if the only game avalible for the pc would be WarPath and Pariah. Period.

Gameplay = Genade luncher = Detonator = a lot of kills even with no skills at all = some random upgrade crap that makes the grenades stick and lock on targets = worse game designer that must really go work in a grocery store by now.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
Kantham said:
Multiplayer competitive gaming would be completely dead if the only game avalible for the pc would be WarPath and Pariah. Period.

Gameplay = Genade luncher = Detonator = a lot of kills even with no skills at all = some random upgrade crap that makes the grenades stick and lock on targets = worse game designer that must really go work in a grocery store by now.

I know you're a LEET level designer, go make a better game and don't come back until you're done please.

No, I don't think competitive gaming is dead, just in a lull. There are a plathora of things driving PC fps gamers away from gaming, such as the high cost of building a PC that can run new games, and other things like MMos that have the luster that FPS PC games are starting to lack.
I think that if consoles get multiplay abilities with PC on the internet, we'll see a resurgence of multiplayer FPS gaming.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Gaming? Dead? Really?

No.

How can you say that? People are playing it competativley right now. I always see things on these forums about competitions and such.

That new clan femmefatales appeared for ut99, and I'm sure more are still appearing.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Cymek said:
I know you're a LEET level designer, go make a better game and don't come back until you're done please.

What's up Cy?

You take stuff really seriously, And no, i am not a leet level designer, i learn new stuff everyday like everyone in this comunity. I was expecting something decent from warpath this time, when i noticed they don't even fixed the grenade luncher crap. It's just so rewarding regarding the minimal effort done.

For me competitive gaming still exist, and seriously, it seems like everyone is worried about the future release of every games, it's like the cancer lately.

Last edited:

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
Yeah the FPS competitive scene, as we know it, is dead. The reason probably being that competition worthy games weren't as fun as other games, and without the fun element there, too many pub players are taking the score seriously. When the gameplay doesn't yield anymore fun that getting on the scoreboard, there are bound to be less players.

We need more gimmicks, and not cheap kills, but a more deadly weapon system and a weapon and movement system that rewards players to do weird things and get upclose and personal.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
>I think it's just a lull right now, gaming is still growing but the "this has to be this way or i won't play it" attitude needs to stop. Also, newer games need different gameplay than older games to keep people wanting to play them. Take Quake 4 for an example, it changed some of the weapons and movment but to many it wasn't enough to be a better/different game than Quake3A and it wasn't really excepted by alot of people, however time will tell if it will be accepted. Games need lots of backing also, if Epic could do something like QuakeCon, the next UT might get a bigger fan base. Also the newer GOOD games need lots of backing from sponsors like Quake 4 is getting right now.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
briach said:
When the gameplay doesn't yield anymore fun that getting on the scoreboard, there are bound to be less players.
Indeed. That's all that's left of UT. If it's no fun for a newbie player to jump on one of the most-used pubs (Frac or Purg, for example), the game won't do well. Part of this is players' fault due to attitude, but I think UT2004's core gameplay is what caused all of this issue with the current state of the community. By being so screwed up in scale, the game has become nothing but a competition to see who can shoot hitscan the best. The game is hard to pick up and learn and no fun to lose at. It's easy to see why UT2004 should be dead. It's not, I suspect, because there still a fairly large group of people who love UT and don't want to let it go, even if it does suck. There are many more games that are much easier to pick up and are more satisfying to play, so no one plays UT2004.

As far as the overall multiplayer FPS scene, I think it's dying. I suspect within a few years it will die completely. As consoles are getting more and more powerful and thusly more and more like a PC, it's becoming stupider and stupider to shell out $2000 every two years to play a couple games when you can spend $500 every five years and play tons of games (or $1000 and get both/all three systems for tons and tons of games). ATI and nVidia have been sitting on a gold mine for quite some time, because the recent trend in PC gaming has been "OMG GRAFFICKS LOL" with little focus on the gameplay. We've gotten the same rehashed crap over and over and over again throughout the years only with better graphics at each iteration. A recent example is in the new Ghost Recon. It's the same crap as the original Rainbox Six - peak out from behind a rock or corner and shoot your M16 at a terrorist. How old is that gameplay? A decade? Older than that? Or take Q4. It boasts mildly decent graphics and the same gameplay... or does it? Not only did Q4 run very poorly, but their attempt at creating the same gameplay failed miserably. The game is nothing like Q3, so no one plays it. PC gaming suffers from a staleness not all that present on consoles. By having a fixed amount of visual power, console game developers do need to focus on improving and being inventive when it comes to gameplay. Since we're not seeing this on PC, and due to the multitude of game choices, there's a steady decline in justifying the price of a PC to play games. My prediction is that by the time the next Xbox and PS come out (Xbox 720 and PS4) PC gaming will be completely dead.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Kantham said:
What's up Cy?

You take stuff really seriously, And no, i am not a leet level designer, i learn new stuff everyday like everyone in this comunity. I was expecting something decent from warpath this time, when i noticed they don't even fixed the grenade luncher crap. It's just so rewarding regarding the minimal effort done.

For me competitive gaming still exist, and seriously, it seems like everyone is worried about the future release of every games, it's like the cancer lately.
What's up Kantham?

You take stuff really seriously, And CyMek is being his usual sarcastic self.

Multiplayer gaming is far from dead. I don't doubt for a moment that there are more multiplayer players than ever. It's just way too spread out over many different games and platforms.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Kantham said:

The build I've been playing is nothing like that at all. I don't even know where you're getting the "lock on target" grenade thing. Must be a different game.

While we're on the subject of WarPath, let me show you who has been working on it:

LEVEL DESIGN:
Mike Cranston
Rich 'Akuma' Eastwood - DM-Malevolence, CTF-Terra
Dave Ewing - CTF-Orbital, DM-Antalus, DM-Morpheus, AS-Overlord
Alex Muscat
Peter 'Rahnem' Respondek - AS-Glacier, DM-Corrugation
Jim Russell - DM-CBP-BlackJackal

ADDITIONAL LEVEL DESIGN:
Rich 'Heisher' Black - DM-Tydal, RO-Jucha
Nick 'Neoduck' Donaldson - DM-Meitak, DM-August Moon
Sjoerd De Long 'Hourences' - DM-Rankin, ONS-Dawn, ONS-Torlan, ONS-Dria, DM-Idoma
Sidney 'Clawfist' Rauchberger - CTF-Hyrdo, CTF-Noxion, DOM-Cidom, CTF-Pistola, ONS-Aridoom
Phillipp 'Soma' Urlich - DM-Goose, DM-Waisten, DM-Soma, DM-Achilles, DM-Fractionary

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Nereid said:
What's up Kantham?

You take stuff really seriously, And CyMek is being his usual sarcastic self.

There's the smilley for that.
As for warpath, i blame the game designer, not the level artist, the maps were OK. The grenade luncher was the worse part in pariah, Very poweful weapon that you just need a remote click to frag some, and some more then. Why in the world they kept it for Warpath??

After you frag some more, they drop ammopacks, which contains some more grenades for some more frags with a minimal effort. Once you aquire upgrates you can updade the weapon so the grenades are sticking on your targets, this is ridiculous. the only good thing about pariah and warpath are the visuals, i was expecting a good game from both of those 2 but no way.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The only thing more I'll say about it (because we are derailing the thread) is this: Sticky Mines are in UT2004 too. And the fact that the weapon takes 6 upgrade cores to reach that level means that you probably aren't going to have that weapon ability for most of the match. Note that the other weapons seem more powerful than they did in Pariah.

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
Consoles need keyboard/mouse before console FPS can touch PC FPS. They also need IRC :x and if these issues were resolved, I would instantly scrap my PC.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
You can plug a keyboard/mouse into a Console.

I think there's more to it that that. One thing is that if you're playing PC games, you go to places like this forum right from the game, whereas on a console you have to get up and go boot up and log in to talk. Doing game-related things on a PC is a lot easier and more natural then on a console

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
whoa whoa whoa, console FPS games are actually compatible with kb/mouse now? I remember some RTS game using it but I didn't know that FPS games do. Confirm/deny? I may just have to buy a PS3