UT on Ubuntu

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ralck

Nov 5, 2009
Is there any reason to play UT on Ubuntu instead of XP? Would it run better or worse?

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
I guess the main advantage is that you don't have to deal with Windows OS ;)

And speaking of differences I suppose you'll have to abandon DirectX rendering (you can get it to work with wine but it's not perfect). OpenGL should work without noticeable differences.

ralck

Nov 5, 2009
okay thanks for the replies. i've got ut running pretty nicely on xp so there's really no reason for me to switch and complicate things if there's no big advantage.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Only advantage if you want to use Ubuntu and not have to reboot to XP just to play a game... ;)

Seriously, the game plays the same no matter what. The Linux version is trickier since you can't just double-click the installer. Some day I'll get around to posting a tutorial on it...

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Some guidance and installers here: www.margrave.myzen.co.uk

On the topic of 64-bit, one thing to watch if you are using a distro (or secondary distro) packaged Nvidia driver is that it won't necessarily install the matching 32-bit components.

If you install the Nvidia driver from the Nvidia shell script then the installer explicitly asks if you want the 32-bit components. The downside of using that driver in the maintenance overhead. Better to get the packaged driver working properly.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'll probably start working on something this weekend when I have time, but looks like Iron Monkey's site already has something for installing the UT games on Linux. I'm thinking of doing tutorials for first time Ubuntu users, and also for othing things like installing mods, dedidcated servers or even making maps & mods.

Oh yeah...if you can wait till the end of summer, Steam will be released for Linux along with versions of UT1 & UT2004! :D

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Very cool news. I wonder if we're gonna see UT3 Linux client too (wishful thinking)

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Bad news everyone, I can't even get the installers to work on Ubuntu 10.04 :(

Not only is Lucid Lynx missing important libaries that are needed, but the installers are so old that they keep generating MD5 errors (even the ones on liflg.org don't work).

So the only option is to use Wine and OpenGl renderers, only problems is mouse cursor in middle of screen & CPU speed problems...which are minor considering. Hopefully the Linux version of Steam can fix it, if not I'll have to use another distro for playing commercial games.

I also tried installing other Unreal games...Unreal 227f for Linux doesn't work so again I used Wine. UT2004 runs fine though except I had to find an obsolete library (more in UT2004 forum).

All in all, I would not recommend Ubuntu for old commercial Linux games. Might look into SuperGamer though...

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk

I'll have a look (probably under VirtualBox as I don't have a spare system at the moment). The latest installers run well enough on late model Fedora (12 & 13 beta) so it is somewhat surprising that they cannot be persuaded to play ball on 10.04.

The MD5 error is symptomatic of using an old installer. I had thought that was a one-off problem relating to bash changes. Need to investigate further (strace is my friend:)).

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk

Not only is Lucid Lynx missing important libraries that are needed, but the installers are so old that they keep generating MD5 errors (even the ones on liflg.org don't work).

Some good news and a request for some help.

I've managed to get the installer running in 10.04 (admittedly, I did have to sacrifice the village's entire supply of virgins to achieve it) and completed an install from the original retail disk.

I'll write up what I did and then I need some help. I had to do the install in a KVM virtual machine and unfortunately the emulated graphics card is so old it's not true and so the game won't run. I need someone to follow my instructions (once posted) on a real machine and verify that the game can be persuaded to run (and not just install).

I image that there might still be some more work getting the game to run but between us I'm sure we can put together a set of instructions that anyone could use.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
First cut at the install instructions attached.

Could someone run through them and check that they work (and then that the game works).

I've edited out much of the mucking about so it is always possible that I've omitted a vital step.

I note that the installer complained about a missing libcanberra. That didn't seem to cause any problems but it could indicate sound problems further down the line.

The game is recognisably installed at the end of the process.

Attachments

• utinstall_ubuntu10.04.odt.zip
    12.9 KB · Views: 15