What is your game?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which INF do you prefer? (excluding INF 2.9)

• INF 2.86 all by it's vanilla self. Yummers.

Votes: 39 36.1%
  • RAV2 with compass/dtas/etc

Votes: 55 50.9%
  • RA2.86 with compass/dtas/etc

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Something else (previous version, etc)

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
I suspect KW plays it for the same reason I do. We can MAKE the game the way we want it and we have a group of people who have a similar interest in game play.

I won't comment on a game I have not seen yet but I will say that the community is divided already and will stay divided. The number of mutators that come with 2.9 will allow us to make a game we want to play by weapon restrictions and such. Also if, and thats a big IF, there is something someone doesn't like someone will change it. Just look at everything that is available for 2.86.

SS is going to produce something that I am sure will be great but there is no way in hell that they can make a game that every single person who downloads it will sit there and say "this is perfect." Everything about 2.9 so far says I will love it but I will not hesitate to try or play a mutator that someone creates to make it more the way they like it. just because its not 2.9.

I play RAv2. I play RA286. I had a blast playing last night with a group of regulars and one new guy that showed up. Despite the fact that he did not have his binds set, wasn't sure what everything was he had fun. I know he did because he not only said so but because he kept coming back for more despite not having the RA fix setup and crashing at map changes.

RA286 is a change of a popular mutator that a couple of people made to make it the way they want. What is wrong with that?

Edit: I would like to mention that last night there were some terrific running gun battles. Dodging, running for cover, nading. Great fun.

Last edited:

[C22]-SpOOky

Inf Old-Timer
Oct 22, 2002
England
spooky.c-22.org
Let me say it one more time

I didnt say anyone should not make / play mutators

I just Expressed my opinion about planning them Before 2.9 is even released
And i made sure i said IMO

So it was clear it was Me expressing My opinion, so there is no need to Explain anything to me Or ask me why people should not make / play Rav2
I didnt say they should not :stick:

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
I was answering your question concerning
If u think so little of infiltration Why do you play it ?
I was also sort backing up what C22-Mort said.

I do agree discussing what changes to make is rather silly right now without knowing the game play. There are 1 or 2 I believe that have looked at the game and knowing the community they play with may have already decided BUT not a single one of them has suggest changes in public.

So regarding this I do agree with you.

The part I disagree with you about is the split. Its there and will remain. There are people her that have a different view of what is fun in Iniltration. I have no problem with how other people play as long as they are having fun. I just won't play on those servers and I don't expect you to join us on our servers if you don't think you will have fun.

As I said before with the ingame mutators already created we will be able to custimize the game the way we want. It is obvious that SS has taken into account that people play differently.

Last edited:

[C22]-Dragoon

Catch-22 Clan leader
Nov 12, 2003
Finland
www.c-22.org
Hmm after writing 45mins a reply into this thread and then forum software going bonkers on me, I just say it short :).

Yes I voted vanilla, I have tried both RAv1 and v2 and actually liked earlier versions of RAv2 but then it went a bit too far imo. It feels too much like controlling a Mechwarrior instead of a human ;). I havent tried the most recent versions of v2 nor the ra286, maybe I'll do that some night before its too late ;). I'm all up for the added game modes and all the random team etc. I also don't mind playing slower paced game and atleast in a match RAv1 was quite much fun. And yes I hate all the people who exploit bugs, I hate the sniper shotgun, I hate the CS attitude some people ring to the community but its still lots of fun. I dont really see any problem with bunny hoppers because even in vanilla you do have limited stamina and if you want to move like a tank rest of the round, then so be it, be a easy target if you want ;). I personally enjoy shooting a bunnyhopping enemy as it makes it a cool kill :p (well more silly than cool but anyway).

I would really like to see one huge community with only one game, 2.9. But apparently you v2 guys have already decided to have your own small community :(. Well atleast we can have fun with the v1 folk. Njäh njäh! :p

Ohwell better stop here before I spend again 45 mins writing a post ;).

[offtopic]
About people not posting or reading these forums, I think the only thing that can be done is done by "us" as a community. I haven't posted in these forums for a long time only due to the silly bashing and sticking onto silly things like other people's spelling.

Keep it friendly and they will come ;)
[/offtopic]

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
First off I am not attacking anyone with this.
But apparently you v2 guys have already decided to have your own small community .
It really has nothing to do with having our own community. What it has to so with is how we enjoy playing this wonderful game. Why on earth would we play a game that we don't enjoy. Thats why a "community" has sprung up. It is not about the mutators. Its about the kind of game we play. There are some who play on all the servers at some point. Great.

I won't play on certain servers because I don't enjoy the game that is played there. Its not about the people because I don't know anyone on those servers unless they post here. I know that that you probably have the same varity of people. Great, fun, *******s etc. We have the same.

Edit: Change wanting to having because it is more accurate. Spelling.

Last edited:

[sixpack]Gecko

Packer for Life
Just wondering, but ... why isn't there the option "Playing everything" because I used to play on the server that was crowded and/or where the people I like were.

And, by the way, I would play again, but I'm stiLL searching that certain UT CD ...

Considering your discussion it is pretty senseless to kind of argue about what wiLL happen when you haven't even played 2.9. I guess the included mutators wiLL aLLow a more different gameplay on each server without causing the minor and major problems that came along with RA and others. You can play what you want and it wiLL stiLL be 2.9, where you cannot say that RAv2 is stiLL 286.

So now I contributed something senseless, too. Couldn't resist. ;)

Last edited:

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
keihaswarrior said:
The reason why many of the INF players are already looking forward to RAv3 is because 2.86 gameplay was so incredibly horrible. Frankly, I think many of us are skeptical that 2.9 will actually be all that realistic and not just "2.86 with a couple features added."

When I try to play 2.86, I get a knot in my stomach that makes me want to vomit. It is that bad. ---------After experiencing that, it is hard to believe that the same team that coded 2.86, is going to produce a game that plays realistically.

I know I am being cynical, and I really hope RAv3 won't be necessary, but it is hard to believe that we won't need it.

Yurch said it, and i'll confirm it : 2.9 is much, much more than a mere "2.86 with some feature added". It doesn't play the same at all and is far closer to rav2 than 2.86, without some of the most extreme rav2 features (the hard aiming that many people here dislike springs to mind).

Maybe that, after a while, people will get bored and want a mutator, but honestly, from what i've played of 2.9, it will take a much longer time than it took with 2.86. Trust me, they just can't be compared.

Another point to take in account is EAS. While TDM made it that most 2.86 maps played the same, EAS has imo the potential to ake the experience on different maps really different. Don't take me weong, a bland EAS map will play like all other bland EAS maps, but a map that makes full use of it can be "different" enough to offer something that other maps won't.

All of this to say that, not only is 2.9 leagues above 2.86 in terms of quality and polish, its gameplay is also vastly superior, and its lifespan should be much longer.

popojan

Nov 18, 2003
Prague, CZ
czech-ware.net
I am quite new to INF. I first d/l and tried it several weeks ago (such a silly thing, when 2.9 is awaited;) and got used to RAv2. Then I tried RA286 - it contains some good ideas indeed (e.g. patching), but overally I prefere RAv2. Never tried Vanilla but understood it's more rushed, isn't it, so I would not like it... I guess my opinion is of no use, as I experienced only botmatch and 2 players' LAN game, still I am convinced I would choose RAv2 server for an online match. (Or maybe INF 2.9 ?! I hope so.)

PS: Once in the pass I connected to a UT server, and, you know, everyone was jumping :-D

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
popojan if you get a chance take a look online. RA is very slow at the moment but we do try to get on. Had a blast last night. The RA servers are cleary marked in the name.

D.M<P>

Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
Well it think its vanilla 2.86 all the way its the only one i like :D

Its true there is more players on 2.86 to any other mod of inf what does that tell you? :D

And i have played rav2 and the others i would probably like them if they wasnt so f****ed up in the first place. All they had to do was take out the sprint and it would have stopped all the rushing if thats what ya wanted.:p

But no they went and F***ed them up by messing with the scopes for the sniper rifles and as im a sniper thats why i hate it so much.

Plus i dont think i would leave normal inf as there is alot of good ppl there

So it vanilla 2.86 all the way:D stupid RAv2 :(

Last edited:

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Its true there is more players on 2.86 to any other mod of inf what does that tell you?
It's also true that there are more people playing CS than any other game, what does that tell you?

But no they went and F***ed them up by messing with the scopes for the sniper rifles and as im a sniper thats why i hate it so much.
Like it or not, sniping isn't meant to be easy. And just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's stupid. Try and see it from our point of view.

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
I do a lot of sniping in RA. Its damn easy. Some would argue too easy.

Its all not about the rushing. Have you even bothered to look at the list of changes?

There are many good people playing vanilla. You might want to try being one of them.