Which space fighting game is good?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
cleve-ntt said:
Actually, IIRC the colossus isnt as big as the Big scary santhasas
I think that's the Juggernauts ;) and they are not that big IIRC

Anyway, I'd like to see a trainer that allows me to play the whole game in a Manta fighter
the once you pilot in one of the infiltration missions[/spolier].

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
Freon said:
I think that's the Juggernauts ;) and they are not that big IIRC

Anyway, I'd like to see a trainer that allows me to play the whole game in a Manta fighter
the once you pilot in one of the infiltration missions

You mean that you'd like to play te whole game ina SF Mara fighter, for instance launching from a Sathannas-class juggernaut, right ? :D
Juggernaut is the vessel type, like one would say "cruiser" or "corvette". Both the Sathannas-class and the Collossus are Juggernauts, one is shivan and the other is a GTVA design.
Sathannas is the class, like you have two classes of terran destroyer, the Orion class (like the GTD Galatea or the GTD Bastion) and the Hecate class (like the GTD Aquitaine). A ship class is named after the name of the first ship of this class ever built or met.
And the Sathannas-class juggernauts are damn big. Colossus-like size. A Hecate-class destroyer like the Aquitain easily fits within the 4 "claws" of a Sathannas.
What ? Why is everyone looking at me like that :D

GeneticFreak

evolves and survives
I would advise X2 (when it does come out) or has it come out already? Info plz.
Cause X was great.

Freelancer is FUN in multiplayer on a dedicated server.

Well if what you're looking is a totaly simulation kind of space game then neither X or Freelancer would suit you. The controls are made easy / the emphasis is more on the RPG & Trading stuff.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
// GeneticFreak
X2 is for sale in the USA ... it's just us europeans that will have to wait until next year :(

MisterP

Hmm, Upgrades... 2.86 to 2.9.. rock on!
Dec 26, 2000
UK
For a pure space simulation try Orbiter. It's free and allows you to fly various space shuttles.

Key Features: -

1. Realistic physics. Planetary motion, gravitation effects, free space and atmospheric flight are accurately modelled.

2. You can land your ship at a space port on a planet surface, or dock to an orbital station.

3. High resolution planetary maps provide some nice visual effects.

4. Configurable environment. Users can add planets, space ships and space stations to the existing universe, or design a completely new solar system from scratch. The Orbiter Software Development Kit contains libraries and sample C++ code for addon developers who want to write plugins.

http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/orbit.html

I only found out about this not so long ago and haven't had much time trying it out. If anyone gets to play it for awhile, let us know how easy/hard it is.

O_DoGG

Le Boner
Nov 17, 2002
France
www.clanvega.com
The winner for me is :Freespace. Space fighting, just fighting, and a plot to justify the fightings. Seriously though, it's what I had been seeking for ages. Nice graphics, great playability, top immersiveness.
Thanks DamienW ;)

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Well, got a chance to try out X2 The Threat yesterday.

Initial reactions were "Wow!". The game starts with a pretty nice animation sequence done with the game engine. On my system it was a bit stuttering and I did fear it would be the same once in game but once in game it was smooth and good all the time without any stuttering etc..

So, basically you have the option to do pretty much whatever you want or follow the story based missions. The missions following the plot have nice animation sequences with walking characters and spoken dialogues and you even get some options to choose what you want to ask..something of Freelance feel to it actually.

The graphics are stunning, best I have seen in a space sim sofar with volumetric nebula clouds, nice lights&shadows. You have a cockpit view that can be viewed around in and also outside views.

Your first ship is a small M5 class ship that can hold less than 40 whateverunit of cargo. You can buy new ships, equipment and even factories (stations in space) and I suppose own space stations. You can have your own fleets of traders, or attack forces as well.

There are jumpgates between the different systems and navigation is pretty easy. Most of the stations are dockable, and once you are inside the station you have to park your ship by manually flying it to a docking thingie, much like Descent but in a slower pace. You can also exit from the ship and fly around in a space suite (althou I didn't try that one yet)

Apparently there are thousands of different items one can trade in or manufacture in different factories.

The flying about feels pretty ok but I had wished for more inertia as now it feels you can stop in a seconds from full speed. Definitly not as advanced "physics" as in the I-war series but it is good enough I guess.

Each station have a bulletinboard with loads of news items as well as random job offerings. Eg. someone needs a quick transport to some specific point, worth so and so much of credits.

There are several races in the game, all with their own distinctive style of stations and I suspect own cargo types. In whole, the universe seems very dynamic and a live with pirate ships flying here and there, cargo transporters on their own missions etc..

Well, after only a few hours of testing it seems to be a quite a good game. I haven't experienced any combat yet and what I have read, it might break the game...so I don't know yet if this game will be a keeper or not. If the fighting is good enough, it might be a very long appealing game where you can earn billions with your own trading empire, or you could go pirate..or hunt pirates or just follow the plot line..

Almost forgot: www.egosoft.com

//Kee

Last edited:

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
BlAcK_PlAgUe22 said:
Ooh, Vega Strike is fun! :)
Yup. Played it for many many hours, until my savegame got corrupted. I loved the physics, game, it plays just like privateer, just what I wanted. However, unlike privater, there are some issues. Serious issues. Like, loosing money. Gobs of money. Or loosing equipment and cargo and goods. Or ****ing getting completely raped because I bought a ship and lost all my money and cant trade goods because it's a fighter. Other than that, things were great :)

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I ooze.
Jul 30, 2001
Irvine, California
plague.vze.com
Keganator said:
Yup. Played it for many many hours, until my savegame got corrupted. I loved the physics, game, it plays just like privateer, just what I wanted. However, unlike privater, there are some issues. Serious issues. Like, loosing money. Gobs of money. Or loosing equipment and cargo and goods. Or ****ing getting completely raped because I bought a ship and lost all my money and cant trade goods because it's a fighter. Other than that, things were great :)

I know exactly what you mean, keg. Most of the time I just trade in the beginning until I get enough money to buy a milspec Hyena (it's l33t). After that, i take bounty missions. Recently I bought a milspec hammer... thought it was **** at first. I didn't realize that the ion cannons really do damage enemies. Anyways, I took a kill the pirate corvette for 17 mil... that was too easy. 4 FOF missiles took it down. It's "protection" was a plowshare :D. Unfortunately, I decided to land, and they killed me on the pad. :rolleyes:

I just bought a mule... not liking it. Turns way too slow... and I don't like turrets that much.

My main ships now are the hyena and hammer... I hear the ship to be is a Goddard. \o/

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Well, did some combat in X2 and I'm afraid it sucks donkey balls.
It is really horrible. You spin around so quickly it is almost impossible to hit anything, the enemy AI sucks, general tactics seems to be head on collision. It is just not fun nor rewarding. Jeez...a potentially killer game that got really really whacked by unplayability. I guess it is a nice trading game as it is and once you got some huge mofo with good shields you could become pretty indestructable but damn, not what I had hoped for.

Anyway, Inf2.9 is here, who gives a crap :)

//Kee

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
Woo, so far allegiance is grrreat!!

Its not THE most amazing game, but the cool thing is that you get professional polish (not found with Vega and stuff) a lovely UI, and its free and legal!!

The online play is good, with a nice community of friendly people :) (Thanks for the help, Duckwarrior!)

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Alliegance is one of the best games ever in history of the world, period. Only problem was that it was way before it's time. Only now is that RTS/FPS/Sim hybrid coming into play, and even then it was only with the mod Natural Selection. I've only seen it a little bit at a friend of mine's, but he swears by it. I'd love to play it someday, when I have no other obligations. I feel it's probably one of those games that would suck me in and never let me go. Kinda like infiltration did :D