Weapon Balance Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Aethelgrin

Now playing, EVE Online. Do not disturb.
Apr 6, 2004
France
www.high-on-coffee.org
No, Gas nades are not overpowered. And their effective radius is very limited actually. Instead of toning down Gas perhaps you could make them sprinkle gas continuously. And then even give it larger radius and make it last longer. I guess if it doesn't blow up at once it would sort of give a chance to the prey and allow for less whining and wailing.
Same goes for the Ranger's smoke screen by the way...
I've been kicked from random servers for "overabusing" gas on my ennemies and one time got banned too. But fact is, Gas is only highly effective for clearing out the path or slowing down things a bit. Their kill factor is overestimated. Much...
In the same vein, I find myself better off with Rocket turrets than Auto ones. Placed on a lofty spot they get the job done. It just takes the sense to understand that they need to be laid a bit over the ground actually, so they can benefit from the additional splash damage.
Shotgun is indeed a tad overpowered in my opinion. The fact that most of the techs actually make them their favorite's over the rifle speaks for itself.
Forcewalls are way too flimsy. While it takes 5 minutes to build up a proper pen, one ranger barges in and turns it to dust in seconds.

The Gunner's sticky mud definitely needs to last longer. Much longer. Actually it should last untill someone sweeps their feet off on it, much like mines in a way.
Other than that I'm not suite comfortable with the Flamethrower. It sorts of singles out among the rest of the weapons. While it gets the job done in tight corridors (and there are few) Incendiary grenades are more effective at this little game. I'd give it a slightly longer range to make up for the gunner sluggishness. And it would really plays its role of deterrent against unwary Rangers and particularly reckless techs...

As for the Ranger, my favorite class above all... Well, in facts there are only two weapons I don't really get to use: Shocklance's primary fire and Pistol's alternative fire. The first just doesn't fit. This is always a bit of a haphazard to hit a moving target with it, and those blue things it sents forth look quite disappointing. Now, like every other weapon it was first implemented in Unreal II so maybe replacing it with the Energy pistol which hasn't found its way up to U2XMP in the end (self-recharging pistol equipped by default from the beginning in U2)? If I remember well, Primary fire was not quite fast and not quite harmfull either; while holding down Alternative fire would charge up the battery and in the end it would release a sheer mass of energy sluggishly trudging its way straight forward.
unreal2_screen_18.jpg

I'm not sure whether vehicles need a bit of tweaking or not, but they sure as hell tend to act strangely at times. Bumping off a clod shouldn't halves the raptor's shields down, and their acceleration is non-existant. I had the feeling I was driving cars from GTA III. Within two seconds you were at top speed, geez what a thrill.

Last edited by a moderator:

.pot.OptimusPrime

Philosopher stoned
Nov 1, 2004
Finland
CardinalDancer said:
No, Gas nades are not overpowered. And their effective radius is very limited actually. Instead of toning down Gas perhaps you could make them sprinkle gas continuously. And then even give it larger radius and make it last longer. I guess if it doesn't blow up at once it would sort of give a chance to the prey and allow for less whining and wailing.
I've been kicked from random servers for "overabusing" gas on my ennemies and one time got banned too. But fact is, Gas is only highly effective for clearing out the path or slowing down things a bit. Their kill factor is overestimated. Much...

Curious enough, while everything is so futuristic why haven´t these scifi-soldiers ever heard of gas masks. In WW1 armies had no problems with preventing battle gas from dealing lethal damage. "Now" in year whatever these hitech bastards die in gas in few secs. It´s plain stupid, once again: gas is a deployable, not a weapon. Gas could be thrown in trash bin right now if tech only had precise and more effective assault rifle.

NRK

Nercury
Apr 20, 2004
Lithuania
CardinalDancer said:
In the same vein, I find myself better off with Rocket turrets than Auto ones. Placed on a lofty spot they get the job done. It just takes the sense to understand that they need to be laid a bit over the ground actually, so they can benefit from the additional splash damage.

OMG OMG SPAMMER :lol:

j/k :D

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
This is again all personal preference based on PLAY STYLE. A gunner who is a very good mover can dodge snipers pretty easily. A gunner who uses the terrain to his advantage can dodge snipers pretty easily. A sniper who is an excellent mover and has expertise in the use of the pistol can take down a gunner even in extremely tight circumstances pretty easily. Skill and play styles, habits, and circumstances of maps and terrain have absolutely nothing to do with weapon/class balance.

Make arguments not based around X class versus Y class. That's useless. Come on now this thread has been around for months and you people are still stuck on 4th grade debate material.

Magwa

Sep 28, 2004
[BBF]Mantik said:
This is again all personal preference based on PLAY STYLE. A gunner who is a very good mover can dodge snipers pretty easily. A gunner who uses the terrain to his advantage can dodge snipers pretty easily. A sniper who is an excellent mover and has expertise in the use of the pistol can take down a gunner even in extremely tight circumstances pretty easily. Skill and play styles, habits, and circumstances of maps and terrain have absolutely nothing to do with weapon/class balance.

Make arguments not based around X class versus Y class. That's useless. Come on now this thread has been around for months and you people are still stuck on 4th grade debate material.

i have to agree with mantik on this but also take into accout ping times it has a huge impact on what class you should play if you do not have a good ping then the pistol or rifle if you are a ranger is pretty usleless against a gunner with rockets with a good ping....

heavy_wargod

destructive poppets!!
Nov 25, 2004
the lasertripmines are easely to see so for the enemy, maybe make that laser invisible for the enemy? and the other class that maybe joins, that one could restore a car (not so good idea but its an idea). the rockets should lock faster and unlocked it should be very little guided(VERY LITTLE!)becouse they are not used in the game(u2xmp). the goalsearching rockets should be a little faster and maybe thingsavoiding(a mountain in its way and goes around it)? so once locked, always locked? that would be funny... the ranger should get a powerdown becouse almost everybody plays in u2xmp as a ranger so that proves that there is some unbalacement.

Last edited:

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
Magwa said:
i have to agree with mantik on this but also take into accout ping times it has a huge impact on what class you should play if you do not have a good ping then the pistol or rifle if you are a ranger is pretty usleless against a gunner with rockets with a good ping....

It takes 3-5 shots to figure out what sort of compensation and leading times you need to use with hitscan weapons to make them effective at high pings and low pings. Granted, at higher pings it revolves more around a lead and hopes that the player will continue in whatever direction you had anticipated, so a bouncy player is > you regardless of class. Weapon and class balance shouldn't revolve around ping anyways. It's not a static argument as ping times and latency changes from second to second. It's not a game developers job to compensate for a player's high ping. That's the player's job ;P

Magwa

Sep 28, 2004
[BBF]Mantik said:
It takes 3-5 shots to figure out what sort of compensation and leading times you need to use with hitscan weapons to make them effective at high pings and low pings. Granted, at higher pings it revolves more around a lead and hopes that the player will continue in whatever direction you had anticipated, so a bouncy player is > you regardless of class. Weapon and class balance shouldn't revolve around ping anyways. It's not a static argument as ping times and latency changes from second to second. It's not a game developers job to compensate for a player's high ping. That's the player's job ;P

I agree it is not the game developers problem but Ping time is the single biggest factor that sererates great players from also rans two rangers one with a 140 ping the other a 40 ping no contest,and so it goes when you join a server and you have a 140 or higher ping and you are playing aginst low ping bastards it is not the same game ....all you kiddies playing on your dads connection and living next to a server and playing with a 40 ping remember everyone is not as fortunate as you ..you are indeed lucky .Also matters alot where you live Not alot of servers out west but alot back east, and peeps back east ping better to them ....

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
Understandable, but that's not something for the game to dictate, really.. as unfortunate as it is. 'Sides, us American's had nothing but the Jolt league to compete in really.. and we seemed to do just fine. Basically.. it's all relative to skill+ping.. one can outweigh the other. Just can't see how it effects the way the guns balance out, as it mainly pertains to individual play.