Wot... no Enfield, again?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What about the Enfield L85 / SA80?

• Yes, it deserves inclusion.

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No, it's poo.

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

danielout

Oct 25, 2003
*drool*
g36klauncher.jpg

so pretty..​

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
G36 said:
SaraP: wouldn't you have trouble grasping the HK69 with a C-MAG in place?

I like the plain-jane G36 (not G36E). Nice looking dual sights on that baby. In fact, it's a damn good looking rifle overall.

Look at the pic Daniel posted; the AG36 'nade launcher has a handle on it, and it's far enough forward that the drum magazine doesn't get in the way of reloading.

danielout

Oct 25, 2003
Speaking of the AG36, where would you hold the G36 if the AG is in place. My natural grip on it (this very well could be, and probably is, far from correct) is just forward of the magazine, as can be seen in my sig below (And man, my pale self should of worn gloves that day.)
However, that spot on a G36 with the AG attatched is occupied by the grip for the AG. Would you just use that grip as a foregrip sort of deal, or hold it on the barrel of the AG? Just curious... (though holding it too far forward for people with short arms such as my self I would think would be uncomfortable, and not as accurate... but i know nothing)

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Perhaps during the development of Inf 3.0 the community can vote whether they'd rather have an L85 or a FAMAS. I think most people have nothing against the L85, but unless the FAMAS goes it's just another addition to the list of stuff that would be cool to add after everything else is finished. Personally, I'd rather have the FAMAS first, but functionally, it's the same either way.

In terms of what is "likely" to be seen in combat, I'm not sure the answer is so one sided. The L85 may seem widley used now because of the current Iraq war, but before that the Brits weren't fighting a whole lot either. It seems like the French were more visible in UN related conflicts such as Bosnia/Croatia (though it may just seem that way to me cause I saw no man's land) than british. I haven't gone and tallied all the british and french military conflicts in the past twenty some years, all I'm saying is there's no need to make bold statements about weaponry based solely on which countries are involved in a current isolated political event. And if you're going to say that the british should have a weapon in Inf just because they were the world empire 300 years ago, that's a different story alltogether.

kungpaosamuraiii

HOVER TANKS
Mar 31, 2002
Cali
Well that would justify the implementation of the Enfield flintlock rifle.

14.5mm lead balls, DE stopping power can kiss my musket ball's ass.

Of course being a smoothbore one shot rifle using black powder would make for a slow loading rifle that has very little accuracy or stopping power at a distance and it'd give your posistion away from huge sound and giant muzzle flash.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
kungpaosamuraiii said:
Well that would justify the implementation of the Enfield flintlock rifle.

14.5mm lead balls, DE stopping power can kiss my musket ball's ass.

Of course being a smoothbore one shot rifle using black powder would make for a slow loading rifle that has very little accuracy or stopping power at a distance and it'd give your posistion away from huge sound and giant muzzle flash.

I ran the calculations for the stupping power on a Brown Bess musket once...it's got roughly the same muzzle energy as a 12-gauge shotgun firing Magnum slugs, although the musket ball has even more "oomph" because it's heavier. On the other hand, it's much shorter-ranged and fires maybe two shots a minute, versus pump-action or semiautomatic for the shottie.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Now, I say the same as in Raven Shield... we don´t need more weapons, we need the old ones in better quality (optical quality).
...and kick the damn G11 out...

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Gnam said:
In terms of what is "likely" to be seen in combat, I'm not sure the answer is so one sided. The L85 may seem widley used now because of the current Iraq war, but before that the Brits weren't fighting a whole lot either. It seems like the French were more visible in UN related conflicts such as Bosnia/Croatia (though it may just seem that way to me cause I saw no man's land) than british. I haven't gone and tallied all the british and french military conflicts in the past twenty some years, all I'm saying is there's no need to make bold statements about weaponry based solely on which countries are involved in a current isolated political event. And if you're going to say that the british should have a weapon in Inf just because they were the world empire 300 years ago, that's a different story alltogether.

I'm hurt....... THe British Army had the LARGEST element on the ground in the BAlkans conflict. I'll admit the French had the second (I think) largest but it was significantly smaller. As far as military deployments for teh two contries go I think again Britian are ahead but only slightly. The British have carried out alot of UN or other work in the Mid and Southern African continent as well as work in South America and Asia, while the French have deployed mainly to Asia, North Africa and the Middle East.

Remember Britian has been involved in the defence of Belize for over 50 years now and the policing of Cyprus for nearly as long.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Tiffy said:
THe British Army had the LARGEST element on the ground in the BAlkans conflict...Remember Britian has been involved in the defence of Belize for over 50 years now and the policing of Cyprus for nearly as long.
When you tally it all, Britain may very well come out on top, but as you have said yourself France would be second and in many cases only slightly behind Britain. The point is, it's stupid to say that France has had absolutely no part in modern warfare just because they chose to opt out of a recent UN conflict. The FAMAS shouldn't get kicked out of Inf just cause France isn't helping right now in Iraq.
SaraP said:
On the other hand, it's much shorter-ranged and fires maybe two shots a minute, versus pump-action or semiautomatic for the shottie.
Actually, American soldiers durring the Rev War could fire 4 shots a minute (or atleast that's what it said in the training manuals). Of course, when you actually try to do that yourself, you're lucky if you can get more than 1 in every minute, but I'm if you did it every day and your life depended on it, you'd get much faster. It also depends a lot on the size of the ball you're using and how much burnt powder has caked to the inside of the barrel durring previous shots. The first ball you load may practially slide down the barrel by itself, but after you've been firing for a while, you have to ram that sucker pretty hard. Atleast it would fair better in melee combat than, say, an M4A1 or a P90. :rolleyes:

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
As I understand it they have made it much easier to add new weapons. There is enough talent amoungest everyone, except me, that I am sure that some choice weapons could be added.

Just a thought. Anyways interesting discussion.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
I think we're going to have to make another "Official Weapon Suggestion thread" for people to let out their pent up weapon suggestions.

ninjin

The Franco-Japanese Carrot
Feb 24, 2001
Dalhousie Univ., NS, Canada
Enfield L85A2 / SA80, FN FAL, G3, Howa Type 64, Howa Type 89-F

i would like to see more "battle rifle" oriented weapons as well as weapons matching the new camos.

Personally, i'd like to see either a Howa Type 64 or Type 89-F to match the Jieitai camo.

but thats just me

Rattus

Never mess with a RODENT!
Dec 3, 2003
Austria
Visit site
I would really like to see more variety in weapons... who cares if they handle the same? Its even better, because you can chose the weapon you like most, not the one which is regarded best (like AUG, Enfield and G36K in RvS)

Btw, this is my third post, being the third in which I state that I want the AUG... should put that in my sig, so it just saves the time to type it :D