What is your game?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which INF do you prefer? (excluding INF 2.9)

• INF 2.86 all by it's vanilla self. Yummers.

Votes: 39 36.1%
  • RAV2 with compass/dtas/etc

Votes: 55 50.9%
  • RA2.86 with compass/dtas/etc

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Something else (previous version, etc)

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Welcome to the boards, Watty.

RA and RAv2 as it has been referred to here is a mutator to Infiltration made by a guy calling himself Yurch. It basically changes the pace of the game and makes it harder (or more realistic) to aim. Some people like to play a slower paced game and play either of the RA (Real Aim) versions. Some other mutators have also been created to add more "feel" to the game. DTAS (Dynamic Take And Secure) adds a flag to the game that either team has to either capture or defend. A compass (the GPS mutator) has also been added with additional keybinds which enables you to tell your team mates where the enemy is coming from or in which direction you are heading.

There are other mutators too, such as RA286 which has it's own set of features. The clean, no-mutie version of Infiltration is usually referred to as Vanilla INF. Best thing to do is basically try them all and find out what suits you best. It's all down to personal preference. Play it the way you like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Welcome Watty.

Yes do try all versions of mutes and Vanilla. It may seem like us old cronies do a bit of yelling and beating our chest what is better but only you can answer that for yourself. Try them all play them all. Don't mind us.

[C22]-SpOOky

Inf Old-Timer
Oct 22, 2002
England
spooky.c-22.org
Almost When u list all the extra's it Sounds great fun :)

The only thing i dont like is the very slow speed of movment it seems unreal to me .. But i have to admit its not as unreal as bunny hoping on the servers .. and that is summat that sucks with vanilla

Btw Watty is a rl m8 of mine I recently installed it to his pc and also 2 other new inf guys .. Ninja & Gibbo
Its unlikely they will have time to try Ra or any muties, since they are still learning how the game works and hopefully 2.9 will be out soon :D

Im still Spreading the word of inf :D Amen

Last edited:

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
As long as its Infiltration life is good.
I find the speed of RA about right. Prefer it to the bunnie hopping marathon running. Each to his own.
Like I said as long as its Infiltration life is good.

C22-Mort

Oct 22, 2002
www.c-22.org
Vanilla Clan Matches for me....I don't play on publics much cos I don't enjoy it as much as I used to, never been much of a bunnyhopping shottie user ;)

Tried RAv1 and that was good fun, infact Catch-22 have played some RAv1 matches and won them :D

Tried RAv2 and found it okay just too restrictive and frankly unrealistic, I have asthma and can still run further than in the game (not that I'm a rusher, far from it) but it would be nice to be able to move from one area of cover to another without having to A: Wait 10 minutes for stamina to build or B: walk!

Patiently awaiting 2.9 at which point C22 will be in serious training again :D :D

and it is a real shame that if somebody in the Vanilla world mentions a post on the "OFFICIAL INfiltration Forums", he is asked why he visits the "RealAim Forums" :(, but that IS the general opinion of these forums!

Last edited:

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Discussions are what the boards are for. The fact is that most people really don't care if you play vanilla or either of the RA versions. Let people know why you like either and discuss it, but please don't make it into a "they all hate me because I play vanilla"-discussion, cause that's simply not the case.

And you're right, it IS a damn shame if someone looks at these forums as "the RA forums", but who has the power to change that? And if this really IS a "RA forum" maybe it's because the RA players seems to like discussing things more than vanilla players? Is it because the RA players care more? Are they more eager to push for changes to the game? I don't know. However, I have to agree. There are more people playing RA than there are people playing vanilla on the forums. Bottom line is, if that's going to change, the vanilla players are the ones who have to change it. And since you and others in your clan are already here, I'm not referring to you, but the others who play vanilla :)

Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
C22-Mort said:
Tried RAv2 and found it okay just too restrictive and frankly unrealistic, I have asthma and can still run further than in the game (not that I'm a rusher, far from it) but it would be nice to be able to move from one area of cover to another without having to A: Wait 10 minutes for stamina to build or B: walk!

Don't sprint. Sprinting full on can only be done for about 100 meters by anyone, olympian athlete or not.

As to jogging draining stamina, you forget that INF_Guy is carrying a 20 Kilo pack, minimum. You keep up a nice long jog with a heavy burden on your back, and carrying 2-6 kilo rifle.LMG in your hands.

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
I would like to see more of a view point from vanilla players. People who play the game differently bring something to the discussion. I may see you point but I don't have to agree with it and the same goes the other way. I don't need to point out dicussions WILL get heated.

C22-Mort

Oct 22, 2002
www.c-22.org
Demosthanese said:
Don't sprint. Sprinting full on can only be done for about 100 meters by anyone, olympian athlete or not.

As to jogging draining stamina, you forget that INF_Guy is carrying a 20 Kilo pack, minimum. You keep up a nice long jog with a heavy burden on your back, and carrying 2-6 kilo rifle.LMG in your hands.

That wasn't the only thing I disliked, and I do see your point BUT look at what they regularly do in training in the REAL armies, I still find it a little unrealistic, I don't doubt that it give the game the balance you need but I found it not to my tastes.

RAv1 seemed to be quite good for me but all anybody ever seemed to do on the servers is camp and exploit the leanbug :(

and the vanilla servers do tend to be full of bunnyhopping, draining stamina is a good way of stopping that but it reduces the ability to "climb", which is also unrealistic, just cos I'm tired doesn't mean I can't climb onto a crate/wall but this is down to the engine rather than ANY gamestyle!

So here's hoping that 2.9 can bring us ALL what we want (and if not that we all can adapt), because I for one am REALLY looking forward to the first 2.9 league with Vanilla, RAv1 & RAv2 clans participating :D

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
i prefer RAV2 but i remember that back in the days i enjoyed regular INF 2.86 a lot , and i was a killer :D

i gone to RAv2 because some people forced me to join ;) and i love it.
i just regret that the ACOG weapons are harder to use in RAv2 than in real life i think , and the stamina is too low.

ok the soldier might have a 20kg backpack , but the best french/worldwilde units can run one hour with a backpack like this and a gun. (true..)

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Mort brings a good point. Rav1 was a good halfway point between vanilla and Rav2. I think some aspects of RAV2 went too far as well. Rav1 took care of the most annoying features in vanilla, and if rav1 was coupled with all the other goodies like dtad/repart direction/gps it would be perfect.

The poll shows a decent amount of vanilla players. The majority is RA, but it's not like 90%. I wouldn't go as far as to call it the RA forums. I like the fact that C22, a vanilla clan, has decided to hang out in the forums. You guys have added a lot to it. So tell those other wussies to get their vanilla asses in here too;)

Nitchell

Aug 15, 2002
holland
i think there are quite some vanilla infers browsing this forums...

but most of them just dont bother to post..

ontopic: i also like vanilla inf more.. just because of the fast action...i dont want to spend houres on 1 map..
on the otherhand... normal 2.86 gets boring after a few maps...so rav2 is a nice challenge.
i've played some rav2 some time back. and i must say i liked the attitude on rav2 servers more..

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
C22-Mort said:
That wasn't the only thing I disliked, and I do see your point BUT look at what they regularly do in training in the REAL armies, I still find it a little unrealistic, I don't doubt that it give the game the balance you need but I found it not to my tastes.

RAv1 seemed to be quite good for me but all anybody ever seemed to do on the servers is camp and exploit the leanbug :(
I don't recall RAv2 being any more restrictive in regaurds to stamina than RAv1 other than the jogging-while-aimed stamina rate.

"Camping" is merely a result of the horrid TDM gametype. I have tried to make the RA mutators and alternative gametypes go hand-in-hand.

Lean and p90 surpressor bugs are "fixed" standard in RAv2 as of quite some time.

[C22]-SpOOky

Inf Old-Timer
Oct 22, 2002
England
spooky.c-22.org
Personaly i think the weapon bob in rav2 is to extream .. i belive most armys train their troops how to fire a weapon . and thus imo hiting a target should not be such hard work . :eek:
Having said that ive never fired a real gun so i would not know that for sure

Re Stamina .. ok sprinting is out But jogging speed i think is too slow and even walking speed is too slow .. i can walk at a pretty fast pace even if ive just sprinted ;)

The problem with slow movment and extream weapon bob is it means the best way to play is to prone somewere and wait for those brave enough to move to come to you . That might be more realistic but it aint much fun
And while i know infiltration is based on realism its also a game and needs to retain some fun .. realism is not just about how things look but also how things feel ..Do u actually feel like your in the map doing your thing or are u sat at your desK waiting for somthing to happen on your screen

The inf engine is limited i know But we cant climb on boxes or over low walls

Btw .. irl i imagine an assulting team would not assult fully equiped .. knowing they have an objective surely they would not try to assult the enemy on a dangerouse mission with a full pack on ?
would'nt it make more sence to leave your pack behind while taking part in the mission ?

Bunny Hopping always sux :mad:

Last edited:

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
Actually with RAv2 I think its easy. Too easy with pistols. Different view I quess.

Too bad you haven't seen some of the running gun fights on Sicily, Kosovo (sp?) and such. You need to be able to move fast, and aim straight which can be done.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
[C22]-SpOOky said:
Re Stamina .. ok sprinting is out But jogging speed i think is too slow and even walking speed is too slow .. i can walk at a pretty fast pace even if ive just sprinted ;)
That's the difference in philosophies right there.

Walking is slower because it's better that way - more control, more caution, better stealth and better weapon control. We aren't walking if we want to get somewhere fast.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
The leanbug was fairly annoying back in the day but I think we all more or less agreed not to use it.

DTAS (Dynamic Take And Secure) IMHO eliminated the camping by giving you timed objectives to achieve - much like in America's Army or whatever. It randomises the spawns, but it also spawns a flag with one of the teams. The other team then has to get two blokes to the flag for a certain amount of time (to prove that the flag was "Secure"). One team defends, the other attacks. No camping.

I can understand the complaints about the leanbug and the loooooooooong rounds if you hopped onto a server back when it was Random Team Spawns with big circular maps. That was ages ago though.

I must say I am quite amused to see realism complaints about RaV2 from 2.86 players. Last time I dropped onto a vanilla server a lot of people seemed to be sprinting at the other team firing on full auto with one of their three primary weapons :D

That was the kind of play that convinced me to give realaim a go, if memory serves. I was on 56.6 and my connection couldn't keep up with how fast everyone moved. I'd die then hear a sonic boom and a load of P90 fire.

Last edited: