Zones

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
Ok, I am working on a map currently... and it features several buildings with detailed interiors.. now how do I 'zone' these buildings to increase FPS?

masamax

Spoon
Apr 10, 2001
Edmonton, Canada
www.rifts.cjb.net
Make a special brush (sheet ussually) and make it a zone portal. You can just select it from the special brush default list.

Once this has been done, Make sheets covering all the doors and entrance (windows, any anything else that is a hole in the building) ways on your map. I make my sheets just a little larger then the doorway ussually.

Next, add a zone info. This is under like info or some crap. I forgey the details. If I was in UED I would remember. To add a location thing in TDM, there is a little box for location under zone info.

Basically, it's like adding water, but instead of a water zone, it's just a regular zone info thing.

You can play around with the settings, like a default zone lit and stuff.

Also, for the most part, if your map has an outside, it's ussually best to just leave it as one zone.

Spooge

Digital Content Creator
Jul 9, 2000
TN -USA
www.planetunreal.com
Just a note... you don't have to add a zoneinfo in every zone if they are mostly all going to have the same properties. Just set any anformation in the Level Properties. Otherwise you are just wasting time putting ZonInfo's in every Zone for nothing. If you don't add them it automaticaly makes every zone you add with the settings in the Level Properties, got it?

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
i haven't been mapping for long, and the map i've been working on for the last few weeks is probably going in the scrap pile coz i'm not very happy with the layout, but it's definitely nice to have locationID's, especially in a team-oriented game like inf... of course, if the entire map is an outdoor one then it gets a little less feasible... being able to label each building is nice, though, so all you need to do to relay your location is hit the "acknowledge" voicebind (or something similar)...

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
*bangs head on desk*

Maybe I am too tired to understand all of that... but is there a tutorial somewhere? :eek:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
there should be tons of tutorials on this subject, just search on the planetunreal ued site

masamax explanations is pretty good, though

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
location ID's for outdoor spots

You don't actually need zoned-off areas to ID their locations. There's a "locationid" actor in the keypoint actors list that labels an area w/in a given radius (set among the locationid properties). Very useful little feature that lets you label locations on a map w/o having to zone them off. I definitely use them (see Atoll & Azteca Lite). I find during gameplay it's useful to look up where your team mates are (info is displayed on the scoreboard) when wondering whether your flank is being covered, or if the head you see popping up in that sniper nest over there is a friend or foe... Of course, for indoor areas zoning is a more precise way of labelling locations. The locationid actor is ideal for outdoor areas I would say.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
damn, A9, i was just thinking about posting something wondering if anyone could code a little actor to do just that! :D i always thought the only way to give a locationID was to zone the area off... :con: thanks, A9!
j00 m4h h33ro! :D