UWRC-Subway

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

bobnine

JamesG
Jul 18, 2004
New Zealand
One thing before I release the map,there is a strange hall of mirrors effect at the end of my viewfog instead of skybox when in the tunnels,does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
i am good at making them ,

although , this mod sounds good , im gonna dl it and try it out

if i like it , i promise i will map for it ;)

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Kantham said:
i am good at making them ,

although , this mod sounds good , im gonna dl it and try it out

if i like it , i promise i will map for it ;)
Well from the look of the screens from you nalicity page you're quite a competent mapper. I'd love to see a community map pack spring up from the likes of you two.

jerdaygo said:
I am looking forward to trying Subway, any eta on the release?

It will be hailed as the fifth (if you don't count my first two maps for UW - in which case it would be the seventh) community-map ever made for UnWheel (to my knowledge)

Last edited:

bobnine

JamesG
Jul 18, 2004
New Zealand
I will release it soon,although the bots dont work very well(if at all),and I dont see a cause for this weird hall of mirrors effect at the end of my fog,it only happens in the tunnels.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
bobnine said:
I will release it soon,although the bots dont work very well(if at all),and I dont see a cause for this weird hall of mirrors effect at the end of my fog,it only happens in the tunnels.

This is the anser (quoth T-Shinzon):

"Unreal has a build it default maximum render distance for obvious reasons. Basically anything outside of this is not rendered at all, or if there is a skybox, then that replaces the "outside of render area."

To fix this, add distance fog. Make the area where the skybox would connect to the real level have a fogring of the same color as the distance fog. This way, everything transitions all nicely.

In UnrealEd, by default, the sky is not shown and instead the black area used. Hit 'k' after selecting your perspective viewport to toggle the rendering of the skybox on/off. "

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
projectX said:
have a fogring of the same color as the distance fog

yes .....

YES......

a map that have fog with no fog ring ...... or a map whitout no fog @ 5 fps ....

:tdown:

bobnine

JamesG
Jul 18, 2004
New Zealand
I have fog and a skybox,and the skybox matches the fog.

Whats confusing me is that its not showing the skybox at the end of the fog while in the tunnels,as soon as you can see into a zone that is outside the skybox shows fine at the end of the fog.

It seems to only have a problem with showing the skybox at the end of the fog in zones that dont have any fake backdrops in them :confused:

Also, if you have fog and no skybox shouldn't it just fade to a flat colour?

Last edited:

bobnine

JamesG
Jul 18, 2004
New Zealand
I figured it out,if there are no fake backdrop surfaces being renderd the game also doesnt render the skybox,even though the fog needs the skybox to be renderd.I dont kno how to make the skybox continuely renderd even when theres no fake backdrop in sight,so I made it so there is always a fake backdrop in sight by adding a big sheet that can be seen from everywhere(but is invisible because its a fake backdrop.

In short,the problem is fixed.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
yes they are ,

i did a skybox for the CTF map , snow theme , very fun whit fast vehicles , like the mc laren and the viper , but no worry , i love making perilious envoronament , like unsmoted terrain at somme places , lots of rocks ,

so certain vehicles will have good point on for this map

and nico seriously , i have seen lots of your map that need LOTS of work , but , well ....

and again , ARGGG of those ambiant sound , like in this rally 'forest' map ....

Last edited:

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Ah my old "just plop one big ambient sound in'll do em good" approach. Suffice to say that attitude is long gone.

I would be correcting these problems as i speak, but my computer's had to go into storage for a while (hence my absence from the Burnouts) and I don't have UT2K4 installed on my laptop.

I admit a lot of my maps need work, actually I was incredibly surprised that Alladreas is considered a well-liked map despite a 50% chance of GPFing and lets face it, monotonous terrain.

I plan to keep arborea, and tone down the sounds, they are a tad loud aren't they...

Also there's red planet, eugh...

Caribbean's been given a duly-deserved make-over as can be seen in the appropriate thread, a lot of my rabbit maps have been made smaller to intensify gameplay (most obviously in bracknell and in sulphur)

Also I am considering simply destroying some of my rubbish works to save file size (Igneous, Red PLanet (I repeat: eugh...), Faerie (aesthetically pleasing, but people just keep getting lost in it, despite the handy compass and the arrows on the terrain), Mawes (oddly enough I can do nice outdoor scenes, nice indoor scenes but never both at the same time - I wonder why), I'm gonna keep Hilltop, people get lost, but really, the compass does show people where everything is. It's dark ffs! Of course it's gonna be hard to see! none others come to my mind (been too long without UnWheel) but I'm sure I'll find them.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
red planet , it is not that big race map with no fog that give me headhaches and 2 fps?

bracknell is a very good map

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Getting back on topic :D.

Wow, this Subway map is really impressive. Your screenshots don't do it justice ;). The multiple routes, the short outdoor areas, the broken down ruin feel of everything, the lovely big jumps :D. /me loves it. Only thing I could suggest for improvong would be a bit more colour (lighting, decos, whatever) :).

Great job ;).