UT3 Postmortem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
He just said that it was the fastest selling UT of all time. Doesn't that let you know that it's selling faster than 2k4 and will be on it's way to catch up to it soon? :p

No it doesn't ... did you understand what point he was making ... take away console sales and compare the PC only UT2k4 against the PC version of UT3 ... if you look at those sales it is quite a different story. And as I have said previously the NPD numbers combined with the amount of online activity show that Jeff's statement does NOT extend to the PC only version of UT3. If the PC version of UT3 has done better than we would all know about it ... come on ... you guys don't know Epic well enough by now to know they would be talking it up big time?

But yeah if you take the fact that UT3 will soon be on THREE platforms its not to difficult to see that it will be the biggest selling UT ever ... but so what ... what does that really mean to PC users is the issue here (at least from what I gather). Does it mean that in the future the PC version will actually be better because there will be more money available for its development or does it mean that since the PC is the weakest of the three in terms of sales it is going to be scrapped or severely reduced to mainly a mod dev platform. Oh and I know the 360 version is not out yet but there is no doubt that once it hits it will do much better than the PC version. It will probably move 100K in its first week alone if not more.

Also something you could probably never get accurate stats on is how many of those people bought 2k4 but bought UT3 for PS3 instead of PC because they didnt need the editor. You know cause they can still get a few mods in stuff on that platform anyways.

There are definitely a few folks who did that ... as well as the ones who couldn't afford a major PC upgrade but already had a PS3 and also the ones who went out and bought the console just to play this game (also in anticipation of MGS4, KZ2, Haze, GoW III, SC IV w/Darth Vader, other exclusives).

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah unfortunatly PC doesnt get a great deal of exclusivity on some titles, would be nice if titles spent alittle time on PC before going over to console. Could help the sales of PC games as a whole because people wont be upgrading for 1 or 2 big names but a few more if they want to play them right away. But hey its up to the developers and publishers I guess, something for the alliance to consider?