P2P programs legal in Canada

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
Aruging morals is a pointless activity. Niether is capable of convincing the other, because morals are rarely based on anything concrete, but are a combination of up bringing and philosophy/religion. So arguing morals is about as effective as trying to convince the pope to convert and become a muslim.

Everyone who does download music seems to justify for whatever reasons the need to convince themselves. Ohhh i'm poor, It's not hurting anyhow, i only download music from people that i don't like, i'm fighting the system, i'm a communist. All music today sucks, that's why i have to collect 90 gigs of it..blah blah blah. yeah whatever.

While although i've seen just about everyone here jump down on CK for his views *god forbid someone have an opinion* I've yet to see someone commend him for his dedication to his ideals. The real "measure of a man" isn't so much what his morals abut if he can keep to them.

besides... I've yet to see anyone here *prove* in or out of a court of law that downloading music is legal. Even in this case all that's really happend is a judge (that unfortunatly seems completly behind the times.. god hoping he doesn't refer to automobiles as "horseless carrages") has said that their was a lack of evidence (probably because the prosocution couldn't find a compentent prosocuter on short notice). Lack of evidence is hardly a precident setting case, it's just a delaying tactic.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Cold Killer said:
Does ebay ship to Canada? Do I qualify for a student discount on Apple's products?
"eBay" doesn't ship anything anywhere. It's up to the sellers to decide where they ship things. The seller in the link above ships worldwide, whereas I only ship to American addresses when I sell things.

edit:
All music today sucks, that's why i have to collect 90 gigs of it

Hear! Hear! :clap:

Last edited:

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
unixman said:
This really begs the issue of what this issue is really about. When the penalty for violating copyright law is harsher than armed robbery, you can only wonder who is writing the laws: our elected representatives or corporations.

If i'm not mistaken the laws were made in the 80's to help combat organized crime and devious shop owners which used to make a large living off selling unauthorised merchandise, most noteably 2nd 3rd 4th, ect ect generation duplicate VHS tapes. Since the crime at the time was aimed at illegal buisness and crime rings where the profits were moderatly large (buy blank tapes for 5 bucks sell them with copied movie for retail @ 20 = profit of 15 dollars per tape. Sell 100-200 per week, and your raking in 12K per month... so the fines and jail time were set at the higher levels to help combat the lucrative prospects.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
we should do a round up of all these copyright/pirating/crap thread. That would make an awesome exposition in a natural science museum...

Edit: it's funny CK, the way you talk, there's one law, one country, one government in the whole world. Maybe that's not what you mean, but you sound like it a lot.

Last edited:

Ice

Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
What happens when your morals go against the laws? Do you have a seizure? What about if they change the laws? You just switched opinions! Oh no!

You're an elitest bastard. I don't think myself higher than you, I believe myself to be more correct. You know more than I do in certain areas, I'm sure, be them mundane or not, I do not care. All I know is that your bull**** quote of
I don't consider my ideals to be very at all. I just consider yours to be down in the dirt.
to be so self centered, egotistical, and elitest as to be scary; if you're any indication of the "world of tomorrow," I wish to be no part of it.

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
You don't enjoy the thought of a world full of people who are able to get along fine in life while simultaneously obeying every letter of the law?

Sounds like bliss to me.

Ice

Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
Sounds like a pipe dream. It will never happen as long as there are two human beings on this planet.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Cold Killer said:
You don't enjoy the thought of a world full of people who are able to get along fine in life while simultaneously obeying every letter of the law?

Sounds like bliss to me.
Hey, you might want to consider who would be making those laws.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Cold Killer said:

Sounds like bliss to me.

which law? who's law? made buy whom? when? under the pressure of who or what?

You are telling us that we all should live under the american copyright law... is that it? Why don't you all live under the Canadian law? Your's isn't better then ours the last time I checked... I even find ours more logic and much more modern (but that just my opinion, we don't have to agrue about that really... my mind i quite clear on the matter).

About that law obeing argument... i'll bet you a milkshake that there are a lot of laws in your state and country that you don't obeying to every letter of them. Please cut us lose with this nonsense. You are ruining the little credibility you still have.

EDIT: ok I don't get it... that what happens when I read only half a thead... CK are you canadian? That's what i understand, but I thought at first you where american (hence what i say earlier in this post). But if you are indeed canadian, you're even more stupid then I thought. Your argumentation could at least have made some sense if you where under the american (or some other country's treating copyright the same way) law...

At least you could try to come up with some intelligent arguments other then "morallity" issues what can, obviously, be discussed for the next 1000 years without any conclusions.

Last edited:

Bhruic

May 26, 2002
Visit site
Cold Killer said:
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that P2P programs had been declared legal all across the United States as well. I've been addressing others as though they were citizens of the United States, unaware that it's now legal there also. If it's not, of course, then it would still be illegal.

Thanks to you, I changed my naming of the crime to "copyright infringement"- didn't you see? I consider anything against the law to be "wrong".

Nice attempt. But you are living in Canada. That subjects you to Canadian law. Since Canadian law states that it is not illegal, your objections to it boil down to your own personal beliefs. Trying to bring in the laws of another country and apply them to yourself are nothing but a rationalization for your beliefs, and serves no logical function - especially as you've already made a point of proclaiming in the thread that "you are not American".

And yes, I saw you make the change. The point is, it's not against the law for you. Therefore, you cannot make any valid objections to it based on the law. As I stated, it leaves you with nothing to support your position besides your own opinion - which is not supported.

ps - BTW, you can do us all a favour. Since you seem to want to bind yourself to laws of other countries, and since you seem to think that anything against a law is "wrong", and you don't want to do anything "wrong"... It's against the law in some countries to express one's opinion on the internet. So please stop. You wouldn't want to do something "wrong".

Bh

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
Amazing the inferences you people can get from my simple statement of how I enjoy the thought of peace among people with utter compliance of the law.

That statement is no different to how Stalin felt about the situation.

Its when the law becomes unjust that the problem arises. Like criminalising something as trivial as copying some music to protect corporate interests. I dont think youve really thought very hard about this.

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Bhruic said:
Nice attempt. But you are living in Canada. That subjects you to Canadian law. Since Canadian law states that it is not illegal, your objections to it boil down to your own personal beliefs. Trying to bring in the laws of another country and apply them to yourself are nothing but a rationalization for your beliefs, and serves no logical function - especially as you've already made a point of proclaiming in the thread that "you are not American".

And yes, I saw you make the change. The point is, it's not against the law for you. Therefore, you cannot make any valid objections to it based on the law. As I stated, it leaves you with nothing to support your position besides your own opinion - which is not supported.

ps - BTW, you can do us all a favour. Since you seem to want to bind yourself to laws of other countries, and since you seem to think that anything against a law is "wrong", and you don't want to do anything "wrong"... It's against the law in some countries to express one's opinion on the internet. So please stop. You wouldn't want to do something "wrong".

Bh
I SUPPORT US LAWS.

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
ecale3 said:
If you universally support US laws you are stupider than i thought. I'm from the US and i find some of our laws to be disgustingly restrictive.
Nice nonexistent word usage. So I'm more stupid because I have an opinion that differs from yours? That's the only thing you say to back up your statement, in case you hadn't noticed.

ecale3

Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
no, i think you are an idiot because you support laws you do not live under. Seeing as you can't really have any idea what its like to be ruled by those laws you are in no position to say they are better. Not to mention if you READ some of the newer laws then you would realize that they set a dangerous precedent. So either get a fucking clue or shut the fuck up.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
As a Canadian I wish to apologize for the whole Celine Dion thing. No one thought to ask me if it was a good idea.

The music industry lost that round simply because they screwed up. They thought they could just walk in and do what that the music industry did south of the border. Not being able to use their first choice in a law firm did not help. Also it only means that ISPs do not have to hand over the names connected to certain IPs.

They will be back and better organized.

At the moment what the music industry is doing is stupid and has yet to solve a single problem they have.

Last edited: