UT99 Classic DOM!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
whats the point of removing DOM in anyway?
Epic could easily have supported classic DOM and DDom in UT2007
After they put two war games in there(onslaught and conquest) you kind of worry their will be no simple, fastpaced fun games in UT anymore!

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
moonflyer said:
oh they just remove the DOM mode, it's rude. IMO this mode can be very fun, just like the UT99 DOM ever was
the fact is the ut2k3,2k4 versions of DOM(double dom) are not good, which does not mean the DOM itself sucks

The problems of the Double Dom, IMO are:
- meaningless balance. player has to take control of both 2 nodes. this is boring and a bit too complicated
- lack of reward! in old dom, as long as you take control of one node, the score of your team begins to increase, this is instant reward. and you don't have to worry if you can't control all of the nodes.
- it was really fun to blow away a guy who is camping on a node :lol: i miss that feeling so much

hello DOM fan buddy :cool:

I loved DOM from UT99, it was the game mode I played the most and I was really disappointed to see how bad DDOM was in UT2k3/2k4. I keep hoping epic would add DOM back to the UT series, but I don't think we will be seeing it again anytime soon.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
_Zd_Phoenix_ said:
Yea, cos all good things always get the appreciation they deseve. :rolleyes:
If it was so good, why is it not being included in UT2K7?

Yeah, that's right. Cause it's not popular enough.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Nemephosis said:
If it was so good, why is it not being included in UT2K7?

Yeah, that's right. Cause it's not popular enough.

No its called bad decision making, something epic did. Everyone in this thread so far has said they liked DOM, and its clear DOM is better then DDOM. So Epic may aswell bring DOM back or just scrap the whole thing altogether and do a new game mode that doesn't suck.

Xipher

I didn't break it, you did
Feb 15, 2004
Iowa
gregori said:
whats the point of removing DOM in anyway?
Epic could easily have supported classic DOM and DDom in UT2007
After they put two war games in there(onslaught and conquest) you kind of worry their will be no simple, fastpaced fun games in UT anymore!
I don't think (T)DM is going any where. CTF can be pretty fast paced as well.

commonbullet

May 13, 2005
www.csnavcentral.com
people are talking that if it was good it would have been continued; as if that was a rule.

funny, we're talking about ut99 x ut2k3/ut2k4.
which one has been the game of the year?

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
tool said:
No its called bad decision making, something epic did. Everyone in this thread so far has said they liked DOM, and its clear DOM is better then DDOM. So Epic may aswell bring DOM back or just scrap the whole thing altogether and do a new game mode that doesn't suck.

Everyone in one thread in one forum saying that DOM doesn't suck doesn't change the fact that it isn't being played in sufficient numbers. I know it's hard to accept it, but DOM players are very much the minority.

Heck, like someone mentioned above, UT2004 has a cDOM mod and nobody plays that either. What do you expect Epic to do, keep remaking a gametype that isn't being played. THAT would be bad decision making.

I love DOM, DDOM not so much. I would play it, and apparently so would everyone in this thread, but we're loudly outvoted by people who play the other gametypes and who cling to war-games (hence expanding the vehicle modes).

I said it before and I'll say it again, it would be very easy to bring DOM back as a mutator or a gametype. If Epic doesn't want to support a gametype with a miniscule following, then surely someone else with less invested in the overal package will. Then hopefully, these throngs of DOM fans (in this thread) will put their money where their mouth is and actually play it.

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
The thing about all the dropped gametypes is that they could easily be put in as mutators if the maps were set up for it.

cDOM could be a mutator for DM or TDM, with domination points placed in the maps that allow dom.

DDOM and BR could be based on CTF maps.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
It's not about whether or not it's easy. It's a matter of priorities. There are thousands of mutators and gametypes that would be easy to make - but should they?

Now, if you're talking about approaching DOM as a simple mutator - hmm, well maybe that wouldn't be too hard for them to implement. But who wants that, really? DOM works best on dedicated maps. Suddenly Epic has to make 6 or 8 maps for a gametype that very few people play, historically speaking. Why not use that time and talent to spend on gametypes that people DO play?

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
even in non mutator form it wouldn't be diffcult to make!
unreal is known for having a very diverse range of gametypes
it should cater to many! or it's just like every other FPS in the genre,

even working on a much improved DOM could expand that communtity!