XMP: Energy, what it's all about.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anathema-

...because we're NOT free
Oct 19, 2003
Energy is the single most important thing in the game that you have to worry about (Yes even more then artifact capping, because if you don't have enough energy you can't cap artifacts). I'm just going to write up a short explaination of energy in XMP so the curve won't be as steep for you guys :)

Energy, how do you get more of it?

Only by holding energy sources will your energy go up. If you have no energy sources your energy will not rise (at least not that I can tell).

What do I use energy for?

Energy is used for everything except redeploying [edit: It is used for redeploying. Thanks Aaron!] and shooting your 2 primary guns, nade launcher, and the shock lance for the Ranger. This includes (but is not limited to): Turrets of all kinds (deployables and placements), vehicle redeploying, artifact capping, and all secondary weapons (nades, placeable turrets, and all restoration packs).

How do I lose energy?

You can lose energy by doing or using most of the things that require energy. Turrets and force walls are the biggest energy soak though, so use them sparingly unless you have the energy to spare .. Turrets and force walls are SUPPORT defense, they are not defense on their own. Even when you spam them a lot. As near as I can tell, vehicles respawning and capping artifacts do not actually use power, even though they require to have a certain energy level to work.

This is too much to keep track of!

Well, LE has actually included a handy meter and voice notifications for all things energy. If you look on the bottom right of your HUD you will see three indicators.

The big hexagonal symbols with the lightning bolt in them are the amount of energy sources on the map, and the color is which team owns them. The -really- big one will only show you a) Your team color and b) A larger icon of what is on the far right.

The meter on the far right (the one with icons next to it) is your overall energy meter. As the meter fills up more, you will see it pass icons, and each of these icons is something new that will be 'unlocked'. A voice will play when something new comes online. The thing to remember is that the artifact node is on top, and as such will go online last and offline first. Keep up that energy!

The third one is your personal energy meter. This will deplete when you use your jump jets, drop a deployable, or hack something. Your personal energy meter also refills from the team energy meter, though compared to everything else that takes power, this is relatively minor.

Just a few points to remember:

Energy is important! Never pass by an enemy controlled energy source without hacking it, if at all possible. You get more points for hacking an energy source then you do for killing someone (no, really you do).

Don't spam turrets/force walls! .. Too many and there won't be any amount of energy sources to refill it all. A side note though is you can pick up other peoples turrets, so if you see someone spamming them (it will be obvious), then pick them up.

The tech hacks faster, so if you're an energy capping nut like I am, tech is the ONLY choice! :D

.. Good luck!

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Nice guide :) . It would be nice to have some tips on using the vehicles properly (and the voice menu). I still haven't figured out to activate the auto turrent on the funky jeep (no idea what it's called).

Anathema-

Oct 19, 2003
I think you mean the Raptor. It's not an auto turret, someone has to jump inside that to shoot it. Same with the other two vehicles (I don't think you see the Harbinger on Garden) .. someone has to be inside the turret to shoot :)

I still haven't figured out the voice menu yet myself :p

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
There's 2 locations in the demo vehicles. One for the driver and one for the gunner.

If you get into a vehicle, have a second person operating the gun. It works well if you drive to a deploy point or generator to hack. The driver gets out and hacks while the gunner protects him.

The one that's not on this map is a vehicle called the Harbinger. That one has slots for a driver, a gunner up top, and also a tail gunner. Driving backwards into a base with the harbinger is fun stuff :)

Anathema-

Oct 19, 2003
Aaron Leiby said:
FYI: Energy is used when you redeploy -- when you spawn in, energy is taken from the team meter to fill your skill bar.

:O really? .. Does that happen ONLY on redeploy or does it always fill up your personal energy bar from the team energy bar?

schwolop

Dec 14, 1999
Visit site
even better strategy is for both people to rock up in a jeep then both leap out and hack. You end up hacking over twice as fast. Generally me and mates take a tech and ranger and just do speed missions all over the joint. If we end up dominating, then we try and get into base. Once near the artifact room (usually filled with campers and turrets) we then hack ALL the doors, place turrets by two doors, then open both together, the turrets take out most of the campers, a few more rockets take out their defenses, and regardless of any humans left, we speed through and grab the artifacts then run back to the vehicle... The enemy now cannot follow us quickly cos we own all the doors, and even if they get out, we've already picked up our turrets again and redeployed them at the garage door. Then its just cruising home baby!

Obviously, this is very idealistic and rarely goes totally to plan, but you can virtually always be guaranteed of winning if you have any plan and double up...

Hope that helped,
Schwolop

Aaron Leiby

Salamander Saver!
Sep 4, 2003
Seattle, WA
www.u2xmp.com
Does that happen ONLY on redeploy or does it always fill up your personal energy bar from the team energy bar?
Yep, teamenergy is used to refill your skill bar. So jumpjetting, placing turrets, hacking, anything that uses skill (the orange bar on the right) will indirectly use up teamenergy.

Qbic

The horrors...
Apr 15, 2001
Norway
Visit site
I was fooling around on the demo map offline and found that while I held all four generators I could only have 4 rocket turrets OR 6 small turrets OR 6 forcewalls (7 poles) without the team energy dropping, and still confortably move around.

Online I'm quite sure I have seen much more spammed around the base without the energy level dropping. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the overall energy available increases with more players on the server.

Perhaps a balance feature to have stronger defense and prevent teams running out of energy on crowded servers?

Edit: Double checked and corrected the numbers.

Last edited:

Anathema-

Oct 19, 2003
Qbic said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the overall energy available increases with more players on the server.

Nope you're absolutely right. More people = more energy.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yeah, that's a great idea! :lol:

I usually go after the generators more than the artifacts, because that's the main focus of XMP. It would be more helpful if the Techs would concentrate on getting/keeping generators while leaving the offense/defense to the other classes.

Maybe by dominating energy, it would help strave the other team who's just using it to spam the artifact room with turrets and force walls. And believe me it's way more unfair than sticking lots of sentry guns in Team Fortress. Any thoughts on the matter?

{Edit}

To be honest, I think that when the time runs out...the team with the most energy score should win. If not, then it seems like either it was pointless or you have to play the map again just to either win or lose.

Last edited:

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
i wish there was an option to choose to spawn a tech with 3 auto cannon torrets insted of 1 of each i dont really like the rocket turrets and from what i have seen they use alot more power then ac turrets

oh well from some rummors im hearing theres a tribes like mod being worked on for xmp that will hopefully do some of these things im wishing for :)

Anathema-

Oct 19, 2003
I couldn't disagree with you more about techs, maddog ;)

Yes, rocket turrets do take more energy then auto turrets, but like with most things in XMP .. a rocket turret by itself or an auto turret by itself has far less potential then one of each. 2 auto's and one rocket turret is a nice little staller, and will net you quite a few kills. If you put a rocket turret in an out of the way place so someone can run right past it .. well, you get lots of kills that way too :)

Note you can carry more then 1 turret. Just stand on top of a supply node (or have a gunner replenish you) and drop one. When your turret regenerates drop it too. Repeat until you have all the turrets you want.

CiD

I'm on Offense!
Dec 28, 2003
does driving a vehicle,or using its weapons,drain team energy?

Saito

Banned
Dec 30, 2003
bah I find I spend more time tk'ing dumb turrets then playing now.

on alcazar, I had to blow up 6 turrets, wtf why, then after I got rid of them the tech kept tk'ng me for revenge, argh, that ****e suck.

CiD

I'm on Offense!
Dec 28, 2003
i also hate getting TKed for picking some dumb techs turrets when my team doesn't have any energy sources.

Anathema-

Oct 19, 2003
Yes.

The raptors gun consumes 1/2 energy point per shot, and shoots about 10 rounds per second. It requires 1 energy per second to drive.

The juggernaut's gun requires 3 energy per shot. It also requires 1 energy per second for driving.

The harbinger's rocket gun requires 1 energy per rocket and shoots between 5 and 6 rockets per second. Its rear shock cannon requires 1 energy per shot and shoots about 8 rounds per second. It also requires 1 energy per second.

Of note is that the rear cannon of the harbinger will change for the next version, so I will update it when the patch goes live.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it does not take energy to spawn vehicles, but vehicles spawning does have a minimum required energy level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.