YAN Weapon Idea: SA80

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shrap

Beaver
Oct 29, 2000
The L85A2 Airsoft rifle is made by Academy and is a POS.

I won't add further comment on how do I know everything about real steel with my airsoft experience. :D

Seriously, Danielout, airsofters really have a bad reputation among real soldiers. Don't tell you're an airsofter or if you do, never compare your 'experience'. It's almost an insult to them and I understand it.

Ps: Tiffy I'm not talking of you specifically, I went to a couple of boards and saw some fellow airsofters getting flamed to hell for stuff like that.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
'Whip that sucker around' .... christ what do you thing your using a bloody garden hose.
LOL, that reminds me of the manual description of the thunderbolt from Quake.
"Try it, you'll like it. Use the same technique as watering your rose bush."

BTW, I beleive the airsoft L85 is a custom job. You have to order a seperate AEG, plus the L85 kit, then assemble it yourself or pay someone to do it. Not worth the time and money, IMO. I also hear it's not a very accurate replica, even compaired to other airsoft guns.

danielout

Oct 25, 2003
Hey, atleast I scored high marks in one area. Of course, I could only go on what experience I did have. Which is why there was a disclaimer at the bottom of my post. I can only go the the experience I have, which i openly admit and warn is very limited. However, I do not have the luxury (oh, but if I only did...) to go around playing with Class III firearms at my leasure so I may participate more actively in forum discussions.
I'm just trying to offer my opinion. I'm more than happy to be corrected, but just on the off chance I may stumble upon something correct or useful.... i present my opinions. (If you don't like it, find a different internet. ;D )

I do know airsoft is limited. It's all I've got, and I'm using it to the best I can to learn. (Hence owning the G36C, which weighs the exact same with it's battery in that the real steel does w/unloaded magazine.... pretty damn close for a replica! Though, the balance point is different)

So, I'm going to continue making statements (bold is kinda an opinion... i didn't see myself as such) on my limited experience b/c if nothing else someone will come along and correct me and I'll learn from that.

Secondly, the "whip that sucker around" was more refereing to how easy point-and-shoot they are, because of their intended use. (Which, mind you, I did know about) However, like you said... doorways and the like they are very useful. Small, held very close. Yes, you have to move your whole body with it, of course. How else would you aim? =P Moreso for a person of my smaller stature, they're design is very handle and facilitates easy of use. They're not unweildy. That's what I was trying to get across, not that I just toss the sucker about one-handed while holding the trigger. And of course use short, controlled bursts. 2-5 rounds per burst for me in airsoft due to accuracy descrpencies. Otherwise you end up with no ammo and in a bad position. I may not be a real soldier, but I'm not a total moron.

Hollywood does a terrible injustice to gunfights. I would love to see a tactically-correct SWAT or CounterTerror movie (that also had a good plot, which is a lot to ask in itself)

And as far as I know on the airsoft rifle (been out of the loop a few months recently due to computer mishaps) it is just a conversion kit - not an actual rifle. What i should of said is "I'm waiting for Tokyo Marui to release a L85 rifle". Pardon the unclear wording.

And if real soldiers don't like me because I play airsoft, I could care less. I have a vast amount of respect for those that do and what all they sacrifice. But, I enjoy the hobby. And seeing as Computer Foreinsics Certification doesn't lead me to the military path, it's probably the closest I'll ever get to anything remotely like a classIII. Like I said before, all I can do is offer my opinion based on the limited experience and education I've recieved so far.

So please, do cut me some slack. I really respect Tiffy for all the knowledge his posts offer. And heck, without people like him then people like me would still be ignorant. Just keep in mind ignorant and stupid are two completely different terms.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Danielout, sorry that came across hard but you wouldn't beleive the number of times people come onto these forums saying teh same stuff. The "I do not have the luxury (oh, but if I only did...) to go around playing with Class III firearms at my leasure" as you say was gained over the course of 20 years (we'll 19 and some days actually) hard graft in the British Army. As I said you score for enthusiasm and in fairness you haven't come on with the usual "I want the M134 'cause it's an uber gun and would kick arse and I've seen it in a flim so I know its real".

Pop quiz folks: Whats an M134 and whats the film. !st correct post doesn't get 'flamed' by me for there next incorrect assertion ;)

The reason real life soldiers tend to 'dislike' (thats a bit of a strong word but you get the idea) Airsofters and paintbaler is your playing. When you get shot you get up afterwards, go back to your start position and have another go. You tend to develop unrealsitic tactics based on the fact your not going to die if it goes 'tits-up' and then come onto forums like this and pass these off as serious way the Armies of the world do things, IYO.

Still your better than the ones who play computer games and try to pass off 'Bunnie-hopping' and 'run-n-gun' as serious real world military tactics.

Stick around and learn, I'll try to be more easy going next time.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
Tiffy said:
Pop quiz folks: Whats an M134 and whats the film. !st correct post doesn't get 'flamed' by me for there next incorrect assertion ;)

M134 is the U.S. Army's designation for the Minigun, the six-barrel 7.62x51mm member of General Electric's series of electrically operated Gatling guns (USAF designation for the same weapon is GAU-2). The Minigun is used as a hand-held weapon in both Predator and Terminator II.

Last edited:

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Prize goes to Crowze, bad luck SaraP you missed it by only 57 minutes (don't you sleep, its really early o'clock if my calcs are right when you posted that answer).

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Has anyone seen GE's minigun T-shirts from vietnam? They have a picture of the minigun and the slogan "General Electric: We make great thing come to life!". Those are awesome.

danielout

Oct 25, 2003
Had already read it, sharp. Right after my post. =D

And with the guys I play with, we generally take things slow. We do it INF-style, no re-inforcements. (Or a only two or three, if we get a small number of players that day) This generates much more artificial fear-of-death because if you get shot you could be waiting 45 minutes to an hour before you get to see any kind of action again. (I once sat around for two and a half hours after getting sniped at the start of a game. Glad i brought a book. ;D )

But playing at public fields, I guess I could see where people would gain that view. I don't like public fields near as much for that very reason. People are careless and use old russian style tactics ("Okay, here is the gun. You two share. When he dies, you take over.")

Thanks for the help, again. I always look for new sources of mil info, and this forum has turned out to be an excellent one!

I guess this thread has kinda gotten off topic, and this may require a move of section... but I'd like to know what Top 5 weapons military personel would like to see in the game based on their real-world counterparts. (ie:: what 5 weapons would be on your shopping list if you could pick from anything in the world)

danielout

Oct 25, 2003
lemme guess...
"#1 -- 1911, #2 -- 1911, #3 -- 1911, #4 -- 1911, #5 --1911"?

gee, who knew? ;D

kungpaosamuraiii

HOVER TANKS
Mar 31, 2002
Cali
No, 1911 MEU (SOC), 1911 Kimber custom, 1911 Classic, 1911A1, 1911A2.

Question: How would the SUSAT sight look as opposed to a 4.7x ACOG? It couldn't be all THAT different can it? Bringing us to the point that, though it'd be awesome, the L85 could be a redundant FAMAS G2 with the ACOG on it and without Burst. Of course there are other attachments but I'm just curious about the sighting system.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Tiffy posted about the SUSAT on these very forums. Might have gotten lost in crash.

4* zoom, ring shaped illuminated reticule with anti-parallax goodness.

The XM8 looks pretty pointless. Surely it's just like an M4 only plastic-er, german-er and prototype-er?

Is an XM8 more expensive than a G36?

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
I was under the impression that the Predator minigun was the "Microgun", a M134 redesignated M214 (something like that) because it was chambered in 5.56X45mm, and the SF units looked at it briefly then realised how useless an infantry weapon it would be...