UT3 VCTF-TrainCrossing[FinalBeta][Pics]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Name:VCTF-TrainCrossing
Version:1.1

Compatibility: Made with Patch 1.3. PS3 version available

Description:
Hey everyone,

Well, it’s been a tough past month and a half, but at long last, my latest map is ready for its final round of Beta-testing.

Given the latest trend of increasing popularity for VCTF over the other game-types, I felt the time was right to implement an ambitious VCTF map design that I had rattling around in my head for the past little while. “Ambitious” turned out to be an understatement as I was so rushed for the MSU phase 2 deadline that I almost didn’t make it :eek:. I’ve taken the past few days here to tidy it up a little bit, and am pretty sure it’s ready for release barring the discovery of any more serious bugs by the good people of BeyondUnreal ;).

actualoverviewvb7.jpg

Visually, I wanted to give the feel of an early morning, day-just-getting-started, kind of atmosphere (which is funny because I’m totally not a morning person). Naturally, similar to my approach with WAR-Beachfront, I tried my best to avoid the blur and haziness that permeates many of the stock UT3 maps. As most players will point out that, while those effects make for good screenshots and trailers, they are not very conducive to gameplay.

cornerPark.jpg

In terms of layout, the map is essentially a small coastal town bisected by a large river. A bridge to the north provides the main method for crossing the river, but it’s definitely not the only way to get across. One of the new concepts I wanted to introduce in this map was the incorporation of Interp actors (i.e. moving meshes) to a larger extent to show what the UE3 engine is truly capable of. Approximately every minute, a river barge takes cargo,( and potentially players) from one side of the river to the other (listen for the loud ship horn and text notification to announce when it is about to depart).

boat.jpg

Also, high-speed trains arrive at the train stations every minute or so (at slightly longer intervals than the barge) and can also be ridden (on the rooftops) from one side of the map to the other. While the trains are much faster for getting across the map, being on the rooftop leaves you much more exposed to enemy fire. As a clever strategy, consider placing the nearby shield generator deployable on the roof of the train render yourself immune to enemy fire (this is a particularly effective strategy if you happen to be carrying the enemy flag! :D). Alternatively, you can ride on the rear windshield (crouched, ideally) to use the train itself as cover and make the Train Crossing in a safe manner. In general, flag carriers here will benefit greatly from clever planning, careful timing, and creative strategizing.

train.jpg

Lastly, swimming across the river (while not particularly fast) is an effective stealthy approach to infiltrate the enemy half of the map. Players who swim to the island in the centre will find an invisibility powerup which will make the second half of the trip (the more dangerous half, naturally) go undetected. Swimming also offers the advantage of the enemy team not knowing where exactly you are going to show up. Finally, even though the manta and Cicada can sail over the water with no difficulty, don’t forget that land vehicles travel just as fast underwater as they do on land, and water damage is minor in UT3. The scorpion in particular, is a fast one-way trip across the water (not that you could use it on the return trip anyways if you’re holding the flag ;)).

zAction.jpg

For building design, I focused on making the area around the flag difficult to camp. Land vehicles are prevented from entering the flag room and the wide array of access points to the flag also make it difficult to guess where the enemy may strike from. The best way to protect the flag is to actually guard the coastline and keep enemy players out of your side of the map in the first place. Long-time VCTF veterans will be pleased to know that the map has an abundant supply of avril ammo (no need to kill yourself just to get a full avril again *cough* Suspense *cough*) The map also has jump boots (2 per team) making for exciting chases across this very multi-layered town with plenty of Z-action.

patioView.jpg

Well, I hope you enjoy the map’s many innovations and intricacies. Like many maps, it may take some time to learn its layout (particularly near the flag) so be sure to spend some time getting to know the lay of the land before going all-out.

Any feedback, positive or negative (but hopefully informative) is appreciated, as are bug reports!

Download:
PC:
http://files.filefront.com/VCTFTrainCrossingzip/;12224604;/fileinfo.html
PS3:
http://files.filefront.com/TrainCrossingPS3zip/;12224981;/fileinfo.html

Last edited:

Revord

Jun 20, 2008
dude, if this is anything close to being as good as beachfront, Im going to wet my pants.

plugh

Nov 11, 2005
Nice work, couple of things...

Some optimising is needed as it runs slow in places.
The sea doesn't reflect the sky, cubemap the water.
The trains need to be dynamically lit, the whole train goes bright/dark as it exits/enters the tunnel. (I had a similar problem in VCTF-OffTheRails, have a look in that if you want to see how I did it).

Good stuff, love the visuals and the layout, can't wait for the finalfinalfinal : )

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I can't say I liked it, especially the boat and trains I'm not a fan of. But I'd be really interested in taking this down to Warfare. Could be awesome.

The level needs desaturation and Haze.

LtClifff

Feb 26, 2008
desaturation and haze... maybe a little. Take a look at crysis and see what you come up with.

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Do you give every release this treatment? Your release posts are so detailed. There is no way someone is going to pass this map up after reading that.

Well, I just want to give a sense of the design process and planning that went into the map;). Sometimes I get a little carried away though. Like for WAR-Beachfront for example, I exceeded the character limit here and had to trim it down a bit :rolleyes:.

dude, if this is anything close to being as good as beachfront, Im going to wet my pants.

Well, it's a totally different gametype than Warfare, but I still took a similar design approach in terms of offering what seems like a very straight forward layout at first, but with a lot of hidden quirks and strategy when you look a bit closer.

That looks awesome :D
I'll check it out.

Thanks! However, looking at VCTF-Defection, I can see that you're going to easily beat me again like you beat WAR-Beachfront with WAR-Valley in phase 1 :lol:. Ah, well, your maps are on a whole different level in terms of professionalism and polish. The really important thing is that the community has new fun maps to play ;)!

I can't say I liked it, especially the boat and trains I'm not a fan of. But I'd be really interested in taking this down to Warfare. Could be awesome.

The level needs desaturation and Haze.

I suspect online play is where the boat and trains will really shine (as human opponents are better capable of strategizing than bots). Coastal areas tend to get a lot of rain, and rain has a tendency to saturate colours a great deal, particularly shortly after dawn (hence my decision to go with saturated colors).

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Nice work, couple of things...

Some optimising is needed as it runs slow in places.
The trains need to be dynamically lit.

Alas, the second issue is a direct result of the first issue. Setting the trains full dynamic lighting results in a significant performance drop (approximately a 10-15% reduction in framerate) :eek:.

As someone with a mid-range GPU (an old 8600M GT, yeah, that's right, I play UT3 on a laptop :eek:) performance drops like these are very noticeable. Performance has been quite the on-going issue with this map. I've tried my best to optimize it over the past few days. Compared to the version I submitted to MSU, I've cut down the static mesh count by 1/3 (through very aggressive use of cullDistance), I've cut the number of terrain triangles down to 1/2 and I dramatically simplified the water shader. All of these techniques together resulted in about a 25% boost in fps. Unfortunately, I've run out of optimization tricks to try, and while I would naturally like it to perform better I don't see how I can do any better without greatly negatively impacting quality :(. In comparing my map to VCTF-Suspense, I see that on average, my static mesh triangle count is much lower, as is my terrain triangle count. Overall, the average fps in my map is close to the average fps in Suspense, and the framerate drops are about the same as in Suspense too. Unfortunately, this seems to be the best I can do... :hmm:

On the bright side, even with my machine (which does not meet the recommended system requirements for UT3) I've found that while framerate drops are common (and unfortunate) the map is still playable even in the worst cases. ;)

As for the water, it does actually have a cubemap, but I suspect that what you're really getting at is that it's too dark stretching out towards the horizon. I'll have to see what I can do about this... (without hurting performance, of course).

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Hey everyone.

Alright, after some more tweaking, I'm ready to call this new version final (you can download it from the updated link). Notable changes include:

-Bots are now able to use the boat to cross the river
-Water colour changed (slight brighter/more reflective)
-desaturating haze added to distant views
-some collision holes fixed.
-some extra meshes removed.
-pathing tweak to try to encourage bots to use bridge more often than swimming.
-PS3 version now available (need someone to test it)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
NNNNnnnnice map! I liked the atmosphere on rocky shore with water, sky, beach, rocks, bridge, boats, trains and music choice; lots going on in this one and there's even a bar/club (I had to hang there for a bit, but the bartender must be taking a leak or something so I left).;) Yes, the map is a bit bright and has some sharp boundaries, but I know it's supposed to look like that and it looks good; not every map has to have a dark Necris theme now does it? Holy crap, those turrets suck and make it very difficult to CTF; it also doesn't seem they do enough damage when I'm using them (my aim's not that bad). I like the deployable energy shield and the bots do still manage to get stuck sometimes and also can ride the boat back to their base without the flag. I tend to be a sitting duck when I swim, but the other modes of travel work well. This one must be really cool online and definitely a keeper.