Why we get HIGH

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Chow Yun-Fat

W3RD UP
Jan 20, 2001
Don't call CAFFEINE a drug man! The men in the blue suits will take it away then! Don't you get it! And then the monkey things that bring the sleep stuff will return and we'll all be damned! so, SHHHHhhhhh!

hehe. I'm really impressed at how this community is handling this whole drug talk thingie. Very very impressed infact. /me pats everyone on the back.

c+k|nEVeRmOre

~A.K.A. wesley_sniper~
Originally posted by Domino
I find that hard to believe... why don't you retalliate with facts instead of fuzzy-logic. I've drunken coffee, Mt. Dew, and it never did any of <i>that</i>.
<i>That</i>? What the sam hell is <i>that</i>? Talk about <i>fuzzy logic</i>.Fact, caffeine is part of a group of drugs called stimulants. Other drugs in this category include methamphetamines and cocaine. And guess what? It is physically addictive.

As far as facts are concerned, anything you put into your body causes you to act and experience life differently. Ask a nutritionist. It is not my job to educate you about how your body works. That was the job of your school system, which evidently failed miserably, since you even questioned that :)

Mason

Self appointed voice of reason
Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
I think it's very unfair of ANY of you weed users to say that those who have never used have no room to talk. Nobody, as of yet, has said that you are bad people because of weed...yet some of you have insinuated just that towards those of us who have never used. I don't have to smoke cigarettes in order to have an opinion on them, I see that as a ludicrous thing to say. It would be different if someone condemned an action without doing any research on it, which noone here has even attempted to do. Some of you are becoming verry defensive when noone has said anything to make you that way, except maybe the fact that pot happen to be illegal at this very moment..although, once big business figures out a way to make trillions of dollars without sharing their business with the 'local dealer', I think it will probably become legal.

I don't use, that doesn't make my opinion any less valid than anyone else's. Some of you use, and I don't hold it against you, nor do I take your posts less serious because of it.

Actually, judging from what I have seen and read, I think alcohol and weed should be legal and tobacco shouldn't be..it is FAR more damaging than ANY research that I have seen on either pot or alcohol. The only time alcohol kills is when someone is irresponsible with it, and so far I have seen NO evidence that pot can be lethal..but we ALL know what nicotine can and does do to you, and it is FAR more addictive.

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Something like 90% of Americans consume caffeine in one form or another every single day. More than half of all American adults consume more than 300 milligrams (mg.) of caffeine every day, making it America's most popular drug by far. The caffeine comes in from things like coffee, tea, cola, chocolate, etc.

Caffeine is an addictive drug. Among its many actions, it operates using the same mechanisms that amphetamines, cocaine and heroin use to stimulate the brain. On a spectrum, caffeine's effects are more mild than amphetamines, cocaine and heroin, but it is manipulating the same channels and that is one of the things that gives caffeine its addictive qualities. If you feel like you cannot function without it and must consume it every day, then you are addicted to caffeine.

I remember see a show on TV where they were saying the same receptors in the brain that receive cocaine also receive caffeine. They were explaining how similar the two drugs are. And caffeine is most certainly a drug.

If caffeine were made illegal and places of empoyment started drug testing for it, I'm sure you'd see quite a few people who would rather lose their job than give up their caffeine.

Mason

Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
One other note, my aunt is a both a recovering alcoholic and a former smoker. She quit both cold turkey(she has amazing willpower!)...of the two, she said that it was FAR EASIER to stop drinking than to stop smoking.

Dank

Mac Guru
Sep 18, 2000
Genesis 1:12
Mason, I said I was sorry for my comments, but we have had this talk in here before.

Do you want me to edit my post to be more nice ?

Seriously though I feel people should go smoke a joint then come here and tell me pot is bad or should be illegal.

Go listen to Ben Harper: Burn One Down or come to IRC and I will send it to you

irc.utgames.com

#inf or #anf

Mason

Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
Why is everyone jumping up to loudly proclaim the evils of nicotine and caffeine when nobody has yet said anything that is that bad about pot? Maybe you hear it all in RL and are taking it out here, but as of yet the only thing said is that pot currently is illegal...

NOONE IS SAYING ANYTHING AGAINST THOSE WHO USE POT!! YOU ARE DEFENDING YOURSELF AGAINST.....NOTHING! Well, maybe against those outside of these forums who think pot is evil, but don't take it out on us!:D

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Pot makes me ill Dank. I just want to go to sleep until the bad feeling goes away.

And if you edited your post to make it nice, I would be wondering where the real Dank was.

Domino

< Phoenix Rising >
Oct 25, 1999
Houston
How can you even begin to compare caffeine to metamphetamines?? That's like comparing a bike wreck to a plane crash!!!

Caffeine does not release stored seretonin in your brain either, it doesn't make your eyes red, it doesn't give you the munchies... Get the picture??

Mason

Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
Dank, I am not even talking about your post, just the response of pot users here 'in general'. Hardly anyone is saying it SHOULD be illegal... I just think some of you need to take another hit and calm the hell down.:D

c+k|nEVeRmOre

~A.K.A. wesley_sniper~
Originally posted by Mason
I don't use, that doesn't make my opinion any less valid than anyone else's. Some of you use, and I don't hold it against you, nor do I take your posts less serious because of it.
While it may not make your opinion any less valid as an <i>opinion</i>, it is based entirely on <i>things</i> you have read or heard, but, not personally experienced. I don't know about you, but, if I was in the market for a new pistol, I would not buy one a gun dealer suggested unless he/she had personally #1 had experience with shooting firearms #2 had experience firing that <i>particular</i> firearm. The fact that he had not shot the pistol would not make his opinion of it any less valid, but, since he had no basis for comparison, I would shy away from his suggestion. Nonetheless, I would respect his opinion, as such, just as I respect your opinion.
Actually, judging from what I have seen and read, I think alcohol and weed should be legal and tobacco shouldn't be..it is FAR more damaging than ANY research that I have seen on either pot or alcohol. The only time alcohol kills is when someone is irresponsible with it, and so far I have seen NO evidence that pot can be lethal..but we ALL know what nicotine can and does do to you, and it is FAR more addictive.
Another note on the addictive qualities of nicotine: The success rate of people who kick heroin is many times higher than the success rate of people who try to discontinue the use of nicotine based products such as cigars, cigarettes, snuff and dip.

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Originally posted by Domino
How can you even begin to compare caffeine to metamphetamines??

I'm not comparing the two Domino. I'm just pointing out that they are chemically very similar. It's science that is comparing them.

/me thinks Domino gets a little too excited and is using too much of the drug he is defending...

Dank

Mac Guru
Sep 18, 2000
Genesis 1:12
Ok, ok wait a minute.......

Then what the hell is this thread about ?

Lamp Shade posted some ramblings about it helping him out........ the rest was history.

I just went into defend mode because that is what I'm used to.

I'm used to having Eyes-Only tell me how bad pot is and how it is a stepping stone drug and all that crap.

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
I think this thread is about Domino's caffeine abuse.

And pot is a stepping stone drug. I went from that to caffeine.

Edit - Domino, don't get your panties all in a bunch over this.. I'm just joking around. My whole point is that caffeine IS a drug. And it is probably more addictive than pot. It quite possibly has more detrimental effects than marijuana. Someone look up the harmful side effects of caffeine please.

Last edited:

Mason

Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
Ok, Ok, but noone here(right now) is condemning the use of weed. I think some of you just need to chill out a little. ...and Nevermore, you are arguing with me about a point that I see the same was as you! That is a lilttle silly. Maybe all that pot use is making you paranoid?;) (note: that IS meant as a joke)

Regarding opinions, not having experience in a matter doens't automatically make you WRONG, nor does it automatically make you RIGHT if you DO have experience.

I still can't believe you are arguing with me on a point that I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU ON!!

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Caffeine can produce many effects including:

*Elevated blood sugar (gives the feeling of an energy surge)
*Elevated blood fats
*Increased blood pressure
*Stimulated central nervous system (may cause one to override the body's call for rest)
*Irregular heart beat
*Increased urinary calcium and magnesium losses (may impact on long-term bone health)
*Increased stomach acid secretion (aggravates a stomach ulcer)
*Tremors, irritability, and nervousness
*Insomnia and disruption of sleep patterns
*Anxiety and depression
*Heightened symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS)

Caffeine is an addictive drug and its regular use can lead
to dependency with unknown long-term effects.

There are a lot of drugs that we comsume every day. Most of them we are told are "OK" by the government. The truth is that a lot of them are not any more OK than pot is. Caffeine is a perfect example.

Dank's dragon on caffeine:
drgnsmoke.gif

Last edited: