UT2007 a bit too dark?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Xipher

I didn't break it, you did
Feb 15, 2004
Iowa
BooGiTyBoY said:
1) Seems movement is a tiny bit faster than 2k4, also the dodges seem to travel quite a ways. Looks like they took a happy medium between 2k4's normal dodge and a dodge/jump.
Aye, although I think dodges don't go nearly as far (in the video, the dodge went from one side of his screen to the other, and the guy was pretty close, so thats what? 5 feet?
BooGiTyBoY said:
3) Not too fond of the scorpions front blades... takes the fun out of skidding out and catching someone on your blade during the spin. That's just me.
Yea, but I can see why they might put them up there.
BooGiTyBoY said:
4) RoF on the manta and raptor seems rather juiced up. Don't know if that's good or bad. I can sit here and say "oh that sucks blah blah" but we have no idea how much damage each shot does so...
Yea, from the looks of it, I don't think its all that much, since he must have gotten quite a few pumped into that tank before he blew it up, and the tank didn't get destroyed
BooGiTyBoY said:
5) Well so much for new versions of weapons. RL and SHock look exactly the same function-wise. Even the projectiles themselves look almost exactly the same... just the weap models have changed. Booooooo!!!!
Umm, the Shock hasn't really changed at all in function since the original UT (maybe even Unreal, didn't play it) and thats because thats how people like it. The only change I have seen is with UC2, and that was the ablity to "stop" the balls mid air. I think they got the Shock, Rocket, and Flack all fine, no need to change and piss off fans.
BooGiTyBoY said:
6) Doesn't look like they fixed the scaling too much, but it just might be the vid (crosses fingers and hopes it's just the vid)
Well, the demo was of a conquest map, which I think are ment to be much larger and open, have to wait and see how (T)DM and CTF play out later
BooGiTyBoY said:
7) Morgan Webb needs to get those huge honkin' dumbo ears of hers pinned back already.
:rolleyes: I think she looks fine :con:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
The scaling was up quite a bit.

...and for some reason when I saw the manta fire, I got the impression that it was like some special burst type attack, and not the normal fire. Maybe an alt fire, considering we can use crouch/jump for it's elevation changes.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
I'm just hoping, if it was the primary fire and it wasn't burst fire, that the splash damage have been toned down so players are able to jump or dodge while being shot at. That goes for both the manta and the raptor.

Either that or I'm hoping splash damage won't limit movement as much as it does in UT2k4, as it's one of the things that irritate me the most in UT2k4.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Here's a thought:

Perhaps in an effort to balance things out, Epic has increased the abilities (rate of fire, burst shots, etc) of the vehicles a bit more. As it is right now, a player on foot with a decent amount of cover has a pretty good chance against a vehicle. Some vehicles are totally useless against someone with good hitscan abilities.

Giving the player a hoverboard gives a respawning player a chance to get to a vehicle his or herself. Maybe with the increase in number of vehicles, this incarnation of Onslaught (and Conquest too) will depend more heavily on vehicles as it should.

Keep in mind - I don't know that to be true. Just a thought.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Yeah, I've debated that myself. Though I've never really taken a solid opinion on how/if I think that should be changed. The fact that I, well equipped, and on foot, can usually hold my own against multiple vehicles, barring a Goli, or Levi, does seem a bit odd, and can also be quite un-balancing if my team is making good use of vehicles, but unless they change the way vehicles are handled, that ability is almost necessary.

I see it needing to go one of two ways. If vehicles are beefed up to more consistantly take on lots of infantry: A) There needs to be much less of them then there are now. or B) There needs to be enough for everyone at almost all times.

Considering how gameflow in current onslaught almost makes fast manta travel from node to node a necessity, then maybe having beefed them up, is a bi-product of having less of them, and as well, making the "hoverboard" or something like that neccessary, so that even if you don't have the offensive power of a vehicle, you still have a means to get where you gotta go.

Just hope user maps account for these things.

Vault

May 29, 2005
i like the dark look. I thought most of the UT2004 maps were to bright

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
the problem with ut2kx maps was the lack of lights and darks and varied lighting,
every thing was a dull flat mix of browns and greys, this is mostly because they used to many static meshes which can only do flat vertex lighting unlike bsp,
The real time lighting will probably make the static meshes look solid and realistic for once! Ultimately you cant have to much darkness in a multiplayer game because its not resident evil or doom and the focus is on speedy shot for shot battles between you and your opponent!

krjal

Minotaur
May 10, 2005
Australia
Vault said:
i like the dark look. I thought most of the UT2004 maps were to bright

ditto

And you can have something look dark and gritty AND still be able to see things. Amazing, I know.

H20WingZero

Mar 15, 2002
Visit site
The primary RoF on the shock looked really fast. That's sort of bad, considering it'll be abused again hitscan wise with top players, but that would have to depend on how upclose these fights actually are (scale of the dm maps at least).

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
Bullet10k said:
O yea, I dont want those UGLY bright skins for UT2007, UGH, ugly pink Gorge.

Agree, bright skins only helps one kind of players (long range skilled players) while it really disadvantage another kind of players (ambusher)

I don t care to have it a bit dark if it helps to get the balance right.

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
the problem of long range domination isnt the brightskins fault, you can see the opponents just as well in UT and isn't nearly as dominated by long range battles as UT2003... imo it's the scale of the maps fault and the weapons... as it is now you got three awesome long distance weapons in the LG/Shock/Mini... so you dont need to go into close combat if you dont want to and because of the large maps it often takes quite a long time to get close to your opponent... just using the shock/lg is often enough to dominate a map... They seem to be fixing the scale issue for UT2007 with the nerfed movement I just hope they make the needed changes to the weapons as well...

Oh and about the darkness in the game I agree that it's hard to see the models in the video but it's only a video and I really hope that they are going to make good teamskins this time so that the picking of a model doesnt effect how well you do... perhaps they need to add a "competitive mutator" with brightskins/hitsounds themselves? would be much better than having to use something like UTComp/TTM...

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
how about they use the realtime lighting with brightskins, like they literally light up their surroundings with their team colour and you can see specks of team coloured lights in the distance where the players are...

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
I think that the most important thing (for me and many other competitive gamers) is that the skins have the same visibility everwhere... players shouldnt be able to hide in shadows since that isn't what the game is about to "us"... that's bascily why I want a competitive mutator made by Epic with those kinds of settings... it would just make everyones lives so much easier ^^

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
I think that bright skins are really killing the fun of the hunt... everything becomes like a duel in the old west, BUT I am not sure that everyone is looking for that in UT.
I would like to imagine how good would be a tiger in the jungle with a purple fluorescent skin !!! we would just destroy the nature of the tiger then because he could not use the terrain as he should do!!!
that s what we do in UT with bright skins, we just skip a entire side of tactic based on ambush, brain and good use of the terrain to make it a simple and basical (and in IMO not fun) duel in an open field. Bright skins are just made for a kind of players who really believe that it is the way it have to be because it s the way it fits their own skills ---> UNFAIR

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Brightskins aren't too bad when you turn their brightness nearly almost down. Then you can still see the texture detail on the model without it being a uniform blue/pink

But better yet, they should just make the standard team colors a bit brighter or standout. In UT2004 they were too subdued, and that led to the creation of brightskins

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
I agree, a compromise between regular skins and bright skins as they are now in UT2004 should be surely a wise option

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
i think that theres an important difference here between spotting an enemy, and aiming effectively at an enemy... like, i know this first hand because i have a very lousy lcd monitor which needs alot of contrast to be able to show moving images properly, and altho i can aim reasonably on an enemy visible on screen, there are alot of times when i simply cant see where the enemy is, and i end up using my good aim to shoot at where i think the enemy is ,when my view is changing and im moving around myself, and worse still if my enemy is shooting spammy weapons at me , especially the flak cannon because the flak has got such a bright colour and when my enemy is in a dark place right behind the flak i wont be able to see him