ZenPirate's Official Guide to Safer Browsing v0.6

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
tool said:
I want to use thunderbird to check my gmail account, does anyone know the pop infomation for gmail? I need the incoming and outgoing server address.

As of yet this hasn't been figured out AFAIK. But the utilities at this site can help you ourt a bit:

http://gnotify.com/

gPopper is a FREE Gmail utility which acts as pop3 Gmail server allowing you to use programs such as Outlook and Outlook Express to send and receive Gmail.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
You can automatically forward your new Gmail messages to another email account. Here's how:

1. Click 'Settings' at the top of any Gmail page.
2. Click 'Forwarding' along the top of the orange 'Mail Settings' box.
3. Enter the email address to which you would like your messages forwarded.
4. Select the action you would like your messages to take within Gmail from the drop-down menu.
5. Click 'Save Changes.'

You can also choose which new messages will be automatically forwarded to another account by creating a filter.

SealClubber

Not biased
Oct 30, 2002
Planet Earth
5) Use Common Sense

If you don't trust something, don't do it. Simple as that. :tup:

I haved used this great tool for 23 years running with all parts of my life. Well... Most parts of my life at least.. :p

Destro7000

Beware the Apartment Emus
Aug 12, 2002
Bristol, UK
www.gamersa.barrysworld.net
After I installed Firefox 1.0...every time I go on deviantart.com (which I use a lot lately) the site functions fine, apart from the fact firefox is screaming "ALERT: This document contains no data" in a window every 5 seconds even though, clearly each webpage is fine.

Can anyone say how exactly you stop this annoyance?

qazix

Lost
Mar 31, 2001
Destro7000 said:
Can anyone say how exactly you stop this annoyance?
I might be able to if I could reproduce the problem. However, I don't encounter any such problem with Firefox 1.0 (Debian Linux build) here...

Possible causes:
  • Buggy extension(s) (do you have any installed? Which?)
  • Modified setting(s) in prefs.js (open about:config and filter by network)
  • Strange network problem (HTTP connection terminating unexpectedly)
  • Improper Firefox upgrade (did you uninstall the old version first?)

If all else fails, you could start a thread in MozillaZine's Firefox Bugs forum. Good luck.

Last edited:

Symbolikal

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Jul 30, 2004
In britain in a small town.
I heard about that one after my uncle went through some of the firefox source. That would probably be a tough cookie to fix. I don't have anything to hide as I've configured firefox to not do history but to keep cookies of certain sites (like here and UP and NC) but not stuff like eBay or Amazon.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Hm, in FireFox 1.0, I got warned about it being mixed Secure and Insecure; I got this dialogue:

mixedsec.jpg

But, the default is to warn you only the first time this happens. If you don't tell it to give you that kind of warning in the future right there, it won't ever, and there doesn't seem to be any place in the Options to turn it on. However, if you type about:config in the address bar and set security.warn_viewing_mixed to true (double-click on it to toggle it), it will give you the opportunity to get that warning again in the future. (It's also a good idea to set security.warn_viewing_mixed.show_once to false so you get warned every time this happens).

Interestingly, I refreshed the Yahoo secure login page a few times, and I found that it's not a secure/insecure mix every time; it only seems to happen about half the time.

Mas

Paul Aka Mas
Dec 9, 2003
For some reason my AVG free edition has had trouble updating its the latest version (7.0) . I have given it program and server access in Zone Alarm, yet it still doesnt update, just says it cannot establish a connection to the internet.

Any Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
*bump*

Thanks for the thread Zen. I just built a new PC, and now I'm running...

A router/firewall
Firefox
AVG Antivirus
Ad-aware SE Personal
Spybot S&D

Thanks for putting all the info in a "one stop shop." :tup:

Jesus

The _Real_ Jesus
Jan 16, 2004
Stalking
Chat Programs: Trillian, mIRC
Web Browsers: Crazy Browser, now Firefox
Anti-Spyware stuffs: Ad-Aware Personal 6, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster
Anti-Virus: Norton 2003, AVG
Firewall: ZoneAlarm (me likes), Sygate Personal Firewall
E-mail: Gmail, with notifier.

G-Lite

ftw
Jul 25, 2000
g-lite.kochen.nl
tool said:
I want to use thunderbird to check my gmail account, does anyone know the pop infomation for gmail? I need the incoming and outgoing server address.

GMail also supports POP, you can enable it in the same place as forwarding: Settings -> Forwarding and POP

This is all in the help somewhere actually:
Server address: pop.gmail.com
Username: youraddress@gmail.com
Also, make sure your client uses SSL to connect (secure connection), gmail requires it!

As for the software I use... well, heh:
Browser: Epiphany
Mail client: Evolution
Chat: X-Chat and Gaim
FTP, SFTP, any kind of remote directory browsing: Nautilus
:p