Are multiplayer games dead?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Defeat said:
>The top "multiplayer" game isn't on that list. AFAIK WoW is the number 1 multiplayer game out there.

WoW is pay to play so it doesn't count.

If you have to pay to play then you're WAY too into gaming and prolly a social retard.

Social retards don't count.

See how that logically works out.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
This is a ranking though stuff that uses a master server and doesn't have their own network, IIRC. Otherwise, I'd bet we'd see a lot fo RTS games like War III, C&C, and Starcraft on there, as well as MMO games. As is, I bet Sony and Blizzard and the likes are reluctant to let 3rd parties like csports have a gander at their servers.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Raffi_B said:
So why hasn't this been done? Aside from the fact that the game isn't newb-friendly, take into account what other people (non-UTers) want to see. They want to see action - mid air rocket kills, high speed movement, aggressive gameplay, and close games. None of this happens in UT2k4 because: 1) Rockets are not nearly as effective because they travel more slowly and are hard to hit small player models in mid-air 2) the movement is actually not that fast and gets very boring to watch 3) the shield gun makes the game far less aggressive 4) close games rarely happen at the higher levels of skill even when the two players are evenly matched. This is because spawn raping and map control is so much easier in UT2k4 that it's easy to get 5-6 frags in a row if you play your cards right.
Quake 3 has none of the problems you mention. :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'd say #4 happens in just about every game, including Quake 3.

Besides, Quake 3 has it's own boat of problems. Certain games people decide to look past them and others not. I don't blame them for not in 2k4 because it makes for a very boring experience watching 1v1's or even TDM.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Alright, 4 happens. It doesn't happen as much as in UT2004, though, since spawning is pretty much random. However, there's only so much you can do about it--it's not like you're going to give people great weapons at spawn. (Well, Quake 3/CPMA does have its Clan Arena gametype, which is like TAM but better.)

Quake 3 has a pretty steep learning curve too, if you want to be anywhere near good (relatively speaking).

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
nuttella said:
That depends on what you mean by gimmicky. I'm talking about maps like Peak, Pressure, Hyperblast, Morpheus, etc., which would be (or are) a joke in UT2004. These maps are still in heavy rotation on the pubs, and they are a lot of fun. I don't know, because I joined the scene late, but it's possible these maps were scorned by the "pro" attitude early on, and that dissipated as people moved on to the new games for competition. But I don't see DM-Inferno or CBP2-Koma ever becoming pub favorites.

By gimmicky I mean Koos Galleon, Floating Pyramid, Fetid Sewers.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Nereid said:
Alright, 4 happens. It doesn't happen as much as in UT2004, though, since spawning is pretty much random. However, there's only so much you can do about it--it's not like you're going to give people great weapons at spawn. (Well, Quake 3/CPMA does have its Clan Arena gametype, which is like TAM but better.)

Quake 3 has a pretty steep learning curve too, if you want to be anywhere near good (relatively speaking).
I would say, as well, that it's probably equally as steep, if not more so, than 2k4 :)

howlatnight

Jan 8, 2006
Nereid said:

In UT2k4 I started out my climb at the middle of the cliff and havent gotten much higher. There was a sudden jump when I first came to FragBU, but I've stopped improving. All I can hope to do at this point, unless a miracale happens, is lear to time more accurately, which I don't really care for (hence I dont want to turn into you completely) and it makes RaffiB mad.. sometimes. :)

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
WoW and MMOs are sucking some life out of the multiplayer competive community. Beyond this fact I can't give any confident statements about the decay of multiplayer shooting games. The scene is dying; I agree about that.

Maybe T2A is right, there are flaws in the gameplay of shooters today making big problems. Maybe it's the elitist attitudes of people who've played their favorite shooters for 8 years and refuse to mingle with new contenders. Maybe it's that so many games are coming out that people interested in shooters are divided in where they go play.

I think it's just that there isn't a next-gen game out yet that has giblets flying from the guy you flakked two inches away from you. I'm looking forward to UT2007.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
There is no way in hell Q3 has as steep a learning curve as UT2004. If your argument is based on what it takes to become pro, well, of course there will be a steep curve to that and any game. Q3 is much easier to pick up (assume the community isn't only left to really good players). Less guns, one fire mode, one main method of moving, fast-spawning weapons/armor, and to top it off, it's faster overall, thus making it more fun. The only real difficult thing in learning to become decent at Q3 is figuring out how to strafe jump around maps.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Turns2Ashes said:
There is no way in hell Q3 has as steep a learning curve as UT2004. If your argument is based on what it takes to become pro, well, of course there will be a steep curve to that and any game. Q3 is much easier to pick up (assume the community isn't only left to really good players). Less guns, one fire mode, one main method of moving, fast-spawning weapons/armor, and to top it off, it's faster overall, thus making it more fun. The only real difficult thing in learning to become decent at Q3 is figuring out how to strafe jump around maps.
Err... wasn't becoming pro at Q3 what we were talking about? You can pick up 2k4 and play it and not learn any of the advanced thngs and still get kills, but afaic it takes just as long to learn how to compete well in either game. Q3's is SIMPLER but no less time consuming in practice.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
hal said:
By gimmicky I mean Koos Galleon, Floating Pyramid, Fetid Sewers.

Hey, Pyramid is fun as well. :) I don't see what's gimmicky about Fetid. It's just bad. Maps weren't bad by virtue of being gimmicky, which seems to be the case now.

howlatnight

Jan 8, 2006
Sir_Brizz said:
Err... wasn't becoming pro at Q3 what we were talking about? You can pick up 2k4 and play it and not learn any of the advanced thngs and still get kills, but afaic it takes just as long to learn how to compete well in either game. Q3's is SIMPLER but no less time consuming in practice.

We'll i would call this "just picking up the game" http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2869810396645020483&q=unreal+tournament

maybe this person should stick to UT GOTY or Q3

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Multiplayer games dead?

Look how many people are online here at BUF (approx. 500 currently), most of whom are looking for the latest E3 news.

Doesn't look dead to me.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Ren, you're completely missing the point, this isn't about multiplayer games this is about:

- Pro's attitudes
- Weapons balance
- Bad maps
- gaming history (prolly the best diversion so far :eek: )
- close/exciting/passion
- spawn rape
- how hard Q3 is
- ping/newnet

c'mon get with the program, or else *mad*

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Hanover_Fist said:
edit: Brizz, change your avatar, I don't like it!

Yeah, that avatar IS grossly overexaggerated!

Han, you need to change your post to include "Brizz's avatar" to the list of things of which this thread is about.