UT3 WAR-Araja][ Released! [PC] [Download&Screens]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Feedback time!

Hi minifloppy.

Nice effort. I can tell you have spend effort making this, and the Unreal 1 sounds did a good job with the atmosphere, like those frog sounds for the swamp feel.

Visually:

I think there should be a little more contrast between shadows and the sun light. The sun light color it self is great, I imagine making it a little more orange would not work too well, it seemed to be a nice balance between yellow and orange. I'd also see rays coming from those cliffs, it would create a nice touch to your whole atmosphere. but yeah, overall I'd sightly reduce the sky light, and play with the PP settings to get a little more contrast. :)

Grass and vegetation:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2820/araja02.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

This shot demonstrates what cold be ameliorated or just be removed. The grass itself for example, has some alpha issues, It's not because of the blue beam, it also happen when you walk by the map when grass is rendered over it. I am not sure how you could fix it, but I'd suggest you also try get the grass a little darker, it is a little to bright for the terrain's grass material.

As for those tall forest trees, I'd really consider removing them, for one, they just don't do it for me and kinda ruin those nice palm trees around the place, and second, the lighting on them its really nonsense, I guess you could fix that with playing around the material if you wish to keep them around. That's what i did with SilverPoint when I figured the speedtrees were looking better than just the other regular retail tree meshes.

Layout and Gameplay:

Again, just me and some AI, one game. So I can not be the perfect example here. But trust me, I really like non-linear warfare layouts. They're giving more opportunities than those 1-prime-to-core layouts. It's not that I have a problem with it though, I just tend to prefer non-linear ones. So thumbs up for that, nice minimap to BTW.

I liked the way you put extra link gun ammo link around, it's official that you hardly run out, but the weapon lockers are there to solve the issue as well. S I'd say 2 is a little too much for each nodes I've encountered with. There seem to be a lack of health packs as well? I ran over a Keg of health, but no medium pack IIRC.

No concerns with the number of vehicle or usage so far... no signs of Nemesis or DarkWalker, which is good considering the scale and layout. A Nemesis would be ****ing annoying on there.

Seems like people really don't like the scavenger though.. :( :p

Perfomance:

Good, but like almost every other WAR map, it downs to 45 FPS when I am in the corner of the entire map looking at the middle, or when there's action around. But I see you used a respective culldistance on some objects, like the grass specifically. I don't know about the rest, maybe there is more optimization to be done.

To me, it's nearly as if the UE3 doesn't support Warfare scaled levels, or we need to learn about level streaming? :confused:

Nice job on your level.

minifloppy

Jan 14, 2009
Thanks Kantham for playing it. Well, you didn't play it before, but you have now lol :D

I think that I'll leave the visuals as they are as I want to move to something new. After all this was my first true map for UT3, so I'm pretty happy with the result. :)
I'll release a Second Edition of the map in the next few days, but it will contain only bug fixes.

I think there should be a little more contrast between shadows and the sun light. The sun light color it self is great, I imagine making it a little more orange would not work too well, it seemed to be a nice balance between yellow and orange. I'd also see rays coming from those cliffs, it would create a nice touch to your whole atmosphere. but yeah, overall I'd sightly reduce the sky light, and play with the PP settings to get a little more contrast.

Good contrast between light and shadows was very difficult to achieve because of the distance fog that washes out a lot of color, especially on surfaces lit by sun light. I'll keep your suggestions in mind for my next map though. ;)

This shot demonstrates what cold be ameliorated or just be removed. The grass itself for example, has some alpha issues, It's not because of the blue beam, it also happen when you walk by the map when grass is rendered over it. I am not sure how you could fix it, but I'd suggest you also try get the grass a little darker, it is a little to bright for the terrain's grass material.

That's weird. I never noticed it. I'll try to fix it in the SE release.

As for those tall forest trees, I'd really consider removing them, for one, they just don't do it for me and kinda ruin those nice palm trees around the place, and second, the lighting on them its really nonsense, I guess you could fix that with playing around the material if you wish to keep them around. That's what i did with SilverPoint when I figured the speedtrees were looking better than just the other regular retail tree meshes.

At first I wasn't sure whether to keep the trees or not, but I think they fill a lot of space that would have remained empty otherwise. If you don't mind I'll take a look at SilverPoint to see how you solved the lighting issue.

No concerns with the number of vehicle or usage so far... no signs of Nemesis or DarkWalker, which is good considering the scale and layout. A Nemesis would be ****ing annoying on there.

Seems like people really don't like the scavenger though..

Tbh I never really liked Necris vehicles :D But apart from that I decided to keep the same vehicle line up of ONS-Araja. I only added a stealth bender to mix things up a little bit. :D

Good, but like almost every other WAR map, it downs to 45 FPS when I am in the corner of the entire map looking at the middle, or when there's action around. But I see you used a respective culldistance on some objects, like the grass specifically. I don't know about the rest, maybe there is more optimization to be done.

To me, it's nearly as if the UE3 doesn't support Warfare scaled levels, or we need to learn about level streaming?

Optimization was a problem as the map is quite open in some areas. I have a pretty aggressive culldistance volume that hides a lot of objects though.. As I said before vegation is the killing thing here.

Thanks for your comments! :)

[VaLkyR]Anubis

Foregone Destruction
Jan 20, 2008
Gaia
www.youtube.com
I finally was able to play your map and it is my order to say that this map is really well done. In UT2004 I played this map like hell, because on one side I love the Nali design and on the other side I love very natural maps and this map combines both in a excellent way. When I was the first time in this map, I took some time just to get to know the environment and to know what changes & improvements have been made. After some minutes I already was impressed by the things I have seen. The UT3 version of Araja gives the player really a great impression and feeling of the Nali cult and a very nice feeling of gaming. Gameplay is good, similar like in UT2004 version and it makes a lot of fun to play your map. To come to the end, I think you really did on this one and I hope to see more maps like this one by you. :):tup:

minifloppy

Jan 14, 2009
I've released a Second Edition of the map with the following changes:

• fixed blue team not getting the orb
  • fixed central bridge collision error
  • fixed collisions near the core, no more camping problems
  • fixed missing killing volume in a canyon near the blue base
  • fixed problem with folder structure zip package, you're now able to extract the map to your UTGame folder

Also, I've tried to tweak the grass a little bit, but the result is not very different from the original version... :rolleyes:

Anyway, you can find the download link in the first post.

Thanks to all the people who played the original version and reported bugs. :)

[VaLkyR]Anubis;2298939 said:
I finally was able to play your map and it is my order to say that this map is really well done. In UT2004 I played this map like hell, because on one side I love the Nali design and on the other side I love very natural maps and this map combines both in a excellent way. When I was the first time in this map, I took some time just to get to know the environment and to know what changes & improvements have been made. After some minutes I already was impressed by the things I have seen. The UT3 version of Araja gives the player really a great impression and feeling of the Nali cult and a very nice feeling of gaming. Gameplay is good, similar like in UT2004 version and it makes a lot of fun to play your map. To come to the end, I think you really did on this one and I hope to see more maps like this one by you. :):tup:

Glad you finally had a chance to play it! Thanks for the nice comments! :)
I'm already working on a new map, stay tuned! :D

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
-There is no screenshot on the menu.
-Cicada missiles blow up when fired at maximum altitude.

Other than that, we can finally go under the bridge :D

minifloppy

Jan 14, 2009
-There is no screenshot on the menu.
-Cicada missiles blow up when fired at maximum altitude.

Other than that, we can finally go under the bridge :D

LOL It seems bugs never end on this one!

I forgot to update the screenshot in the INI file, it tries to pick it up from the original map version. I had it installed as well and I didn't notice the problem. Will fix it.

I haven't touched the volume in the sky, so I think this problem has always been there.. I don't want to upload another version of the map file to not break compatibility with the actual SE release.. So, as this is a minor problem I think I'll only update the ini file just to fix the screenshot error.

Thanks for playing it again! :) You're really good at catching bugs (maybe even too much good lol :p :D)!

EDIT: just uploaded a new version of the zip package, with fixed map screenshot.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I usually don't download too many custom WAR maps, but I liked this one and I remember the ONS version from UT2004. This one has great atmosphere, great detail, good gameplay and good music with hidden pathways and a wild sky; I only found one hidden pathway, so I need to play it again to find others. It was fun to play and don't fall off the bridges. This one was fun, but not sure what regular and classic versions mean as it looks like the node layout is the same for both.