UT2007 a bit too dark?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
not everyone have problems with their monitors, so that s why I keep on thinking that brightskins is not something totally fair for everyone...

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
well, i mentioned my monitor because its the most extreme case of the situation, as in everyone would have problems aiming at someone hiding in the dark, its only harder for me... i think that the game should have a way of 'spotting' someone, as in if you look at someone for long enough, that person begins to light up, maybe for everyone else to see but maybe only for you to see so you can see him clearly... but if they manage to not catch your attention, they stay at their ambient brightness , allowing them to use shadows etc to let them hide

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
you should be able to hide in the dark, because it s a part of the game too.
I don t think that people should be highlighted once spotted because you deny the fact that they keep on using the terrain at once you know that they are in some special places.
I think that we have to understand that maps are made of clear open areas and dark areas...
So instead of bright skins, why not having only open areas?!?... Where would be the fun then? We should save this hiding opportunity that dark areas can give and we should understand that not everyone are long range skilled players. if we want a wide range of different gameplay to be used then we should drop brightskins to make it possible.

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
the only thing i could see as an acceptable solution instead of brightskin, an infra red filter on the secondary fire of the lightning gun:

MuLuNGuS

Apr 14, 2005
hmm...i've never understand the usefulness 4 neon looking brightskins.

people argument that they can see the enemy better with brightskins,
wtf..if you can see the enemy better than the enemy can see you better too, there is no advantage.

same with shadows: when the enemy can hide in shadows, you can hide in shadows too, lol

in contrary, real time lightnig/shadowing gives more ingame tactics.

i want a nice real looking environment, not neon-brightskins bunnyhopping in a simple box.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
or some other gun that can highlight people through the scope... so yeah, if there is an infra red filter thing, then you combine the not-getting-spotted aspect of hiding in the dark, but instead of the player lighting up when you spot them, you manually turn on the infra red and start fragging away like you would if you could see them properly...

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
Well the things is that many gamers doesnt want UT to be about hiding in shadows, if they want a game that is about sneaking up on your opponent they will play something else. If you want the game to be about hiding and camping then ofc you dont want skins that arent effected by shadows or light... But if you want the opposite then you want those kinds of skins... that's why I want it in a mutator, a competitive mutator or whatever you want to call it which enables settings that suits the players that want a more "oldschool" approach to the game... And just as a side note, you can be extremly sneaky even if you play with brightskins you just have to think a bit when doing it since you cant just sit down in a dark area and be invisible... Making hiding in shadows a balanced things is only possible if you cant change the gamma and things like that since people could abuse it and remove shadows while other plays with them on and gain a huge advantage...

Im generally not a big fan of mutators, but one will be required if they make the skins like they were in UT2003/UT2004. And then I would rather see a that an official one made by Epic becomes then standard rather than a mut made by the community

Last edited:

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
first, if ever one day the people from epic could pick up the infra red scope idea, I would not think that it would be a good idea to have it on several weapons, but just ONLY one of them, the lightning gun for instance since this weapon already have a scope.
Second, I think that those who wants to play on their long range skills must just then play on the most open fields of the map they re playing in or the most highlighted parts of it and avoid the dark areas if they don t like them. On the other hand those who wish to avoid snipers should keep on playing in the dark area and take advantage of it. I think that often, Epic has been smart to provide well balanced maps for both long range players and close combat players, why should a bright skin mutator destroy this balance? it s a kind of tyranny to claim that only long range is worth and that the rest is crap. It s what some people say in a way when they claim that everything HAVE TO be seen from any distance. They just want the whole game to fit their own skills and they don t try to understand some other alternative tactics... it s respectless. Next step: Maybe they suggest a mutator that freeze everyone who does not play with long range weapon too!!! ;).

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
As long as it's in a mutator it's optional so whats wrong about it? People who wants to use brightskins now uses UTComp just like they used TTM for UT2003. The same people will use another mutator (if needed) for UT2007 but it will not be forced upon anyone, just like it isnt forced upon anyone now...

I dont think the domination with LG/Shock is caused by brightskins, the problem was the same before we even had brightskins and it's still a problem in the gametypes that dont use UTComp as well. Epic seems to have figured out since they are nerfing the movement so they can make smaller maps so that close range weapons are more useful...

Going to be really interesting to see what they do with the weapons though, to make it a bit more balanced so that LG/Shock isn't so useful in closecombat anymore...

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
In clanmatches UTComp is often forced on you if the other clan insists to have it on. And a lot of clans do just that.
Arguing about it either results in endless whining and discussion, or in no match at all

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
Sure, but it's up to the league and it's players to decide on the rules... everyone will never be 100% satisfied and even if you play with UTComp you can still use the Epic Enhanched Skins which looks great and are still as visible as the neon skins..

H20WingZero

Mar 15, 2002
Visit site
Brightskins could possibly have some sort of part to do with Shock/LG dominance. The brightskin colors are adjusted by the user's choice to what he/she reacts best to; in other words without the brightskins, a player wouldn't react as fast with the Shock/LG long range since I'd have to say most of the time it would be semi-hard to see. The same could be said with the user adjusting the GAMMA/BRIGHTNESS which some people are too lazy to experiment with - prolly what led to "TTM & UTCOMP Brightskins". TBH, I've played 95% of my UT2004 time with Brightskins, the other 5% in servers that don't have it. To me, there's hardly much of a difference depending on how you adjust your brightness and gamma settings (for me, i don't touch brightness, just the GAMMA.)

Maybe part of the problem also could be the lighting on the maps. I was speculating a few times in UE3 a couple of weeks ago on most of the maps, with experience with UE1-UE2 editor - at least on Compressed I was convinced that there is lack of good placements where some lighting should be around the map. But that's for you to find out yourself, not really in the mood to further prove this little theory.

Last edited: