UT2007: 11 Things Epic needs to do right.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Decibel

Carpe Imperium
Nov 11, 2005
Netherlands
www.clanci.net
NeoNite said:
Imho it has to be a bloody marriage of both.

Ofcourse, but a healthy and long lasting marriage.
It seems to me that at this point EVERYTHING is towards how to max this engine as much as possible to get the best screenshots ever made.
And at the same time I'm seeing the same decors as the first glimps that were recorded with some handheld cam.
So what I meant was that I really hope that gameplay gets atleast the same attention as the graphics, because in the end it's the gameplay that makes the player want to stick with this game.

Wardad71

Dec 12, 2005
NW Indiana
www.thedamclan.com
Getting back to the original post IMHO:

1) Characters. Yes

2) Necris. See #1 Yes.

3) Character Visibility. Yes

4) Character Scale. yes.

5) Maps. Absofreekinlutely!

6) Fall Damage. Keep Shield gun please!

7) Poly Useage. Sure.

8) Weapon Balancing. Absolutely.

9) Headshots. See #8. Yes.

10) Play Balancing. Yes. Personal note: ....VCTF = GOOD. Manta Runs can be handled with players who know what they are doing. (The thing is to have a proper defense set-up to deal with that potential MR). Between in-game vehicles, the AVRIL, TEAMWORK, and a well placed hitscan shot, manta runs can be dealt with. Warding off a manta run can be very rewarding and fun. They don't ALWAYS work. Please visit or spec our server(s) and you'll see a lot of fun going on with some hardcore UT fans... www.thedamclan.com. Watch this : http://roundrockdesign.com/crush/learningtofly.avi Large version. I think some people who don't like VCTF need to revisit some of the better servers and see that a lot of changes (and good maps are appearing -check out some of Kantham's work).

11) INI settings/Tweaking. Yes.

Last edited:

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
I think the skins should be as visible as the Enhanched Epic Brightkins are in UTComp, no not the neon skins, the good looking once :) And forcing models/teamcolors is a must...

About hitscan domination I think that if Epic is changing the scale of the game, to make it more in your face like UT99 you will see a lot less hitscan domination just because of that... But it's just silly to have 45 damage with the shock primary fire, you can basicly fire two shockrifle shots on one LG-shot, and the stupid knockback of the shock makes it easier to hit the second shot than the first one... 90 damage... just like that... I personally would like to drop the damage down to something like 25, without the knockback... the shock should be about the combo, having an incredibly powerful primary fire just makes the weapon good in way to many (all) situations...

And forcing people to have some settings is just silly, just have the same level of tweaking as you have today with UT2004.

Oh and I think headshots should be removed way to random. You actually get surprised by headshots, both when you do get them and when you dont get them... but Epic will never remove it I guess ^^

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Nosnos said:
You actually get surprised by headshots, both when you do get them and when you dont get them...
That's because you force models. The server sees the model the other guy is actually using and bases the headshot on that model rather than what you're forcing. Or, if the player is using some random custom model, the server sees Jakob and bases the headshot on him. Don't force models if you want headshots to seem less random.

Rk.

Sleezy bastard.
Nov 18, 2005
Candyland.
Wardad71 said:
Getting back to the original post IMHO:

1) Characters. Yes

2) Necris. See #1 Yes.

3) Character Visibility. Yes

4) Character Scale. Omglol, f*ck yeah!

5) Maps. Absofreekinlutely!

6) Fall Damage. Keep Shield gun please!

7) Poly Useage. Sure.

8) Weapon Balancing. Absolutely.

9) Headshots. See #8. Yes.

10) Play Balancing. Yes. Personal note: ....VCTF = GOOD. Manta Runs can be handled with players who know what they are doing. (The thing is to have a proper defense set-up to deal with that potential MR). Between in-game vehicles, the AVRIL, TEAMWORK, and a well placed hitscan shot, manta runs can be dealt with. Warding off a manta run can be very rewarding and fun. They don't ALWAYS work. Please visit or spec our server(s) and you'll see a lot of fun going on with some hardcore UT fans... www.thedamclan.com. Watch this : http://roundrockdesign.com/crush/learningtofly.avi Large version. I think some people who don't like VCTF need to revisit some of the better servers and see that a lot of changes (and good maps are appearing -check out some of Kantham's work).

11) INI settings/Tweaking. Yes.
I just decided to correct your post:)

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
Nosnos said:
But isn't the hitbox the same for every character? If not then it should be, shouldnt matter if a player uses Gorge or Jakob
Not in ut2k4. If the neckbone doesn't rest in the same place relative to the hitbox for every different character, then the headshot region will differ.

Why else would you be able to headshot Tamika when she is doing a flip? The hitbox can't rotate, but the headshot region is calculated by where the neckbone is relative to the hitbox midway though the animation it's currently going under.

Stop forcing, you don't have a reason to force when there are brightskins.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Nosnos said:
But isn't the hitbox the same for every character? If not then it should be, shouldnt matter if a player uses Gorge or Jakob
The main hitbox is the same, but the headshot area, though the same size for all models, is placed based on the models' rigging. This is why shots on skinny player models sometimes look like they shouldn't be a hit when they register as such, because the main hitbox is bigger than the small models. It's not all newnet, you know. ;) Yes, I'm aware you're across the pond and they don't use newnet over there, but still. :p

Anyway, here's a test for you or anyone to try. Have someone play has Gorge and another play as Mekkor (spelling?) while you force your usual model upon them. Get them to stand side by side, try to headshot the Gorge guy, then sidestep without moving the mouse at all, and shoot the other guy. I haven't tried it outright, but I'm almost positive you won't headshot Mekkor guy even though you're shooting Arclite or whoever you force in the same place.

briach said:
Stop forcing, you don't have a reason to force when there are brightskins.
Actually, if you have poor global awareness like me, forcing teammates to female characters and enemies to males or whatever other different combination can help because you'll know audibly if it's a teammate or enemy nearby. ;)

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
heh, and after all that testing I did. I think I'm going to stop forcing models and see how I do with my headshots. :D

Maybe I'll start getting consitant head shots. It would be about time.

malaymishra123

Dec 7, 2005
what is IMO or IMHO and such things?

whats the ful form??....

lol....also cud sum1 tell me abt the other commonly used abbreviations??

thanx
Undead

Decibel

Carpe Imperium
Nov 11, 2005
Netherlands
www.clanci.net
malaymishra123 said:
what is IMO or IMHO and such things?

whats the ful form??....

lol....also cud sum1 tell me abt the other commonly used abbreviations??

thanx
Undead
IMO= In My Opinion
IMHO= In My Honest Opinion
lol = laughing out loud
cud= could
sum1= someone

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Didn't read through all this, I just wanted to comment on how excellent the first post was. All very important points, and well-expressed.

malaymishra123

Dec 7, 2005
Renegade Retard said:
How the heck do you misspell "full," "could," "someone," and "about" but spell "abbreviations" correctly? :con:

lol
short form m8

same as told above:lol:

since there was no short form that could mean abbreviations....i had to use the full word....lol

:D

stephen_wq

AKA The--Grim--Reaper
Dec 15, 2003
I only read the first page, but you are right about all of that.
I think epic doesnt want to release beta's even privatly because its in dev. When a beta is released it is leaked majorly if its private, like messenger 8 and other things. This sucks. Thats why GPL and things like linux rock. Mods release betas and only keep it private when its not good enough to release, but its still pretty much open, so why not be more open with the community.
Give the bigshots of the UT community, like those who run BU, and the veteran members a go at testing it. I put my trust in them to make the game the best it can be.

innociv

Mar 25, 2005
I agree on most.

Though with the shock rifle and lightnign gun rulingin UT2004.. That's not about those weapons, it's about the rest of the game.

In UT99 things where faster paced. HEck, the sniper from ut99 fires faster than the lightning gun, it's easier to land a headshot, no trail, etc. Yet it was only the dominant weapon for people with good accuracy.
UT2004 is mostly a medium range hitscan fest because of how unreactiv ethe movement is. In ut99 it was alot harder to judge where to aim aheado somon (to compensate for lag).

The movement is the main reason i don't like ut2003/4. It's a big part of what ruined the "in your face"ness of ut99.

/edit
You should make your post 12 reasons. You forgot to add in nali and nali warcows.

Last edited: