Why can't Clinton be president right now?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mad_Dog

Voice Of Reason
Mar 27, 2001
Soviet Canuckistan
www.planetunreal.com
read this.

North Americans have worked to tear down the walls that inhibit their progress in science, economics and politics, but living without walls has left them vulnerable to terrorism, former U.S. president Bill Clinton says.

During a speech at a charity dinner last night, he said the trends which have lent the 21st century so much promise are impossibly bound up with the trends that have led to so much danger.

"You cannot take down walls, collapse distances and spread information . . . claim all the benefits of openness without making yourself more vulnerable in that openness," Clinton said.

On Sept. 10, North America was speeding forward with robust economies, technological advances, biological and scientific advances and a steady spread of democracy.

But also on Sept. 10, grinding poverty meant half the world's population lived on less than $2 a day, global warming threatens floods and disruptions to agriculture, the AIDS epidemic threatens to kill more people than the plague of the Middle Ages and terrorism was spreading.

"The world is about what they all have in common," Clinton said during an animated speech delivered without notes.

"All four positive and all four negative things reflect the astonishing degree to which we've become interdependent."

But Clinton stressed there are solutions.

First, the United States and Canada must win the war on terrorism, he said.

Secondly, "we have to spread the benefits and shrink the burdens of the world we live in so we have fewer potential terrorist and more potential partners."

That means helping developing countries with health and education programs. Many of those programs are underway and simply need more dedication, he said.

Last year, Canada and the United States voted to forgive the debts of the 24 poorest countries in the world, provided they put all that money into health, education and development.

As a result, Uganda, for one, doubled primary school enrolment in one year.

"We ought to do more of that," Clinton said.

In Brazil, 97 per cent of poor children go to school regularly because that country pays mothers to send them there.

Canada, the United States and the European should help out, he said.

"Does it cost money? Yep. It's a lot cheaper than going to war."

Finally, he said the United States and Canada need to do more to promote democracy.

And the United States must get more aggressive in countering the claims of the terrorists.

He said Muslims need to know how many of their fellow Muslims died in the World Trade Centre bombings.

And they should know that Canada, the United States and Britain went to war the last time to protect the rights of persecuted Muslims in Bosnia.

"Ultimately, this is a big fight for the soul of the 21st century," he said.

About 900 guests paid $350 each to dine on Saltspring lamb and coastal mushrooms with the president. An additional 150 paid $1,000 for a private reception and a chance for a photo with Clinton.

Some of the proceeds from the evening — $50,000 — was donated to the B.C. Children's Hospital.

B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell introduced Clinton by referring to the friendship between the two countries.

He said Vancouver firefighters collected more than $750,000 in one day to support the families of firefighters killed while trying to rescue people trapped in the World Trade Centre on Sept. 11.

Campbell also obliquely raised British Columbians' concerns about the current trade dispute with the United States over softwood lumber.

Without ever mentioning the hefty punitive duties the United States has imposed on B.C. softwood, Campbell noted that Clinton's leadership led to the North American Free Trade Agreement.

"President Clinton has always been an advocate of free and open trade between Canada and the United States, free and open debate, free and open discourse, the things that strengthen our countries and strengthen our democracies," Campbell said, pointing out the two countries do $569 billion worth of trade.

The softwood duties have cost thousands of British Columbian jobs. Canada maintains the United States is turning its back on the spirit of free trade with the duties.

whatever you think of Clinton, it seems he would have produced a much better response to the sept. 11 attacks than bush... it's like a scalpel compared to a hammer.

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
Had Bill Clinton been allowed to run for this term I have almost no doubt that he would've won... hell, the terrorists probably had this planned years ago and only decided to wait until America got Bush...

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
Clintons a refined man who dosent like to use force where he can avoid it. He would probly have tried a quick strike then a slower approach with less total violence.

much as I hate to say it, a hammer is what you need to play international "wack-a-mole"

after its over though, we're going to need another fence mender.
I dont see GW as being the world peace type.

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Did anyone ever actually believe George W. Bush was anything other than a war-monger? He wants his place in history, and not for sub-par speaking ability. I think we all saw war coming.

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
Did anyone ever actually believe George W. Bush was anything other than a war-monger?
- a jackass, a villain, an ignoramus, a coward, a hypocrite, a spineless twerp, a spoilt brat, a terracidal oil tycoon, and an inarticulate speaker to boot. :D

jaeg

PopeyeTurbo
Oct 18, 2000
Yeah, since Bush has come into power his administration has done nothing international except try to instigate wars all over the world. Particulary with China. This didn't happen with Clinton running things. That type of stuff just makes me feel sick to be American.

[Delta]Predator

Mar 24, 2001
Behind you...
www.phillipsfam.com
If Clinton was president, we'd still get attacked, and he would just want to show them how to create nuclear weapons so he can get more money (like he did with china), and he'd be having sex in the oval office while we get nuked instead of get hit by planes. Just put yourselves in the position of someone whose family member was killed because of the attacks. I'm sure you would hate Little Billy to be president then.

That type of stuff just makes me feel sick to be American.

No one said you have to stay here, I'll help buy your plane tickets if you want. Personally I'm proud to live in the greatest country that exists.

Rabid-pitbull

Oct 13, 2000
Originally posted by RAZZ
Clintons a refined man who dosent like to use force where he can avoid it. He would probly have tried a quick strike then a slower approach with less total violence.

HUH? he started more wars than any president in us history...
:stick:

jaeg

PopeyeTurbo
Oct 18, 2000
I'm not lying, the Bush Administration has basically destroyed a decade worth of clandestine foreign policy in half a year in favor of policies that seek to provoke action with rising nations (India, China) as well as Russia.

It's almost like this generation of Republicans wishes they were back in the good 'ol days with Ronnie and those big, bag commie Soviets.

Last edited:

thewalkingman

ssssssssssss bugger!
Nov 12, 2000
Quahog
Visit site
I take it you all are packing your bags and heading for Canada?

building bombshelters?

Didnt think so?

Do something other than regurgitating hate.

Come on! talk is cheap and getting up every morning shaking fists at that bad ole Bush isnt accomplishing anything.

Anything at all...except filling up forum space...

The talk is getting old as with it was Clinton bashers do something please.

Really

/walks away knowing nothing will be done.................

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Sorry Rogue. I couldn't vote for Clinton another time. Against the rules and all.

I voted for my guy, and he didn't win (even with the majority...damn new math).

I was impressed with GWB during the first few days of Sept 11th aftermath, but it's back down to the normal level of bumbling and stammering. Kind of like if the mayor on Spin City was president.

But, it could be worse. We could have Buchanan!

BrownyMan

Poet, Gentleman, Infiltrator?
Mar 21, 2000
USA, NH
Visit site
WellÉ

Right now I'm just taking everything as it comes, personally it is in my humbled opinion that William Jeferson Clinton was a wonderful President, dispite his sexual alegations (Things like that are between him, his wife and her, not the whole freling world).

And as far as dubuya goes, I'm sure he's doing the best he can as he sees fit.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
bah, gw needs to knock up an intern befor he gets my respect :p

Clinton had his share of conflict. but all the deployments were more lowkey and very directed. not as many complaints from the international commuity.
GW is like a shotgun, ready to take the war anywhere at any time.
we're going to have to deal with saddam again befor this is over.
might as well be him that does it.

MiscMan

The Grand Elitist
Dec 24, 1999
Uhh, NAFTA really wasn't a good thing.

And Clinton wasn't all that great.

Jotun

RAR!
Sep 30, 2000
RAR!
Even though my family would kill me for saying this, I do wish Clinton was back in office. It would just make more Americans secure having a fairly experienced President instead of a "rookie". As for America being the greatest country there is... I highly doubt it. Just think back into history... Caeser thought Rome was the greatest Empire there was, Napoleon with France, Hitler with Germany, Mussolini with Italy, Stalin with Russia, and so on... now look where these countries are

On a lighter note, did anyone catch that South Park with Osama Bin Laden? That was some funny ****! :D

Buddy_Pickle

Fffeeerrrtt!!!
Jan 30, 2000
West Jordan Utah
www.myextralife.com
Oh brother...

Its so easy to say stuff like this. (on both sides really.) On the one hand, Clinton was a eloquent speaker, who might have had some ability to overt the events of 9/11. A man that terrorists revered, according to your post, so much that they would 'put things off' till later.

Really?

So remind me, who was president in 93 when the trade center was bombed the first time?

The truth is more like this: These terrorists could give a rats ass who is president. They hate us ALL, not just the ones with 7 months of Bush under our belts. To predict the outcome of anything is futile anyway, since none of us posess the ability to do so.

Who was president when a jet was blown up over Scotland? Who was president when the civil war bloomed? "Hell, I sure wish Lincoln's neighbor Frank was president...then things would be different." This is bad logic gentlemen.

I don't think Bush has done many things right with this whole thing, and I dont think Gore would have done much right either...but there I go again, trying to predict something I have no ability to predict.

If those stuipid Yankees had eaten their Weaties last month, those stupid Diamond Backs would not be world series champs! (Works for everything really.)