Are multiplayer games dead?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Sir_Brizz said:
LOL I would consider that sucks at all games.
No, that's probably every random person that picks up the game, plays it two days, and never plays it again because it's too hard.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Turns2Ashes said:
No, that's probably every random person that picks up the game, plays it two days, and never plays it again because it's too hard.
I know people that have played the game for 2 seconds that are better than that. I mean, look at HEdge. He hasn't played any game for two frikkin years, he only touched the 2k4 Demo... He doesn't die that much!

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Sir_Brizz said:
I know people that have played the game for 2 seconds that are better than that. I mean, look at HEdge. He hasn't played any game for two frikkin years, he only touched the 2k4 Demo... He doesn't die that much!
He will dies when I fraggle rock him with my linkers gunz. :>D

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
fragglelink2wb.gif

BlackLeaf

Sep 26, 2004
Just throwing my 2 cents in here as pretty much a former UT2k4 player....

I know you guys hate WoW, but if you tried it out (and I mean the full game, not the trial) you might see why folks like me left UT2k4 for WoW. Before I start, both games involve a bit of sitting around and waiting, and we know waiting to play a game online is never fun. In UT2k4 you're usually trying to find a server with your favorite game type on it that has more than just the bots playing. In WoW you might be looking for a group to go run a dungeon with, waiting for the group members to meet up, or something else.

I think what differs here is that in WoW, there is so much more to do. Such that if you don't want to go run that dungeon right away, you don't have to. Instead you can go off and do what you want whether it's killing mobs for money, gathering materials to sell or make consumables out of, what have you. All the while you have Guild chat to keep things interesting so it doesn't feel like you're trying to play a single player game online. Couple this with the fact that you're pretty much garunteed(sp) to have other players always online playing on the server you're on, and you have something that's much more appealing than going into UT2k4's server browser hoping that there might be some folks playing your favorite underrated gametype (like CTF).

The second thing that helps WoW out is that it is truly a casual friendly game. You may hear complaints from those who do not have enough time or are not in a guild big enough to visit the high end dungeons, but it is entirely possible. Most of the time these people are just uninterested in the high end content, or unwilling to put forth the little bit of effort required to find a guild that matches their particular play schedule/style. I am in the same guild that I joined when the server I play on in WoW opened up in Feb. of '05. This is a guild full of working adults, and even if it's taken us longer to reach and conquer the high end content, we have begun and continue to do so.

Everyone having an equal chance at content seems to scare most of the "uber pro" FPS players from what I've noticed. But that's exactly the reason why I left UT2k4. It's no fun always being killed by the same people when you know you stand no chance against them (Even at the FragBU), because they're able to practice all day on the game. Not only that, but I've felt a much greater sense of comradrie than I ever felt in any FPS game bar maybe Unreal Fortress for UT 99.

So there you have it. Take my thoughts for whatever they're worth. But seeing so many people wishing death and destruction upon WoW, when it's a very fun game to play, makes me feel like telling my side of the story from the other side of the fence.

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Hey BlackLeaf! Long time, no see. :)

My only wish for WoW is that it wasn't a "pay to play" game. If it weren't for monthly fees, I'd be playing it right along side all my friends who are playing it.

It really does look to be quite enjoyable, though.

BlackLeaf

Sep 26, 2004
Hey Ren! :) Yeah it's been awhile since my last post hasn't it? I lurk in the forums here every now and then though, especially when killing time at work.

As scary as it sounds, I keep forgetting that WoW is a pay to play game. It's likely because I'm on the 6 month subscription though and I only get charged every 6 months instead of per month. Monthly fees in games sure can suck, but like XM/Sirrius Satellite radio, it almost looks like something that many folks are willing to fork up for just to have an enjoyable experience.

If you know someone IRL that plays WoW, get them to let you play it on their account and save some money ;)

DrDoomed

Nov 4, 2003
if i remember correctly most ppl that bought UTk4 dont even play online... theres the problem right there

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
BlackLeaf said:
But seeing so many people wishing death and destruction upon WoW, when it's a very fun game to play, makes me feel like telling my side of the story from the other side of the fence.

I know your comment wasn't really directed at me but since I was casting disparagements on WoW I'll own up to it. I'm not wishing death on WoW or any other game, what do I care what people play.
It's not like I drive past the beach and get all pissed because I think all those people on the beach should be playing UT2k4 CTF because it's so much more fun...
...maybe I should walk along the beach and hand out leaflets inviting people to FragBU.

Anyway, this whole 'why don't people play 2k4' thing has been talked to death. Time to move on dont'cha think?

DDRRE

Flesh is a design flaw.
Feb 13, 2004
Israel
Whew... reading those 4 pages took me a while (including links ;))

I'm so proud ^_^
(sorry for the ot post :))