1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Your favorite gametype?

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by Derelan, Sep 28, 2004.

?

Whats your favorite gametype for INF?

1. Enhanced Assault (EAS)

19 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. Team deathmatch (TDM)

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Dynamic take-and-secure (DTAS)

26 vote(s)
    48.1%
  4. Domination

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Capture the flag

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. Zombies/Monsters

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Nukeproof

Nukeproof n1

I hate to sound noobish, but how does fortitude exactly work? Never heard of it....

2. (SDS)benmcl

(SDS)benmcl Why not visit us here in the real world.

Actually you are not noobish because Fort wasn't widely played and back in the days of 2.86 was mostly played by RA players when the could get the admin to put it on.

First of all I would like to say Fort was in a state of flux, changes were made, planned and such so what I describe here may not be exactly what others remembered.

A series of control points, marked by flags are placed in the map. There are some variables to decide how many but I believe it was mostly based on map size and number of players. The idea was to capture the control points much like you do TAS until you have them all. You respawn at a control point that your team has, in waves simular to EAS I believe, so as your team gains or loses control points your options increase or decrease until finally you can't.

When I last played it was non-linear so major chaos can occur. Also the matches can take a long time to finish such as an hour in Trenches.

3. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

It's kind of similar to Onslaught in UT2004, but using DTAS flags instead of power nodes.

4. (SDS)benmcl

Crowze how come you always take my long tangled almost incoherent statments and write a short, clear and consise ones that everyone understands? ;)

5. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

But wouldn't it only focus on half the game, just the attacking tactics? What about those who are good at finding a good spot to defend from?

6. (SDS)benmcl

Defense is also required or you will loose what you gain. I usually end up play defense.

7. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Also in fort, the number of people needed to cap a new place varied based on how many were on your team.

8. Taque

Taque Custom User Title

It was basically a really convoluted DTAS with spawning. :p It also forced teamwork and efficient attack/defense division as if you concentrated too much on one, you couldn't win. I enjoyed it, really, but I doubt people will have the patience to play it...

I'd love to be proven wrong. :D

9. {GD}Odie3

{GD}Odie3 You Give Odie a Boner

Well, this is why the GD server has a higher spawn time and we use NewWave (to stop insta spawn). While it is not perfect is about all one can do. As you have stated EAS is no fun at all without respawns.

I Myself, would like it higher spawn time, less spawns, and higher map times. However, this does not seem to go well with the players that do like EAS. :rolleyes:

10. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

Not that I disagree with the fact, but I don't understand why I find DTAS more fun without respawns, and EAS more fun with them.

11. Pwn3R

Pwn3R New Member

The only thing that rox is TDM!
    Look at the servers it´s all clear to see....

12. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

What's popular != what's good. Otherwise we'd all be playing CS.

13. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

Then what makes something popular? Surely people don't want to play CS because they enjoy wasting their time.

14. Rostam

Rostam PSN: Rostam_

Quality is not popular, Derelan. Simplicity is.

15. dive

dive Infiltration:: Like crack, but better

Enjoyment is popular, atleast in the entertainment business. A lot of people find CS fun, so they play. Frankly, I think it's dull. I find INF fun, due to the added complexity. Some don't.

CS, in its own respect, is "good" in the sense that they created a game that can be, and is, enjoyed by many. They have done a "good" job in appealing to wide audience. The game, however distasteful this community may find it, is [for all its purposes] done well. It is a "good" game, by those standards.
    Do I enjoy playing? No. Do I ever play? No. Will I start to play? No. But thousands of people do, and they love it. Simple as it may be, sometimes that's what people desire from their entertainment. Look at television.

That being said... I'd love to try a Fort game. I never got to play, but it sure does sound like a lot of fun to me. I really enjoy take-and-advance style gameplay (Battlefield, Onslaught, etc)

16. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

?!

Are you saying that people prefer a simple game over a game with quality?

17. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Loose Cannon

Well derelan the average person couldn't be bothered to RTFM or anything like that, they just want to start playing a game quickly and have fun. So, in that respect, a game with less fun but more simplicity will appeal to them, because complex games with more fun require a bit of time invested before you start having fun (and stop saying "what the hell is going on?";))

However, patient people will prefer to invest some time in a more complex game and have more fun in the long run, as well as enjoying that their time invested was worthwhile. This all assumes, of course, that "fun" is an objective thing....

18. Rostam

Rostam PSN: Rostam_

A simple game with quality usually ends up on top of everything else, then it's the simple games, then it's the 'rest'.
    I am not saying simple games like pinball. I mean simple games like UT, with an easy objective and plenty of room to do it.
    Now UT is a great example because it is both quality and simple, IMO.

19. Vega-don

Vega-don arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée

i prefer DTAS

i suggest we try to jump alone in a DTAS Server instead of joining the TDM populated server

but i enjoy tdm to;)

20. {GD}Ghost

{GD}Ghost Counter Terrorist Operative

I think someone should rework and polish up Fortitude for 2.9 as needed. That game type sounds like tons of fun.