P2P programs legal in Canada

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
To me, it's tantamount to robbery. Sure, the music industry may be greedy and suppress its opposition using unjust means, but for god's sake, that doesn't make taking things from it without permission right. It's like going to the house of the rich, snobby brat on the block and stealing stuff from him- is that an ok thing to do? Not in my opinion.

Weed too has been decriminalized here. Does that mean I should go out and start lighting up the giggle-sticks?

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
seems to be more of a fluke rather than a decisive legal victory. Till some judge or court says enough is enough and finds a clear cut way of saying that ISP's don't have to turn over their records to non-goverment related agency's, or even better that file sharing is legal.... which isn't likely to happen since Canada's probably got a fairly well developed music industry. Not that i can think of any big band or musician that's canadian off the top of my head... but i think that we're more likely to find countries that haven't turned musicinto a "big business" or have any well established tradmark, or copywrite laws on the books to be the ones more likely to support file sharing.

I have no doubt there are countries or cultures that believe that art is made for arts sake or for the benifit of the community as a whole, but the problem is that such communities are unlikely to have and weight in legal matters internationally.

The only real way to put an end to the wrath of the copywrite holders is for someone to either invent or argue that P2P programs are the natural evolution of a public library... either that or somehow the ISP's and RIAA will have to come to some agreement to provide a special "file trading license". In any case there needs to be some kind of "peace treaty" worked out between the 2 parties. Inevitably peace is the only solution to war.. Either through absolute genocide, or a cease fire.... and in a scenario where the to parties both NEED each other.. genocide won't work.

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Sidewinder said:
Weed hasn't been decriminalized in Canada.
Well, it has in BC, anyways.
ecale3 said:
What? That makes no sense. What do i gain out of killing someone who cuts me off? I'd call you an idiot but it'd just be stating the obvious.
Revenge on someone who pissed you off? Or am I to take it you were referring purely to physical things?

ecale3

Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
I was referring to something i can physically steal. Killing someone who angered me is pointless and a waste of energy. There are many people more deserving of death than the idiot who cuts you off on the highwayand my time would be better spent killing them.

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
ecale3 said:
I was referring to something i can physically steal. Killing someone who angered me is pointless and a waste of energy. There are many people more deserving of death than the idiot who cuts you off on the highwayand my time would be better spent killing them.
Alright, new question then: would you steal the few dollars that a bum on the street has while they're sleeping?

unixman

[pthread] The Clan of One
Apr 8, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
www.stridernet.ath.cx
Cold Killer said:
Alright, new question then: would you steal the few dollars that a bum on the street has while they're sleeping?

Trying to compare the trade of information with the theft of physical property is nonsense.

In order for a theft to have occured, something of value must have been lost. If one makes any number of copies of information from someone, that person has lost nothing.

Trying to appeal to emotion is not a ligitimate argument.

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
unixman said:
Trying to compare the trade of information with the theft of physical property is nonsense.
Where's the trade in taking a copy of information without the creator's permission?
unixman said:
In order for a theft to have occured, something of value must have been lost. If one makes any number of copies of information from someone, that person has lost nothing.
Except the money that they should have received for each copy!
unixman said:
Trying to appeal to emotion is not a ligitimate argument.
That is not what I was doing. I was trying to show that his statement
ecale3 said:
if i could get something otherwise unobtainable without any adverse consequences then you better believe i will.
was not well thought-out, as in fact there are several things that he could not otherwise have obtained that he would still not try to take.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Downloading music of the internet in Canada is as legal as copying a CD borowed from a friend here. The law is very strange about this as this exemple shows...

you can legally borow a CD from a friend and make as many copies as you like for you personnal use... but if he makes a copy of the sames CD and gives you the copy, that's illegal. The same technical issue arrieses with downloading and p2p... you can download a track from someones computer, but he can't uplaod it on yours. weird if you wan't my opinions...

But what we must NOT forget is that the downside to this law in Canada is that we pay fees to the music industries on every medium we buy (dvd-r and cd-r). Soon we'll pay some fees from every GB of HD we buy too. I can't remember the number exactly, but it's considerable on the price of a CD-R. The part on HDs is yet to be accepted though.

EDIT: just to do a brief round up of what I said... In Canada, it's not illegal to do what they often call "piracy" in the US because a law as been adopted making it legal, but forcing us to pay for it using other methods.

EDIT2:

Weed hasn't been decriminalized in Canada.

No yet :D

Last edited:

unixman

[pthread] The Clan of One
Apr 8, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
www.stridernet.ath.cx
Once you've published information, can you really claim that you still own it? You can't force the information out from my own mind once I've seen it. Copyright law makes no sense. Your idea is no longer yours once you've shared it with someone else.

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
unixman said:
Once you've published information, can you really claim that you still own it? You can't force the information out from my own mind once I've seen it. Copyright law makes no sense. Your idea is no longer yours once you've shared it with someone else.
Copyright law makes perfect sense to me. If you make something original, why should others be allowed to partake in it without giving you anything unless you wish it?