Why No Gears 2 For PC?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Hot on the heels of Cliff Bleszinski's comments on PC piracy, Ripten has posted a clarification it obtained from Mark Rein stating that piracy wasn't really the reason Gears 2 won't see the light of day on the PC. A Rein post in the VE3D comment section of the story goes a step further:

Folks,

Even though PCF worked on Gears PC (mostly doing the new multiplayer content and some of the porting chores) it still required significant effort from several folks on the Epic side. That effort took resources away from some of the post-ship support for Gears on 360. On Gears 2 we decided 100% of the effort was going to go to the one console version. I believe that concentration of effort has made Gears 2 an even better game than the original. The reaction we've seen this week from the press who got to play a little bit of the game appears to be confirming that. In addition PCF is now working on their own kickass game, to be published by EA, which is being designed from the start for both PC and console as opposed to Gears which was designed for console and then ported to PC.

Is piracy a problem with PC gaming? Sure, but that has nothing to do with this situation. This was simply about how we could best maximize the use of our limited resources

Enfluence

I kinda like UT3.
Jan 25, 2008
Gears of War sucked because 7 people didn't work on the post-shipping????
WHAT THE HELL?

And GoW2 will be better because you've had experience from making a previous game of the same nature...not because of that...

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well its good to get some clarification on the topic, Im with elmuerte though no plans to get a 360 so no GoW2 for me either.

If we consequently continue that train of thought, UT4 would be PC-only...

This is also a very good point on the topic, there is certainly room for multiplatform titles but I think every platform has shown it can move the right game off the shelves.

I still find the news strange that it came on the heels of MS opening up more live stuff for free on PC, with DoW2 looking to hit live it'll certainly make it more attractive but hey GoW2 doesnt look to be on the list.

Anyways it does make you wonder what the second team at Epic are doing with UT3 support winding down, maybe it takes more resources to keep all 3 games patched up then Im thinking. You think having all those options on PC is bad, throw in certifications on 2 platforms for the same game ontop of that :p

Hey heres an idea, get DE to port GoW2 to PC :lol:

Last edited:

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
Good job Epic; from best developer to worst since 2007 Q3 :rolleyes:

Well its good to get some clarification on the
Hey heres an idea, get DE to port GoW2 to PC :lol:

LMAO! Yeah and how about asking Silicon Knights too...? :lol:

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
In addition PCF is now working on their own kickass game, to be published by EA, which is being designed from the start for both PC and console

So are they saying that this PCF game isn't going to be as good a game as GoW2? They have to design it for PC and console, whereas they weren't willing to compromise GoW2 in such a way.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
As I stated in the other post, they are somewhat right: cross-platform development does dirty the waters of one platform with elements from another. Thus, the final product is worse for it.

AS UT3 WAS.

Please, just keep GoW console, and UT pc. Please.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I was thinking of getting GoW for PC, but between the lack of PC port plans for the sequel and the comments made by Cliffy I'll pass. No 360 here either.... for now.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Well its good to get some clarification on the topic, Im with elmuerte though no plans to get a 360 so no GoW2 for me either.

That may not be such a disaster, GoW2 might not be what you wanted anyway, look here:

http://www.casualgaming.biz/news/27817/Epic-Were-aiming-for-casual-gamers

Exe posted that in the other thread, and not only does Clifford once again tell us that piracy is infact the reason, he's also here to tell us that GoW2 is aimed at the casual gamer, apparently more so than GoW was.

Most people here don't strike me as casual gamers though, so this will probably be bad news for many.

PeterVenkman

May 12, 2008
Southern California
Well, I'm SOOO glad the developers decided that they could make a better game if they only made it for one platform. It really makes me wonder where this philosophy was when they were making UT3...

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Well, I'm SOOO glad the developers decided that they could make a better game if they only made it for one platform. It really makes me wonder where this philosophy was when they were making UT3...

If they had it when they were making UT3, UT3 would have been a PS3 exclusive.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
I was thinking of getting GoW for PC, but between the lack of PC port plans for the sequel and the comments made by Cliffy I'll pass. No 360 here either.... for now.

Same for me. I make a point of buying games when I support the developer, but if CliffyB wants me to be a pirate, I'm not opposed to disappointing him, especially after releases like UT3.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
I don't believe much in the various "platforms" being different. Specially not the game consoles like PS3 and XBox360, they have pretty much identical input. The only issue is the hardware and software differences.

What's up with the whole complaining ****. Since when is it a problem that devs don't want to "port" the game to a different platform. As far as I know it hasn't been an problem in the past 30 years.

Same for me. I make a point of buying games when I support the developer, but if CliffyB wants me to be a pirate, I'm not opposed to disappointing him, especially after releases like UT3.

What a stupid remark. Cliff didn't make UT3.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
That may not be such a disaster, GoW2 might not be what you wanted anyway, look here:

http://www.casualgaming.biz/news/27817/Epic-Were-aiming-for-casual-gamers

Exe posted that in the other thread, and not only does Clifford once again tell us that piracy is infact the reason, he's also here to tell us that GoW2 is aimed at the casual gamer, apparently more so than GoW was.

Most people here don't strike me as casual gamers though, so this will probably be bad news for many.

Oh please ... stop with the gaming elitism please. Of course the game is going to have a real easy mode this time so more people who game can enjoy it. You shouldn't have to be great at a game to enjoy it and plenty of folks will want to play this soley because it looks so great. And Halo 3 did the same thing ... I played the game on every difficulty setting. And in offering a true easy mode they also offered Legendary which is still super hard and plays very different thanks to the A.I.

Gears was the same (Casual and Insane play completely different) and Gears 2 will continue with having brutally hard modes (hardcore and Insane) while offering a normal mode for average players and an easy mode for true casual gamers. Plenty of folks play through a campaign once on easy just to be able to really enjoy the graphics and get to learn the weapons and enemies without dying a lot. Plus the hardest mode is usually unlocked after playing through on a lower one anyone.

It's just like NG2 and NG Black ... they have easy modes for folks that are not that good at the game but want to enjoy it nonetheless, and its the same with Gears 2. Also its just like Star Wars TFU. Easy/Apprentice mode is super easy and made for people who just want to have easy fun and people who are just casual gamers. Then there is Sith Master which I am playing through atm and its guaranteed to drive you nuts but in a good fun way, but you better know what you are doing or be prepared to die a lot.

Anyway I find it funny how Epic cannot get their story straight. Its not like its the first time Cliffy has shot his mouth off and Rein or someone else has come to his rescue. Its getting tiring. Gears 2 just may be the last time I spend money on a Epic product. It is also going to be something to see how many folks break down and get a 360 just to play it. I can't wait for that.:lol:

MuLuNGuS

Apr 14, 2005
so working on GOW1 PC took away resources from developing GOW1 XBOX version?!

i don't believe it, i'll go so far to say that PCF startet to port GOW1 to PC after finishing GOW1 on XBOX.

if the PC version would hit the shelves one month after XBOX ok, but one whole year?