Why are people such a$$holes at the Epic forums?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ionium

Dec 30, 2005
Really? Can you tell me more about that?
well the UI sure is consolized. Come on really? Magnified mouse-over effects? So 1995. Epic can do better than that. Slider bars to adjust things? Give me input boxes so I can adjust the settings from 0 to 50 or something depending on what it is. Red and white GUI? I thought UT3 was supposed to be dark and grungy, another thing that turned me off. GoW GUI was MUCH better. Shoulda been like that. Thank god there's mapmixer available, that interface is sooooo much better. It's what UT3's should have been in the first place. Just overall, the UT3 GUI feels like it was made for console kids.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I still wonder to this day why people say consoles are for kids when I have seen my fair share of pc players that acted like they were 12 years old and were born in a white supremacist community. Being a pc only gamer doesn't make your balls any more bigger, just means your only having a slice of the whole pie.

Sos_your_face

how you become manta?
Dec 8, 2008
S. Florida
www.clan-bge.com
Here's the thread in question: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=648718

Here's a thread for Bret's recent MSUC entry, Valhara: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=623211&page=4

No offense Bret, but you do have a history of creating maps that look really nice but have flaws that prevent them from truly being "finished." Like teleporters that face you the wrong way (easy to fix, btw) and something as simple as moving the KillZ up so that you don't fall for 2 minutes before you finally die. There's nothing wrong with these things, except that you also have a history of not fixing these issues. This largely ruins these maps for online play, because online players try and find the problems with maps and will exploit them. Especially being able to get outside of the playable area.

I don't do much beta testing at the Epic forums. There's just too many maps to keep track of it all. But if you'd like, you can come post your maps for beta testing at the BGE forums. As previously said, your maps are beautiful, and we'd love to help you polish them off. http://www.clan-bge.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=41

(I realize you probably hate BGE at this point, because it seems that half of your hater entourage are from my clan (comador, oldskool). However, that makes them ideal beta testers, because they would love to try and break your maps. Think about it!)

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Then Bret Hart I can't say anything more than that the epic forum guys have a good reason for bashing you on the epic forums.... I think it's pretty sad you come here for support and try to get everyone on your side with out even telling them why everyone hates you there... I do admit that the guy on that thread was being nothing but a troll but the other threads are the ones I'm talking about. :)

Last edited:

Oldskool0482

Dec 28, 2008
The reason I went off on you Bret Hart on the Epic forums, is because of how u posted in that site. Some guy was saying that u didn't fix the collision issues with that rock, and this I quote from u is what you said.

"Well if the map still had major issues as you claim it to have, then why did my map score 70 or more to make the list? Is it because the judges didnt see the glitch, or they saw it and chose to ignore it, or did I actually fix it? I'll let you ponder on that one. "

Now, that just pissed me off, you scored a 70 yay, don't mean your map don't still have issues. And so I went off and then posted the pictures of how to break your map in 10 minutes. Oh Well you might have scored a 70 or better and thats great, but the way your attitude is on those forums is like u do no wrong, and everyone else is retards. First off I don't ever see you in game, and if so what name do you use. I map sure, but I'm a player first, I don't know if you play or not, but u should get your maps more beta tested than they are, because there is still holes in them. I'm not gonna bash you no more there is no point, but think about what you say before you say it, because you come off as an arrogant prick most of the time.

Whiskey 7

Just another Earthling
Feb 2, 2008
www.whiskey7.org
As you said ...

....... some n00b with 5 posts out of nowhere....

I know it takes all types but please, there are enough negative vibes already on this planet.

This sort of thing happens to us all at some time. My only advice Ionium is not to take it personally :stick:

Last edited:

Whiskey 7

Just another Earthling
Feb 2, 2008
www.whiskey7.org
^ I just looked at your website and my jaw dropped in awe. It's like time had gone backwards to web design circa 1996! :eek:

TY.

I did it for fun years ago, original was on a floppy I think, been renovating ever since.

Every time I get the urge I add to it.

Did you click on the hyperlinks to sound files?

On my list of things to do before I leave the planet is to really get into it and fortify it and add some fancy stuff, flash, guest book that sort of stuff.

Any suggestions welcome (PM) or I can start another topic as I don't want to hijack this one :D

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
^ I just looked at your website and my jaw dropped in awe. It's like time had gone backwards to web design circa 1996! :eek:

:lol:

Actually I really appreciate the nostalgia... reminds me of a more innocent time, full of wonder and discovery.

Ionium

Dec 30, 2005
As you said ...

I know it takes all types but please, there are enough negative vibes already on this planet.

This sort of thing happens to us all at some time. My only advice Ionium is not to take it personally :stick:

Guess you are right. I've had PLENTY of good comments on my maps so I don't know why I let the few negative ones affect me...

Last edited:

Whiskey 7

Just another Earthling
Feb 2, 2008
www.whiskey7.org
Guess you are right. I've had PLENTY of good comments on my maps so I don't know why I let the few negative ones affect me...

Ionium, you may not realize but I used to critique early maps in early Half Life, Unreal and Quake engine games for a while at least. I just offered my thoughts, observations and suggestions.

One day some one gave me a hard time just like you, but I threw in the towel and didn't continue. Please don't follow my path ;)

Ionium

Dec 30, 2005
Is this the same guy that claimed Epic stole his map?
No, im not him. And I am NOT complaining about negative comments I'm complaining about straight up troll comments people give me from time to time and am trying to figure out WHY they try to hard to be a$$hats. Maybe it's their nature, I don't know.

Last edited:

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
You know, most of the "official" and unofficial forums of games these days are that way. BU is actually an exception rather than the norm. People come to BU for community and discussion, not for trolling and crap. Hal and Brizz nip that in the bud. You can troll and flame at a thousand other forums on the net, nice of them to keep that to a minimum here.

Status
Not open for further replies.