YAN Weapon Idea: SA80

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
Well, why not? Its a nice gun, and it looks different to many of the current ones.

It has Semi and Auto.

Etc etc...I don't know much, but I think the option of a SUSAT could be cool.

Also, what about the Oh, whats it called - its like an SA80 with a long barrel., its a machine gun. I don't think its a GPMG, but its an SA80-Machine gun. Yes it is real, and yes it would be a nice un-american alternative to the M249 or whatever.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
I get the feeling we're going to get a lot of these suggestions since the brits started flashing their cool-looking guns on TV in Iraq. I think it would be a nice addition to the current line-up, we need more full-length assault rifles compaired to all the carbines and SMGs in Inf. Unfortunately so far most suggestions for the SA80 have been ignored. As for the SA80 LMG, I don't think the team wants to add any more LMGs any time soon, especially one that's just a variant of another weapon, but who knows.

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
Well, thanks for saying what the M-Gun vers is - the LMG.

I think it would be good to have a non-american alternative to the M249, as the currently considered Alt would probably be an M60 etc.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
The "machinegun" version is called the L86(a2?).

It's not a great machinegun since it's mag fed. It's basically just an L85 with a longer barrel (don't even think it's quick change), bipod and another grip at the back under the stock (somewhere to put your hand when the bipod is down?).

As you can see from the TV footage of Brits in Iraq several units have started phasing in the SAW as a replacement.

L85A2 for Inf 3.0

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
Great Search-Button. :D
Bookmarked :D

About weapon-suggestions:
There are so many weapons to add, ex-soviet weapons, israeli weapon ... but whatfore?
First this is meant to be the last INF:UT version, so you won't see new weapons that fast. I think if they continue their work with UT2K3/4 they want to implement first all the old weapons in their first beta and then add new ones.
Second whatfore new weapons? The more weapons you have the more they kill eachother I think. It is hard to add 4 assault guns but make each unique, each play- and likeable. Now we have three, which you can strongly modify, some people said that in 2.9 the Sig won't be used that often anymore, imagine an additional assault rifel ...
Maybe you could add more weapons, if both teams can't choose the same weapons, but noone wants this and it is better so.
In fact the M249 was designed by FN, and FN is not american ;)

Hey, why don't you add the G36-k, G36-c, G36E (for all non-germans :D ), the MP7, the F2000, the Steyr AUG, the AK74, the NSV, the PM-63 .... the GMG?! ;)
There is always a weapon to add.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
BTW, I don't think it's necessary to bring out the old "weapons suggestions are disregarded" line every time some new guy makes a weapon suggestion. Obviously, most suggestions of all types in this forum are disregarded. Sure, once in a while if something is a hit, the team will comment on it and maybe consider adding a similar feature to the list of things to add when they run out of their own ideas, but in general, this forum is more for the fans to discuss what they would like to see in Inf amongst themselves, not to actually make direct requests to the dev team. And, weapon suggestions aren't completely disregarded. For example, there has been a strong movement among the forumers in support of a battle rifle added to inf. Obviously, we don't got no M14 yet, but the fans were able to gather and realize that they all had a common idea in what they wanted for Inf, and it was a point taken by the team, even if they didn't immediately go out and start adding a G3 to the 2.9 code the next day. Obviously, it's the team's mod and they're going to do what they want with it, but they do take our input into some consideration. Just because they don't pay attention to every AUG and 1911 thread doesn't mean you guys should just tell every guy making a weapon suggestion to STFU. Besides, niewbies are going to continue making weapon suggestions whether you like it or not, so you might as well learn to live with it.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
cleve-ntt said:
Well, why not? Its a nice gun, and it looks different to many of the current ones.

It has Semi and Auto.

Etc etc...I don't know much, but I think the option of a SUSAT could be cool.

Also, what about the Oh, whats it called - its like an SA80 with a long barrel., its a machine gun. I don't think its a GPMG, but its an SA80-Machine gun. Yes it is real, and yes it would be a nice un-american alternative to the M249 or whatever.

Information:

The current British service rifle is the L85A2 IW (Individual weapon ,formally called the SA80). The support weapon version is the L86A2 LSW (Light Support Weapon). This is used to suppliment a sections firepower and is NOT the section machine gun. The section machine gun was the L7A8 GPMG (FN MAG). Recently the FN MINIMI has been deployed in the section LMG role (anyone know its service number?) to replace the GPMG.

A British 8 man section has 6x L85, 1x L86, 1x LMG as well as other assorted crap.

Just think of the LSW like the old BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) as used in the US forces. Its doing the same job and isn't an LMG replacement.

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
Okay then :p

Well what equivalent have we got to the SA80 LSW in the game??

-=j/k=-

And are we gunna add the cadet version? (L96A1) - We have to cock it each time

-=/j/k=-

So is it a yes or a no?

Specter

Infiltrator
Jul 17, 2002
Last edited:

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Thanks Specter, could have found it myself but I'm a lasy old fart. The L115 is the NEW British sniper rifle and its got a bloody good performance mainly due to the round choice. Sweet rifle shame I'll never get a chance to shoot one know :c(

Bloodhawk

Dec 21, 2002
Castlegar, B.C., Canada
Visit site
Hmmm...
Kicking the prettiest dead horse eh? :hmm:

Mabye it's best that this suggestion is left untill we get an official statement fom the team saying they're starting development on the next engine.

when that happens I'll be sure to join in.
I could threaten to hold my breath or something.
Of course,if I did that with 2.9 I'd be long dead :p

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
A lot more accurate but without the 3rd burst feature. We British pride ourselves on being able to understand what short, controlled bursts means without a mechanical devise to help ;)

If you need to have new features to warrent bringing a new weapon into the game we should only have one rifle, one pistol one grenade and one knife as they all shoot/kill people just from different distances.

Variaty is the spice of life and I'd like to see at least one of British service weapon in the game. It's not like we're some backward, 3rd world Army or something...... just used to feel that way is all.

danielout

Oct 25, 2003
Aren't you just a bit biased Sara? =D
Having used an acurate replica, I must say the FAMAS is kinda wack. Mag changes are a bit unweildly, even if you're used to bullpup rifles. (AUG did it right.) The irons are hard to get used to, like in INF. And guess where the fire-selector switch is... no, it's not the little flap in front of the trigger. That's the safety. It's BEHIND THE FRIGGIN MAG. Thus you've got to move a hand to change fire modes. Maybe it'd be no issue if you were used to it, but coming from a G36 fan (MP5-like selector, FYI) it's very hard to adjust.
The FAMAS is a weak bullpup. Yeah, high RoF. Yeah, looks pretty awesome. It's french.
As far as bullpups go, the P90 is a CQB dream. (She's my original airsoft baby, which i stumbled onto because of INF). You can whip that sucker around like it's nothing.
Sadly, there isn't an airsoft L85, therefor I don't have experience handling one. I'm eagerly awaiting the day. They're awfully pretty rifles.

Props to Crowze, that's a neat site. Which makes me wonder... will INF soon replace the M16 with this::
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as61-e.htm

Looks pretty spiffy. I wouldn't complain. Look at all the rail-mount points.. oh god.... =D

[note:: take my opinion and thoughts with a grain of salt. i've never fired a real assualt rifle of any form, only handguns.]

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
God where do I start with this........ you've got to give him 10/10 for enthusiasm but 2/10 for having a clue.

danielout said:
Having used an acurate replica, I must say the FAMAS is kinda wack. Mag changes are a bit unweildly, even if you're used to bullpup rifles. (AUG did it right.) The irons are hard to get used to, like in INF. And guess where the fire-selector switch is... no, it's not the little flap in front of the trigger. That's the safety. It's BEHIND THE FRIGGIN MAG. Thus you've got to move a hand to change fire modes. Maybe it'd be no issue if you were used to it, but coming from a G36 fan (MP5-like selector, FYI) it's very hard to adjust.
The FAMAS is a weak bullpup. Yeah, high RoF. Yeah, looks pretty awesome. It's french.

The change lever on the L85/L86 is also towards the rear of the rifle body. As you usually don't flip from one fire application to another willy-nilly I don't see the problem. The AUG is probably the worst bullpup rifle there is. Its fragile, badly designed and layed out, too light and the sights aren't even next to useless. Its like a toy gun not a service rifle.

Considering the FAMAS (the Bugle as its called in the French Army) was the first bullpup rifle to enter service, it's not that bad a bit of kit. It's had about as many problems and modifications as the L85 and like the L85 wasn't really an excellent rifle until it's second mark/version. Due to the shorter barrel and lighter body it's not as accurate as the L85 (which is a very accurate rifle) but holds its own against other more modern rifles. The iron sights on the rifle are just like several other rifles the incorperate the sights into a handle and are fairly similar to the L85 or M16 sights in operation.

A point here. Airsoft weapons and replicas aren't a good way to get to know a weapon. They invariably have inaccuracies, don't handle or weight the correct amout and generally have different balance point.

Making bold statements based on use of said replicas is asking for trouble from the several actual service personel who frequent these boards. These people have the training and experience of handling the real thing.

As far as bullpups go, the P90 is a CQB dream. (She's my original airsoft baby, which i stumbled onto because of INF). You can whip that sucker around like it's nothing.

'Whip that sucker around' .... christ what do you thing your using a bloody garden hose. The P90 is a PDW(Personal Defense Weapon) type of SMG and as such is desined to be small and easily used by non-skilled second echelon troops. The large magazine capacity is partly due to being able to do it and partly to cut down hte need for magazine changes in people who aren't expected to be as capable with the weapon as an Infanteer is with his personal weapon. The correct (and only safe way) to use a P90 is to control the weapon with both hands, pulling it firmly into your shoulder. The sight are very simple to use and the wepon is fired in either aimed single shot or using SHORT CONTROLLED AIMED burst. If your holding it correctly the only way you can 'whip that sucker around' is to turn your whole body. Thats no different than if you had an M16 in your shoulder. The only advantage is you can do it through smaller doors and closer to the wall without causing embarassment.

In Hollywood they can run into the room spraying like lunitics with whatever SMG the director has desided to use and manage to kill all the bad guys but IRL all that usually gets you and your team is very dead, usually shot by either yourself or one of your gungho team mates.

Sadly, there isn't an airsoft L85, therefor I don't have experience handling one. I'm eagerly awaiting the day. They're awfully pretty rifles.

They do make an Airsoft L85. I was looking at one about 3 months ago after being asked to varify the authenticity of some photo's (they where fakes).

I dispare.................................. :(