xmp --> ut2k4 modular project breakdown

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SubCog

Sep 27, 2003
(I posted this already on beyondunreal) If this project is gonna be done, it should be done modularly. It's too big to just do all at once. It needs to be done in steps, each one released individually, so that work is distributed as it is worked on.

STEP 1.) a basic xmp movement mutator. Forget the classes, the weapons, and the capture the objects. This mutator only focuses on jetpack-double-jumping and the running/speed-jumping. That way, even if nothing else is finished, the community can still enjoy the basic XMP gameplay in the UT2k4 environment. A second release of this should add bot support.

STEP 2.) A 3 class based mod that utilizes the xmp movement mutator. Using existing UT2k4 models, the first release of this mod is really a mutator focuses on speed and armor differences for the classes. The second release (which will take more time) will add in weapon differences. A final release should add bot support for new/tweaked weapons.

STEP 3.) (can be worked on simultaneously to step 2) A basic ctf mod that utilizes 4 artifacts and vehicles. Basic bot support should be simple to add.It's important to start this early so that maps can be created. These maps must utilize vehicles, and map makers must keep in mind adding energy sources/deploy points, turrets, etc. This step could eventually add in energy harvesting, but that may have to wait since energy is tied in with vehicles, player classes, etc.

STEP 4.) (can be worked on simultaneously to step 2 and 3.) A vehicle mutator that makes the ut2k4 vehicles into xmp style vehicles. This should be usable independently of the other steps.

STEP 5.) Unification. The last and longest step. The hardest part of this step will be adding the energy harvesting and making that compatible for vehicles, turrets, and deployable items for the different classes. This would also add in hacking, and TONS of beta-testing and game tweaking. Bot support will start with just basic movement/ctf gameplay, but progressively add features like energy harvesting and deployable item usage.

There are many benifits to following such a modular system. First off is that multiple parties can work simultaneously on different parts, although better communication early on will definitely streamline unification later on. Also, each part that is completed can be distributed independently. That way it's not an "all or none" mod that may never get released. If the project looses steam, there's good content already released. I for one would love to play UT2k4 gametypes with just the xmp movement/jetpack mutator from step 1.

I'm not entirely sure whether this mod should be a perfect remake of xmp or just a "in the spirit of" xmp mod. Personally, I could go either way. I can envision a great gametype that simply included xmp movement/jetpack, vehicular ctf (even using plain UT2k4 vehicles), and 3 classes based on only speed and armor. And that would be much faster/easier to create than an entire xmp mod.

Alrighty then, bring on the flames!!!

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
Hey, I fully support this. If a team gets together to do this, I want in.

But i have to go to work now so I'll comment more later.

-Myr

Dead_Metal

I'm something - But I don't know what.
Feb 13, 2004
And Jesus said we should have no crack pipe punks smokin in our garden. Um .... I think ppl know how I feel about XMP over on Ut2k4......thanks for the kill guys.

-=McBean=-

*=)Bean(=*
Mar 16, 2004
England
www.ia-squad.de.vu
Think we should keep XMP how it is, I played ut2k3 for a couple of months and got put right off it by the lamers, cheats, children that constantly insulted one another whenever you joined a server. I'm quite sure that the ut2k4 community is exactly the same, fall of idiots insulting eachother until everybody leaves the server, taking XMP into that sort of community would be a big mistake...

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
btw myr, was wondering if you'd like a project ^.^ - hush hush u know?

SubCog

Sep 27, 2003
yeah I noticed the master server was down again last night. 'how long you think it'll be before it's down permenently?

I'm tellin' ya, the xmp community is gonna need to migrate to another platform, or it's gonna die a slow painful death.

IAS|Spiff

Jan 22, 2004
SubCog said:
yeah I noticed the master server was down again last night. 'how long you think it'll be before it's down permenently?

I'm tellin' ya, the xmp community is gonna need to migrate to another platform, or it's gonna die a slow painful death.

Just a question, can some1 else host 1 or more master server's. And are Atari willing to give the master server away ???? I can proberly host 1, if Atari let me, and there is many more that can do it....was just wondring....

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
If you could make the game work PERFECT, and be EXACTLY how xmp was.. just on a different platform.. I would play that. Granted, I would not play that until XMP has drawn it's final breath and dissapated into the history of online gaming forever.. but I WOULD play it. I think this is a good idea to set it motion for now, but it shouldn't be released until and only -IF- XMP ever does start going the way of the buffalo.

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
I think that this project should wait. XMP public gamers amount has increased lately with quite big numbers... a couple of days ago I counted 200 playing online at once... not too far away from the playercounts during the 2 first months...

But then, if this project starts up, it will probably no be done to 100% maybe a year later...

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
I agree with iddQd, some of u guys are too quick to say taht XMP is dead....And with ppl like you trying to push on a mod form of it over to 2k4 its no wonder why its not being supported much. neways - cxp all the way baby :}

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
I have to say it is good to do, but it will have to wait till there is no one on for a month, and there is no servers, and that even means myunreal, and if myunreal is not down, i say there should be no mod...

SubCog

Sep 27, 2003
I love xmp the way it is. I really do. But the benifits to porting it to the ut2k4 platform... 1.) We know that UT2k4 will last longer. And if UT2k5 comes out next year, all the big mods will be ported to that too, including XMP. 2.)UT2k4 will open xmp to a larger audience. 3.) Bot support will make xmp better for small lan parties. 4.) Better (faster) server support. I hate playing xmp with 250 ping all the time. 5.) The UT2k4 XMP could near the end of it's developement just about the time people are becoming bored with onslaught. 6.) The UT2k4 XMP could near the end of it's developement just about the time XMP servers die off.

What are the benifits to keeping XMP the way it is? 1.) No support from any developers. 2.) Continuous frustration with the master server. 3.) A small, tight knit community that refuses to foster new growth. 4.) A small, tight knit community that will fade away into obscurity.

SubCog

Sep 27, 2003
planning the funeral before someone dies is what you do when you know their dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.