What about the mappers?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[DF]phalanx

bgutblower=true
Aug 15, 2002
manchester uk
Visit site
u cant
the only way for it to work (maybe) is to access the author part of level info
therefore u dont stand a chance :p
and why the hell would i take MECHIII which is crap and make it crapper by shrinking it :p
nothin like that will ever be made (by me)

[GDC]Faust

Goblin Hunter
Apr 29, 2004
www.gamersdungeon.de
flack ho said:
u cant
and why the hell would i take MECHIII which is crap and make it crapper by shrinking it :p

People won't stop saying those mean things to you until you've made a real kicka$$-map.

So start making a real kicka$$-map! I have faith in you! :)

T-Shinzon

Sep 28, 2004
For some reason I don't like how FMI has "tournament-ized" U2XMP.

The new emitter effects, the new maps that use UT2K4 textures, etc.

Some emitter effects are nice, but some just seem...off.

And some maps look far too much like UT2004, which I don't like for some odd, brainwashed reason that I don't remember.

Of course, I don't know anything since I haven't played it yet.

I'm just hoping it isn't just a big let-down like Unreal 2 SP was.

It's like making a LOTR movie: It is a tremendous task, and may corrupt the visions of the readers / players in this case. Of course, the LOTR movies came out as a huge success, which is probably a good omen in this case for UTXMP.

All this relates to my mapping because I want to map for a game it is WORTH mapping for.

It's strange, but the only reason I play games is to create custom content for it and thus fulfil my internal desires for places where I cannot be and things that cannot be...

Weird, huh?

I won't praise FMI until I see the finished product. :)

::EDIT::

And Phalanx, don't kill UTXMP by making maps for it! j/k :lol:

I have a tip: be neat in your BSP work. Most of your maps have serious BSP-related holes/errors and misalignment.

:2thumb:

Last edited:

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
I haven't forgotten how to use UEd. :con: But then again I've also determined that everything I made in the past was garbage. Hmmm....

Phalanx maps = :tdown: if they're the same as artidozen. XMP is about strategy and cunning; not mindless destruction. Give players purpose to transverse your map; don't leave em in the open.

As for the difference in U2XMP vs. UTXMP, I think it's all in the textures. The colors were more rich in U2 than what they are in UT.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
Shinzon...obviously UTXMP is going to have the feel of UT2k4 to a point. Its true, the 2k4 emitters arent as pretty, powerful, or as useful as the Unreal2 particle system, but converting that over just isn't going to happen.

As far as using 2k4 textures...well...yeah... You want every custom map to be a 50MB download and simply reuse the same textures you already have from the last 50MB map? As I recall, part of the complaint for mapping for U2:XMP was the lack of textures and meshes that came with the game...hence why a LOT of the custom maps "feel" the same. With the resources 2k4 has to offer, there are so many possibilites for completely new and original maps.

Trust me, XMP is XMP. Once released, don't dwell too much on the tiny things that may be slightly different (Thats what the beta testers are for), but enjoy the game for what it is...a great game.

Gumby

Pretty in Pink!
Feb 29, 2004
A long long way from home...
flack ho said:
u cant

A link for you here ;)

[DF]phalanx

bgutblower=true
Aug 15, 2002
manchester uk
Visit site
:/
i can't be arsed with form help unless its specific
i go to the wiki but i know a fair bit already

the problem with mapping with XMP is the lack of textures, its hard to find a decent set that match for indoor areas tthat dont make the level look like concrete or dark, i cant wait and with the UT2004 particle editor decent map effects can be included, with all the texture and static mesh pacages too, differant themes can come out, and i personaly can't wait to see what scenery appears in XMP, so far i have seen alot of cool things in UT2004 cartoon maps, cave maps, castle maps, villages, deserts, forests and lots of others.
nor rather then ranting and thinking what mappers will come up with, maybe with all this extra content things might be better

[GDC]Faust

Goblin Hunter
Apr 29, 2004
www.gamersdungeon.de
flack ho said:
:/
i can't be arsed with form help unless its specific
i go to the wiki but i know a fair bit already

the problem with mapping with XMP is the lack of textures, its hard to find a decent set that match for indoor areas tthat dont make the level look like concrete or dark, i cant wait and with the UT2004 particle editor decent map effects can be included, with all the texture and static mesh pacages too, differant themes can come out, and i personaly can't wait to see what scenery appears in XMP, so far i have seen alot of cool things in UT2004 cartoon maps, cave maps, castle maps, villages, deserts, forests and lots of others.
nor rather then ranting and thinking what mappers will come up with, maybe with all this extra content things might be better

I have to disagree here... the average UTXMP-custom-map won't have the custom layout you are talking about. Just look at the custommaps of UT! 80% of them are Egypt/Gothic/industrial layouts and the rest goes with OWN custom content. All you'll get from the custom packs of UT2004 is that we all have to download CBP1/2 , ECE, etc just because you put one texture or SM of them in your map.

And speaking of original content: There were XMP-Maps with own textures and unique layouts:

quietshrine, this room-map with the big bed and stuff, bantinh.

You get the diversity in maps from the diversity of mappers, not if you put 12GB-packages in it!

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
Thats only partly true, Faust. A -LOT- of the original XMP meshes and textures were used over and over again simply because they were readily available. Ideally, we'd all be able to dream up a map in our head, create all the textures and static meshes ourselves for a truely unique map. But since the skill level varies drastically, people who are lacking in one area will simply use what they have available. Not saying that new content won't be created (check the Valley of the Apes promo shot).

I hated mapping for U2XMP because I was lacking in the mesh and texture creating area, so I simply used what was available. Granted things can be lighted differently or any of numerous tweaks to make it look different, but with all the resources available with UT2004, I'm sure you'll be suprised at some of the different maps that are released. (I know I am so far).

*edit: It also has a lot to do with each individual mapper. Because DM maps are so easy to make, you get a lot of people with no talent or creativity just throwing things together without much thought. So I SHOULD say, in the right hands, all these resources are going to allow for all sorts of new, fresh maps.

Last edited:

Reeps

Severe thumbs up (y)
Sep 2, 2003
WI
Visit site
[GDC]Faust said:
You get the diversity in maps from the diversity of mappers, not if you put 12GB-packages in it!
That is a pretty interesting quote, and I mostly agree with it. Though, when utxmp is first released, and if maps are created for it, they will explore many new things in the tex/mesh/sound packages and what not - though nothing new overall. (ut2004 stock maps for instance) I think that a lot of cool stuff will be made, but for me, the coolest stuff is seeing how people use what they have in interested ways, along with new custom content.

Some will disagree and say visuals don't really mean anything, and it's all about the gameplay :D

BTW, Faust, is your name taken from the band? (or just fist) :p

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
[GDC]Faust said:

:tup: I hate making things that someone else has already made. I know I'm personally not content making something similar to another map.

PRG

XMP Beta Tester
Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
Jaspeer said:
That is a pretty interesting quote, and I mostly agree with it. Though, when utxmp is first released, and if maps are created for it, they will explore many new things in the tex/mesh/sound packages and what not - though nothing new overall. (ut2004 stock maps for instance) I think that a lot of cool stuff will be made, but for me, the coolest stuff is seeing how people use what they have in interested ways, along with new custom content.

Some will disagree and say visuals don't really mean anything, and it's all about the gameplay :D

BTW, Faust, is your name taken from the band? (or just fist) :p

Hell yeah, on your bandwagon with this one. It's more like building on a base of knowledge or material. Think about art/invention or physics: maybe Copernicus or DaVinci. Much of the modern world is based on what they came up with first..

It's up to mappers to be creative and CHALLENGE themselves, which should not be a hard task considering the wealth of content and/or tutorials for creating more content. Considering the info that's out there and easily accesible(not to mention usually organized,) a really good mapper could acquire the info and do the work to outdo Legend or Epic in a year. FMI, though they have definite previous experience, is a case in point (Assuming one considers the whole package of "Unreal technology.")

T-Shinzon

Sep 28, 2004
Now if a map was a 12 Gb download, what would be in it? Can you even fit that much crap in the engine limitations? lol, it's not possible. Largest map file I've seen was something like 87 Mb and it ran fairly decently, too! Largest map I've ever seen was 49 miles squared of unique desert terrain made by me, but for obvious reasons I didn't release it. A map that huge would be cool if it was something like 4 by 0.25 miles for a progressive battle type thing. Maybe a narrow slot canyon or something.

Custom content really does enhance maps, like for instance XMP-ValleyoftheDead. The map itself is...lacking. But the custom vehicles spice it up quite a bit. I AM glad that FMI is converting XMP over to 2K4, just hope it doesn't come with all the lamers, hackers, aimbotters, cheaters, etc. XMP had less 'cause it had, well, less players. I guess it's inevitable. Anyway, with 2K4 I can create all kinds of stuff like static meshes, vehicles, etc. so it should be interesting. I can't wait to make a mech with swingarm turret-like arms and a head-mounted carnival turret without the up/down ability. :D

That would change XMP massively for that level, but I'm sure some people would appreciate the change.