UT2003 / UT2004 Network Compatability To Be Broken

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
swag said:
but their interest in the bottom line is clouding the appropriate developement of the engine.
Their interest in the bottom line is whats fueling the development of the engine you stooge :p Theyd have kept making Jazz Jackrabbit games if Unreal didnt take off like it did.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I have already sent an email to mark about doing that very same thing :)

Dgizusse

Mar 11, 2003
Visit site
Breaking the compatability is just normal...

-It would require way to much time to fix the netcode in UT2k3... (4-5 mounths afther the UT2k4 release maybe... Beta testing this can be VERY long)
- Forget about using mutator/software like PunkBuster... It's 2 different games!!! That means no more cheat protection or way less efficient...
-UT2k4 contain more stuff than BF1942 + RtR + SW put together for 1/3 of the price...

You can be sure I'll buy UT2k4 as i've bought UT2k3... How can someone resist to a BF1942 style gameplay in the Unreal universe???

swag

Global Agenda Dev
Jan 12, 2004
Upside your head
TWD said:
The reasons epic gives are completely legit. In order to patch ut2003 for it to be compatable with 2004 it would just be too much work. Time that could be spent doing usefull things.

As for proper documentation. More of the same. Epic doesn't have the time to waste writing up documentation so that complete n00bs out there can learn it. It is much better to leave it to the community. Most of unrealscript assumes that you already know c++ to begin with in which case you wouldn't need documentation you could just look at the code and learn that way.
I dont know c++ but I can decipher what is happening in the code thanks, in part, to the year or so of college I took before reality hit me.

And the point is that epic stated that backward compatibility would exist for all mods developed on ut2k3 in ut2k4. Build Something Unreal contest thingy that they ran all last year had THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of hours of developement time to go into a contest all upon the shoulders of the community. The real good ones will be incorporated into future releases, I am sure. All those contestants that did not get picked and every other mod builder that did work on the ut2k3 engine worked with the knowledge that backward compatibility would exist. How is THAT for too much work? :eek:

Sparky

Retired Administrator
Dec 6, 1999
Australia
www.beyondunreal.com
Awesome, doesn't concern me in the slightest. And really, the only people who have grounds to moan are the modders, and I'm sure with a small recompile they'll be up and running in 2k4.

I'll say it again, I can't wait for this game... although I do pray it comes in better than what 2k3 did.

MachDelta

Haphazard Nobody
Apr 29, 2001
Canada
Visit site
Dgizusse said:
- Forget about using mutator/software like PunkBuster... It's 2 different games!!! That means no more cheat protection or way less efficient...
Speaking of which, I hope to god that Dr.Sin is taking the hard line with '04. '03 didn't really live up to its supposedly "unhackable" reputation... i'd hate to see the same thing happen with '04. :hmm:

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
Swag said:
And the point is that epic stated that backward compatibility would exist for all mods developed on ut2k3 in ut2k4.
Yep. Mark said that and as usually LIED! ...Dont blame me...
hal said:
Swag... mediocre by what standards? Where are all of the better engines that are out right now and what games are on them?
By standars of optimization and looks.
Optimization: laggy as hell in outside maps. I have old games with HUGE outside maps that dont give me lag. UT2k3/U2 does.
Looks: Lighting on static meshes is the worst thing that ever happened to games. Dont even mention that baking of textures, ffs.

Also there is the issue of engine being undocumented which is huge problem for moders (you dont know what works how and you have to spend days to figure it out, instead of reading few lines in a documentation).

Its just looks like UT success was a clear random lucky success for Epic. They dont have anything more to offer.

Last edited:

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
You guys do not get it do you?

To quote this thread:
EvilDrWong said:
At the very least we'll have to recompile with the new source. At most we'll have to completely re-write stuff that we shouldnt have hacked up as much as we did anyway.

Read it!
Now read it again, aloud!
Now UNDERSTAND it!

This will be no big deal for mods, each patch has done similar things to ALL mods out there than UT2004 will to UT2003 mods. It was NEVER said that UT2004 mods would be compatible with UT2003 without modification. Also the MSUC rules for the last phase state that the mods have to be compatible with UT2004. This sentence wouldn't be needed if they had planned to make UT2003 mods work with UT2004 by default and vice versa, right?

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Epic's never said that UT2003 mods would work with UT2004 without edits (see Loibish/Wong). Jeebus, Edo - YOU KNOW THAT. You know that every patch of UT2003 alone can easily break a mod's compatibility causing the team/coder to have to update. That's been true since ... modding began. If you dislike it so much, go mod for the Half-Life engine, where Valve where break things in your mod just to get it to work for Counter-Strike.

This is nothing big, or different, or horrible for mods. It's better code and better performance, and my only complaint is that I don't get to play with it for another month or so.

(also, every other engine out there to mod is undocumented as well)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Doc_EDo said:
Yep. Mark said that and as usually LIED! ...Dont blame me...

The next time you are PR for a company that has hundreds of thousands of community members whining and whining to get a game release (or even a date) I will care about your opinion on Mark Rein. As far as I'm concerned, he has done an excellent job with what he has been given, and I'm willing to bet lots of money to say that he never lied on purpose to bolster faith in the game or anything like that. I think he was just giving a very real estimation in all the times he ever said anything. Obviously he wised up this time around and is not giving ANY information. FFS, it's attitudes like this that keep the developers so far removed from the community.

Luggage

wins.
Apr 25, 2001
Germany
www.planetunreal.com
Doc_EDo said:
Optimization: laggy as hell in outside maps. I have old games with HUGE outside maps that dont give me lag. UT2k3/U2 does.
Looks: Lighting on static meshes is the worst thing that ever happened to games. Dont even mention that baking of textures, ffs.

Also there is the issue of engine being undocumented which is huge problem for moders (you dont know what works how and you have to spend days to figure it out, instead of reading few lines in a documentation).

Its just looks like UT success was a clear random lucky success for Epic. They dont have anything more to offer.

WTF... you're clear that you haven't paid or licensed this engine, right? All the documentation that's available - See UDN - is provided for the free public.
Other engines' docs are much worse. :p

W

WishMaster2003

This is simple version of my plan :D Ut2003+Upgrade patch=UT2004
I think this would be something,'cause day of defeat has come to retail version and Counter-strike too.Why dont they do upgrade patch to ut2003 ?I dont like to buy Ut2004,'cause I have Ut2003 already !!
What do you guys say ?

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
WishMaster2003 said:
This is simple version of my plan :D Ut2003+Upgrade patch=UT2004
I think this would be something,'cause day of defeat has come to retail version and Counter-strike too.Why dont they do upgrade patch to ut2003 ?I dont like to buy Ut2004,'cause I have Ut2003 already !!
What do you guys say ?

Tell me you're being funny...

Look, I know it seems like game developers exist in some wonderland of candy canes and pixie sticks, but all those damn pixie sticks cost money. Eventually we have to pony up for the work they do. It's a fact, let's just deal with it and move on.

I think this may be the greatest overreaction by gamers in recent history.

Last edited:

swag

Global Agenda Dev
Jan 12, 2004
Upside your head
Has anybody else heard that the name "Unreal Tournamenet" will go to Microsoft after the release of ut2k4?? Bill bought the rights to it .. presumably to port all future releases to the XBox prior to pc ala Halo.

EDIT: A friend of mine was nosing about the Internet and came across that news. I do not know the source but HE felt it was legitimate.

Last edited:

Luggage

wins.
Apr 25, 2001
Germany
www.planetunreal.com
It isn't. Epic made a deal with Microsoft about the publishing of a certain number of games developed by Epic. In a followup discussion, someone from Epic said these do *not* include games bearing the name Unreal in their title.