UTXMP on TWL

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SweetTooth

Evil Clown
Oct 4, 2004
Majai said:
Sweet is |SCK| going to move to XMP?

Myself and SCK has since parted ways and i will be hitting XMP alone... but guys remember TeamWarfare is NOT Jolt... we may have similar rules but we are not the same... we will work hard to make sure everyone has fun and competition is fair though!and again.... DECEMEBER 10th BABY!!!!

Majai

Aug 18, 2004
SweetTooth said:
Myself and SCK has since parted ways and i will be hitting XMP alone... but guys remember TeamWarfare is NOT Jolt... we may have similar rules but we are not the same... we will work hard to make sure everyone has fun and competition is fair though!and again.... DECEMEBER 10th BABY!!!!

Well you could join [BGE] ;)

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
Matt's the man.

As alot of people said, anything under a 20 second deploy in a clan based game is just ridiculous. 20 is a good standard that seems to be played on most servers.. but it's up in the air between that and 25. A tech takes what? 6 seconds to hack something.. that's 1/4 of the time needed to spawn and chances of one starting to hack immediately after the deploy goes off (bringing in fresh reinforcements right to said deploy) are quite low considering they will have to deal with that delay in a timely fashion as to be able to start hacking. So I say 25 seconds.

FYI; This isn't the place to discuss the behindview rules and opinions.. that's hijacked more than a dozen or so threads already. Say yes or no and end it, please. As I recall from RvS though, didn't TWL have fixed camera positions? Different use I know but similar concept.. as in.. no looking behind you? Eh anyways, my vote for behindview is a definite no considering it's been stated countless times that you don't need third person to achieve a concussion jump. Blah blah blah. Moving on.

Team sizes in Jolt were 7v7 but with UTXMP and the expanded community and player base it will bring I think that can easily be upped to an even 8v8. Hardly any clans could field a 7 man team at any given time for XMP save for a handful, so it presented a problem I doubt we'll have to deal with now. But I really have no personal preference since laddering turns gamers into whining girlscouts and I doubt i'll take part in it.

25 minute time limit was lame on certain maps that could go in a stalemate easier than others, such as Alcazar or Garden. The base maps have a tendency to last longer generally than the open ones such as WonderWoods and LowLands. I think 40 minutes would be sufficient in those cases. It's still short enough to not drag on forever but it's long enough to keep a closely tied GOOD game from ending prematurely. More on this below..

FF set at 75%. Low friendly fire is stupid in a TEAM based game. If you can't watch out for your team mates and check yourself from sending 18 rockets into their general vicinity trying to kill an enemy, you deserve to have your team mate die, get pissed, and those negative points to be coming your way. This is XMP.. not DM and it's not Rocket Arena. Play with your team or you don't have any business attempting to "help" them through a ladder match anyways.

.. That's about all I can think of right now.. but as for the whole "how many maps should be played" and the "draw" and "point" mentality.. I think you should wait until after it's released before coming to a conclusion about that.

Majai

Aug 18, 2004
Mantik said:
Matt's the man.

Team sizes in Jolt were 7v7 but with UTXMP and the expanded community and player base it will bring I think that can easily be upped to an even 8v8. Hardly any clans could field a 7 man team at any given time for XMP save for a handful, so it presented a problem I doubt we'll have to deal with now. But I really have no personal preference since laddering turns gamers into whining girlscouts and I doubt i'll take part in it.

While 8v8 will be fun you really need to see the player base XMP gets before you decide on player limits. Look at red orchestra its the #1 played UT2k4 mod but its player base is quite small. I know having an 8 man game means I need minimum of 14 people dedicated to XMP, and depending on the pool of players we have to choose from it might be tuff to get.

Magwa

Sep 28, 2004
have to agree with the above post 8v8 would be hard i have played clan matches for 5 years and it is hard to get 5v5 alot of times do to peoples work etc.i would love to see 5v5 or 6v6...i think for the average clan that is doable...

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
Christ I thought FPS gamers were hardcore :/

When I played EQ we had 80 people on a night. The same 80 people. For like 5 hours. And you people have a hard time getting 5 people on one night a week/every 2 weeks for 2 hours tops? I weep for the future of gaming. Or lack thereof.

dutch_gecko

Think Pink
Jun 16, 2004
www.dutch-gecko.co.uk
Mantik said:
Christ I thought FPS gamers were hardcore :/

When I played EQ we had 80 people on a night. The same 80 people. For like 5 hours. And you people have a hard time getting 5 people on one night a week/every 2 weeks for 2 hours tops? I weep for the future of gaming. Or lack thereof.
Yeah... Most XMP clans can still scrape a 7v7 together despite the fact that the playerbase is tiny. 7v7 or 8v8 should work very well. Perhaps the resizing that will have gone into the maps will warrant more...

LoStMaTt

Aug 30, 2004
Really the most difficult thing is the fact that XMP really only has one possible gametype...which is the game itself. Other games like CoD have different modes and gamtypes which allows for a variety of ladders to be opened. Now TWL can change it up a bit. What would you guys think of a 1v1 ladder, a Ranger vs Ranger Ladder, gunner vs gunner, etc which can be really mixed up for some fun competition.

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
LoStMaTt said:
Really the most difficult thing is the fact that XMP really only has one possible gametype...which is the game itself. Other games like CoD have different modes and gamtypes which allows for a variety of ladders to be opened. Now TWL can change it up a bit. What would you guys think of a 1v1 ladder, a Ranger vs Ranger Ladder, gunner vs gunner, etc which can be really mixed up for some fun competition.
Depends, if the gametype is good, and there's lots of maps, then the single gametype is not a problem. I would play UT EO CTF and never touch any other gametype in UT for years.

Skipr

Apr 1, 2004
Us Alpha people did a 9v9 like 2 weeks ago with [X] clan.

Its totally doable for us and our server!

- /\Flippr

.pot.OptimusPrime

Philosopher stoned
Nov 1, 2004
Finland
Big games are one pain in the ass for hardware though they´re most fun of all. Once, long time ago I played 16v16 ppl public game on MyUnreal.com. There was certain sense of massiveness when 15 of us charged against enemy lines in the hills of Garden. With my old comp it was total insanity, but unforgettable experience. We need to push player limits upper!

cyb

Dec 15, 2003
LoStMaTt said:

btw, are there any gametypes for red orchestra or counter strike? :rolleyes:

and: xmp is not death match, so 1v1 ladders are no big use. at least for me xmp is a class based team game, where 'team' is the important word.

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
cyb said:
btw, are there any gametypes for red orchestra or counter strike? :rolleyes:

and: xmp is not death match, so 1v1 ladders are no big use. at least for me xmp is a class based team game, where 'team' is the important word.

I agree. Though; and you have to take into consideration the fact that XMP's movement style is so different and dynamic than many other games that having dedicated 1v1 ladders would be a neat addition.. IF in fact you could make maps and mutators solely designated to turn them into old school Quake2 Rocket Arena type things. Where only two people spawn and play at once, otherwise it's WAY too much of a hassle to say "ok, X and Y people duel now.. but nobody else intereferz0r!" etc. You know? It'd be difficult to do the way the game is currently and I won't begin to pretend like I know how to create a mutator OR map.. but I see that as probably one of the only ways it would work.

Besides, people like to DM and point whore and strut their ePenis size.. so why not give them a place to do it so they won't have to resort to being team-play killing asshats on public games and ruin the fun for those who are attemping to play XMP the way it was intended. It's be nothing but a good thing.

SweetTooth

Evil Clown
Oct 4, 2004
alright guys.. we should have the forums up come monday... at least i hope so but for now #twl_utxmp on gamesurge is the hoem for UTXMP for TeamWarfare... hope to get this going pretty soon and get some damn good games played!