1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Your favorite gametype?

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by Derelan, Sep 28, 2004.

?

Whats your favorite gametype for INF?

1. Enhanced Assault (EAS)

19 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. Team deathmatch (TDM)

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Dynamic take-and-secure (DTAS)

26 vote(s)
    48.1%
  4. Domination

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Capture the flag

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. Zombies/Monsters

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. dive

dive Infiltration:: Like crack, but better

DTAS, EAS, TDM.

DTAS over EAS, because i'm a little noob and EAS if highly unforgiving if you don't know the map. DTAS is a little better about that, in my opinion.

TDM is fun, because I can get online and rack up kills despite the fact that I'm a little noob. So in the evenings, I usually play a few maps of TDM to get my ego up, and then go get slaughtered in EAS. [since no one plays DTAS, aparently]

2. {GD}Ghost

{GD}Ghost Counter Terrorist Operative

My problem with a majority of EAS maps is that in many cases, the maps are beautiful and well laid out, but you have only 1 or 2 objectives. This is a serious waste of mapping as in these cases, only a few routes are ever used and many potentially great map features are not used. It makes me sick to see large, beautifully done maps with a single cap the cd objective. So much can be done with the EAS game type.

DTAS allows the teams to use more of the map and this is good, but its still a single objective situation that does get old.

3. (SDS)benmcl

(SDS)benmcl Why not visit us here in the real world.

So where the hell do we sign the petition for Fortitude. Come on some of the best fun I had was 2.86_Fortitude and my friends. Yes there were problems with some maps, ie flags spawning outside the map, and the nightmare that was Bunkers.

4. Taque

Taque Custom User Title

Damn, if you guys get fort, I'll give up my audition here to play it.

Mmm, no, but it would be wicked. :D Hey, what was wrong with Bunkers (the old version, for you n00bs :p)? It was robar heaven!!

5. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

I prefer a smaller amount of objectives over "Secure assault area, get into chopper, rapell down from chopper, open security door, enter passcode, open security vault, secure CD, return with cd". Especially when all we get is a 10 second breifing with jarbled english.

Something like the thing that UT2k4 does for Assault would be neat, like flashing a bunch of pictures that a photo scout took.

6. (SDS)benmcl

Actually for me Bunkers was fun until after about 45 minutes to an hour people started to complain and demained a map switch instead of try to get that damn poistion in the middle.

Edit: Also I think what Ghost is hinting at is maybe not a ton of objectives for a map but something closer to Mostar. There is a vry good reason that Mostar is liked by so many.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  7. Cleeus[JgKdo]

Cleeus[JgKdo] because respawns suck

lets examine fortitude:
    we first have to state that respawns suck
    now we have to take into account that fortitude has infinite respawns
    so, as a conclusion we can say that fortitude sucks inifintly

SCNR ;)

fortitude had the same problem like EAS: total chaos

8. {GD}Ghost

{GD}Ghost Counter Terrorist Operative

At the risk of going slightly off topic, UT2k4's Conquest game type is very fun and would be very interesting if given a realistic spin.

9. (SDS)benmcl

Yes there were problems and I don' expect it to be brought back as it stood the last time I played. Also respawns are not bad in them selves, it depends on the game mode. In DTAS, yes. EAS depends on your point of view. Fort fun as hell.

I am not suggesting a dedicated FORT server be setup but once a week or so. Also yes there was chaos but once in awhile even chaos can be fun.

10. Cleeus[JgKdo]

I have to disagree. Respawns are unrealistic because after your mysterious rebirth you still know all the things you have seen before your previous death which is highly unrealistic and forces the players to constantly change their positions for a reason that isn't neccessarily there IRL.

11. (SDS)benmcl

True but that happens anyways even if you don't respawn. TS and such programs have now well removed that argument simply because even if I have only one life and I die you can pretty bet no matter how much effort an admin or coder does where I died and where the bad guy is is now known to my team. So that argument is pretty well gone. So on to the next one is the unrealistic rebirth of yourself which has been pointed out in other threads that you are not reborn but your team has reinforcements.

So now we are left with the fun factor. As I said before with DTAS it doesn't work, EAS is debatable, Fort is fun. It depends on the game type. Fort simply does not work without respawns and it is fun.

12. gal-z

gal-z New Member

I never really got a chance to try fort. Really need to try it.

13. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

Yeah, and the fact our maps are claustrophobic cubes couldn't possibly have anything to do with that, now could it? ;)

14. Turin_Turambar

Turin_Turambar Pls don´t shoot to the Asha´man

i wanna try Fortitude. I demand 2.9 version!! :D

In the days of 2.86 i didn´t play online...

15. keihaswarrior

keihaswarrior New Member

Cleeus, why not play EAS with no respawns? I think it would be similar to TAS (notice I left out the "D")

Just make sure to use shorter round times than a usual EAS match.

16. Cleeus[JgKdo]

The EAS missions are too complex to be played without respawns.
    If the current maps are played without respawns there are 2 possible outcomes:
    a) The defenders get eliminated even before only one objective is fullfilled. The rest of the mission is just walking to the objectives and fullfilling them
    b) The attackers got eliminated too early which means the game wasn't much more then TDM.

Complex missions either need multiple rounds or respawns, or more then 100 players on one server ;)

17. keihaswarrior

keihaswarrior New Member

I'd like to point out that A and B happen in DTAS too, only you don't have to walk through the objectives if you kill the defenders. Maybe a mutator could be made to allow the attackers to auto-win if all defenders are dead.

Also, a lot of the EAS maps are very simple cap the cd affairs. Just play those when using 1 life :)

18. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

Actually, i think the attackers DO auto-win when all the defenders are dead. They just usually have reinforcements in a few minutes.

19. Rostam

Rostam PSN: Rostam_

Yurch has it right, maps. In a map like bunkers, or even better trenches fortitude would be awesome, as the winning side would need to more than simply killing a few enemies. They would have to win ground.

20. ninjin

ninjin The Franco-Japanese Carrot

i'd definately would like to see a revivial of the good old fortitude game type.

but i'd rank EAS first, followed by DTAS