UT on Ubuntu

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'll write up what I did and then I need some help. I had to do the install in a KVM virtual machine and unfortunately the emulated graphics card is so old it's not true and so the game won't run. I need someone to follow my instructions (once posted) on a real machine and verify that the game can be persuaded to run (and not just install)..

Yeah, I can do that. I got 10.04 running on a real machine and I can test it once I get some free time. I have GOTY if you must know...

And as for running it on KVM, you can use Software Rendering right? ;)

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Yeah, I can do that. I got 10.04 running on a real machine and I can test it once I get some free time. I have GOTY if you must know...

Please do. There is a separate GOTY installer on my website. (http://www.margrave.myzen.co.uk/dow.../unreal.tournament_436-multilanguage.goty.run)

And as for running it on KVM, you can use Software Rendering right? ;)

The emulation is of a Cirrus Logic 2D card that was old when UT was new. I didn't even bother trying. VirtualBox would have been a better choice for this but I can't run it on a system that is running KVM so I had to go with KVM (I was not about to uninstall KVM).

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Tried it out and it works fine, only problem is it runs too fast so I'll have to look into it later. (Runs right speed under Windows 7 though).

Good.

I need to expand the document to cover the 64-bit equivalents, I suppose.

IronMonkey, i sent you a PM about it with some suggetions...
Noted! :)

I'll write this all up as Ubuntu specific.

Been busy...

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
IronMonkey - this is VERY nice guide out there, keep improving it, your work is appreciated :)

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I'm sure 64-bit users can get a package with all the 32-bit libraries need (I forget the name...)
Lacking a 64-bit Ubuntu, I haven't tested it but my belief is that users of 64-bit 10.04 should follow the 32-bit instructions. UT is a 32-bit app and should need the 32-bit packages. The 32-bit packages should "just run" under the 64-bit OS.

Of course, if any kind soul out there were to test the matter then we could be more definite... :)

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I've been using x64 Linux for a long while now, and it works as long as the OS has the 32-bit libraries available. Since UT's installer provides it, it should work there as well (I did get it working on x64 with the installer just fine on an older OpenSUSE, just so you know).

Also, for Unreal Anthology instructions, there's a great article here (although it focuses on UT2004):
http://www.liflg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=810

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I've been using x64 Linux for a long while now, and it works as long as the OS has the 32-bit libraries available. Since UT's installer provides it, it should work there as well.
That's been my experience with F13 x64. I don't see why Ubuntu would be any different (but I'd still like someone to check).

Also, for Unreal Anthology instructions, there's a great article here (although it focuses on UT2004):
http://www.liflg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=810
Bookmarked! Good find.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Why hasn't WINE been mentioned at least once? That would probably have solved all his problems right there.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Like Icculus said, Wine should be the last resort.

Agreed, I tried it once and the resolution is screwed up on the UWindows desktop. Wine is still a viable option for "ucc make" since that feature isn't in ucc-bin.

For those who use Ubuntu distros, these are the links to the .deb which UT needs to run:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/libglib1.2ldbl
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/libgtk1.2
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/libgtk1.2-common

Install them before running the installer.

Make this a sticky! :D

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I played it on Wine yesterday (since there is no Anthology installer yet), and it crashes with sounds for some reason, but with the -nosound option it works like a charm. Interestingly enough, it even has full rotation (the DInput bug doesn't seem to be affecting it - I had DirectInput disabled form the settings there) and the mouse works in menus. When in windowed mode, it also deals well with the cursor leaving the window, although sometimes it can lose focus if you spin too fast. In fullscreen mode and virtual desktop the mouse can't leave the window, but that's to be expected. Oh, and you don't need to install it, as long as you have the files themselves.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Oh, and you don't need to install it, as long as you have the files themselves.
Copied from the WINE FAQ.

3.1. I have lots of applications already installed in Windows. How do I run them in Wine?

Short answer: You have to install them in Wine just like you did in Windows. Applications usually have a setup or installer program.

Long answer: Some applications can be copied from Windows to Wine and still work, but don't try this unless you like tinkering under the hood of your car while it's running.

Wine is not designed to interact with an existing Windows installation. If you have any data you need from a Windows installation, browse your Windows filesystems in your normal file manager and copy the data to another location.

WARNING: Do not try to configure Wine to point to your actual Windows C:\ drive. This will break Windows and require a Windows reinstall. We have tried to make this hard to do, so you probably cannot do it by accident. If you do manage this, Wine may or may not continue to operate, but your Windows install will be 100% dead due to critical parts of it being overwritten. The only way to fix Windows after this has happened is to reinstall it.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Very long answer: Programs on Windows usually install some of the libraries to the Windows/System32 or Windows/SysWOW64 folders and utilise the registry to store things such as configuration and CD keys. However, some programs, including Unreal Tournament and Unreal, are created as 'standalone' - all libraries are contained in the System folder and all configuration is stored in the INI files. Thus it is entirely safe not to install them and just run them. You can also put them on things such as CDs and USB keys and run them from there perfectly fine.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
So, any plans for Anthology instructions on your site? And is there any way a new installer for Anthology could be created?
I thought the bookmarked link pretty much covered it but seeing as I've got about a dozen copies of UA, it might be worth my while writing it all up for my own reference.

@Neon_Knight, I did try to cover the detail that you posted here: http://www.margrave.myzen.co.uk/InstallUTonLinux.html

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
The thing is that the instructions there are for UT2004, not UT1, and the whole problem is that unlike UT2004, there is no patch that gives you UT libraries and binaries for Linux. So you need a new installer that would check the directory structure and hashes instead of asking for the CD. Or ask for the DVD or something like that.