ut2007 preview - hyper

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
nuttella said:
Locational armor sounds ok to me. Plus you'll need a helmet in case you fall off your hoverboard.
LOL. Guess we will need knee pads too then, huh? lol ;)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Fully-locational armor is a bad idea. Again, this is a stab towards realism, which is something no one wants (or should want) except in graphics. UT had thigh pads, but they were only in name - they still functioned as simply 50 points of armor. I don't want characters to be more vulnerable because they, for instance, only grabbed the body armor but someone wailed on their testicles with the stinger and thus got to ignore their body armor. Leave that crap to Rainbox Six and other more realistic games, please.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Turns2Ashes said:
Fully-locational armor is a bad idea. Again, this is a stab towards realism, which is something no one wants (or should want) except in graphics. UT had thigh pads, but they were only in name - they still functioned as simply 50 points of armor. I don't want characters to be more vulnerable because they, for instance, only grabbed the body armor but someone wailed on their testicles with the stinger and thus got to ignore their body armor. Leave that crap to Rainbox Six and other more realistic games, please.

I disagree, I want to take cheap shots at enemies knock off armor until they're running around in their underwear.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
Turns2Ashes said:

Entertaining visuals in that statement, but I agree 100%. I really don't feel like the current armor needs much adjustment, other than visualy.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
If you can knock it off with a shot then it won't be much different than offing Brutes in H2. 1 shot to knock the helmet off, another to kill it, easy enough.
As a n00b who will most likely get headshotted quite often when I make it online, I have to say I appreciate it. Besides, it'll be about 2 minutes after release until someone makes a no-helmet mut, and about 2 more seconds before it becoms standard on all servers, so what's the worry? ^_^

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Sijik said:
If you can knock it off with a shot then it won't be much different than offing Brutes in H2. 1 shot to knock the helmet off, another to kill it, easy enough.

:tup: agreed.

New scale will make headshots inevitabley easier. It will probably be placed similar to how boots were before, and probably wont' be used by community mappers if it's that bad.

Deadmeat

Mar 31, 2006
Turns2Ashes said:
Fully-locational armor is a bad idea. Again, this is a stab towards realism, which is something no one wants (or should want) except in graphics. UT had thigh pads, but they were only in name - they still functioned as simply 50 points of armor.

I agree. I like the idea of having different armour pick-ups like the body armour, thigh pads and shield belt to provide different amounts of armour protection but only as an interesting / more immersive way of explaining armour levels. Gameplay-wise as long as your wearing armour you should always be protected by it no matter were you are shot.

I also think visible armour on the player models is a good idea. I liked the fact that wearing the shield belt in Unreal/UT'99 surrounded you in a bright 'force field' for everyone to see. Given the technological advancements this kind of thing should be extended to other, physical, forms of armour in UT2007.

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
I am really, completely, absolutely against the idea of a headshot-prevention helmet. Okay, it'd be an advantage against really good players, but ****. It's horrid when you hit a headshot and your opponent survives, this should not be encouraged.

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
Linten said:
I am really, completely, absolutely against the idea of a headshot-prevention helmet. Okay, it'd be an advantage against really good players, but ****. It's horrid when you hit a headshot and your opponent survives, this should not be encouraged.

Yeah. When you get a headshot, it should be a headshot not a just kidding your opponant got the helmet. This is UNREAL, it's not real.

BeerGut said:
I disagree, I want to take cheap shots at enemies knock off armor until they're running around in their underwear.

I'm glad you don't work for epic :)

RyGaR

Feb 7, 2005
I think the idea of a helmet is pretty good. Since I believe that a headshot with a sniper in 2k7 may be a kill otherwise instead of just setting your opponents head on fire with a maximum of 120 damage, like 2k4.

At least it brings something new and interesting to the table in the world of unreal. Epics been making unreal games for years now guys trust in their ability to introduce something new like this helmet while retaining balanced gameplay.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
SR headshot is 120, Ltg is 140.

RyGaR said:
Since I believe that a headshot with a sniper in 2k7 may be a kill otherwise instead of just setting your opponents head on fire with a maximum of 120 damage, like 2k4.

That'd be a very bad idea for gameplay and balance, trust me.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Indeed. What would be the point of going for armor if your opponent could always headshot you and kill you no matter how much you had?

Lruce

Transcending to another level
Jun 14, 2003
Depends how technical you want to get with all the additional bits and peices you can wear - if you're going to model in physics and protection to each peice of kit you pick up it has to be worth getting just like shields and health packs etc, on the other hand you might want to balance that out with some sort of 'encumberance' handicap, sure you'll be protected but you will move as slow as hell or if you have a cast iron helmet wrapped around your head your field of view will be somewhat restricted, personally I would rather they keep the pickups fairly simple otherwise the whole thing will become a pain in the arse.

beefsack

the authority in beef
Nov 22, 2002
Canberra, Australia
beefsack.blogspot.com
i like people complaining about it being unreal, not real, but also complaining that if you headshot you should die :p meh all i remember of ctf on facing worlds on UT is snipers, and its similar to all other open area maps, basically the best sniper comes out with thousands of kills and anyone using other weapons merely served as prey. think having a helmet will make at least the larger game modes more viable, but undecided in dm

Armagon

Hardened Veteran
Apr 10, 2005
Long time no DB eh Beefsack?
Though PC Powerplay had a four page article on UT2007 (with all the same information) a couple of issues ago. ;)

Last edited: