UT2Vote51B3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

frogger187

eat. sleep. frag.
May 2, 2003
utw-Mephisto said:
By the way, all links for the online manual are dead. Just wanted to give a German friend Socke's manual which is .... gone :)

yes..ut2vote.com is also showing ut2vote49.

Imaginos

Deathball addict?
Sep 13, 2000
New Joisey, USA
Visit site
May or not be related, but when doubleclicking a gametype to vote, and if that vote is the deciding one that switches the game I've noticed something odd. Server says gametype xxx won the vote and proceeds to the map selection. However, I find that I had already cast a vote for the gametype that had just won! Then people who weren't paying attention join me in voting the gametype again.. even though it shouldn't be available for voting anymore.
This doesn't seem to be consistantly duplicatable.

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
Can someone please test this guys server with regard to the wrong maps when voting a new gametype.
I tried everything here but all works ok.
I will try his explaination tomorrow although it looks like what I already done - wierd :(

Da Kril said:
For you to test out the wrong-prefix problem I am having, my server is at 66.55.134.30.

The password is "fng" without the quotes.
(please don't give that out, thanks)

Thanks for your time,
Da Kril

frogger187

eat. sleep. frag.
May 2, 2003
well..something minor that may or may not be caused by other muts.. when voting..if i vote...the voted map appears in the tally window...if i change my vote that one disapears, but my new voted map doesn't always appear. I don't think this is specific to this build. Just wanted to note it.

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
Yes I know about this one as if you remember in the beginning this problem was bad.
Its dependant on the players connection speed, his NetSpeed and whether the server is connected to the MasterServer or not (DoUplink=)
What I did over time was drastically improve the way this information is replicated to the client and there is still room for improvement although trying to tight code a replication is difficult to say the least.
Several things I have noticed and some reports I've had regarding this is whether you join a server via the UT2004 Browser or whether you join via and external Browser like AllSeeingEye, GameSpy, UT4Monitor etc.
People using an external browser seems to get a far better connection and much faster replication than people using the supplied UT2004 Browser and is possibly the reason I never see the problems you guys often get as I never ever use the internal Browser :)

I still have to proove that the built in browse disables when you are online playing and although Epic say it does, I would still like some sort of proof and it may be the sole reason why so many people get lag, bad pings and a zillion problems.
During the days of UT1, no-one, well very few people used the internal browser.
With UT2003, the ratio was about 50/50 and with UT2004 its now approx 90/10.
Today people need a 3gig CPU - top of the range graphic card, lotsa memory etc etc to play UT2004 - makes you think dont it :)

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
A 350 ping will definently give replication delay problems.
UT2Vote is basically designed for pings better than 200.

From what I've heard, not sure if its true on not, but the latest version of UTComp, 1.6 I think, kinda tries to average out the pings for everyone, similar to what ZeroPing used to do for UT1, and this will cause havoc for everyone on the server if you have a 350 ping as it will try and average out the differences and of course all sorts of Replication problems will show up :(
But thats only if the server you are on is running UTComp 1.6 or later.

frogger187

eat. sleep. frag.
May 2, 2003
yes..i've been following this discussion...and i of course was saying PingCompensation works just as well...then Wormbo comes on and says it does nothing..it's all in my head... :stupid:

i tried to get UTcomp to run only the netcode...but it doesn't seem possible. all the overlay crap and it breaks UTextra skins, etc...not worth it to me.

tdw-socke

Nov 21, 2003
utcomp netcode and pingcompensation do not work in the same way. UTComp works serverside, while pingcompensation works mostly clientside...

i had the discussion with wormbo some weeks ago and he explained it in detail, but i forgot allmost all of it ^^

frogger187

eat. sleep. frag.
May 2, 2003
Originally posted by Wormbo
It's true, Ping Compensation 2 doesn't work as planned. There seems to be an incredible placebo effect, though.
Anyway, the mod's intention was to give players a better game experience, and whether that's done one way or the other doesn't really matter IMHO.