UT-Files down

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I'm also pretty sure Skillz wasn't obligated to tell anyone. He owned it. How dare he shut down something he owned and didn't tell anyone! :rolleyes:

You should've backed it up when the site was still up if you wanted backups so badly. You should also know these sites for a dead game won't last forever. And if for some reason you think they will, take a look at the title of this thread.

Don't give me that crap, Al. I can't see everything and I don't have the means to back everything up from every freaking site that hosts UT's files.

Now, was it in his right to shut it down? Sure. Just as someone has every right to blare stupid music in the middle of the day. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And Skillz DEFINITELY shouldn't have. But he did.

He contributed a lot to the UT scene but if he keeps this up, the memory of him shutting down the site without any prior warning when it had people's files donated to it will taint the contributions he has made to the scene and maybe even override them. And don't tell me it won't. I've seen it before. People don't like getting shoved off to the side especially when they've contributed their work to something.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
This is one of the reasons I never bothered uploading to his site even when he gave me a direct folder to upload whatever I wanted. Several times has this happened before and it was predicted already which is why we didn't see popular mods we used to play with back then. I really don't blame him for shutting it down since he had mentioned that he wasn't able to afford the site for so long, and I feel that it was other's obligation to start downloading what they could from it before this happened, if they wanted it so bad.

I was thinking of asking him to make a specific folder for Mesh sources (.3d) for UT and other UE1 games since I was able to export them to perfection using the 227h patch. I had to edit the file a lot in order to load the other games and extract the meshes with the BatchExport option. I guess I won't have to worry about that anymore, but I would keep exporting those meshes unless somebody is willing to host them up.

I have a clean export of the addweap.u package which is the one that contains the famous Mac10 and HkG11 weapon models used on many sniper mutators. Those are the ones that look all buggy because the meshes were probably exported with UTPT and aren't merged anymore which give you that effect where their polygons disappear as you walk away from closer distance. The ones I exported are completely perfect with all of their corresponding meshes like the ammos, the 3rd person mesh, and pickup mesh. If anybody wants them, just PM me and I'll see what I can do to share them.

Also, I'm looking for that sniper mesh model used on some super sniper like the ApolloClanDuster. The weapon uses the same sniper mesh from the AX.u package and sadly to say, they're bad exported meshes too. If anyone knows what package or mod that sniper mesh came from please let me know so I can export it and pack these popular meshes into a zip file to share. Or, if you know of some specific models you want exported, send me a link to where I can get it and I will export it for you.

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
War this is a hugely important thing. Post what you discussed to medor and if it's indeed as perfect as you say then I promise you I'll create a site where they are presented and available to everyone. I know you are capable of it but you generally are not inclined to actually release things. If you have changed this outlook I'll work very hard to ensure that the work is properly presented.

Correct meshes are a badly needed UT asset. If you want to take the time to fix them I'll take the time to update the weapon packages that use them. This could really take off depending on what you wanted to do.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Don't give me that crap, Al. I can't see everything and I don't have the means to back everything up from every freaking site that hosts UT's files.

Now, was it in his right to shut it down? Sure. Just as someone has every right to blare stupid music in the middle of the day. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And Skillz DEFINITELY shouldn't have. But he did.

He contributed a lot to the UT scene but if he keeps this up, the memory of him shutting down the site without any prior warning when it had people's files donated to it will taint the contributions he has made to the scene and maybe even override them. And don't tell me it won't. I've seen it before. People don't like getting shoved off to the side especially when they've contributed their work to something.

Were you helping him pay for the hosting? If not, did you try to contact him and offer to help?

If you weren't helping him pay for it, you really can't blame Skillz. Sure, you can be sad that you can't get the files you want easily anymore, but life is more than running a website and keeping those who use your website happy.

People have lives and family they need to take care of. Keeping a UT website up would hardly be at the top of the list.

At the end of the day, it's a video game and a website. There's more important shit in life.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Were you helping him pay for the hosting? If not, did you try to contact him and offer to help?

If you weren't helping him pay for it, you really can't blame Skillz. Sure, you can be sad that you can't get the files you want easily anymore, but life is more than running a website and keeping those who use your website happy.

People have lives and family they need to take care of. Keeping a UT website up would hardly be at the top of the list.

At the end of the day, it's a video game and a website. There's more important shit in life.
As I said. I'm not ticked off because he shut it down. I'm ticked off that he shut it down without warning. As you can read above, people have tried to secure backups but Skillz has denied them. But hey, if you want to keep supporting horrible site practices, IDGAF. Support away.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know what the fuck you're talking about supporting horrible site practices. Maybe it couldn't be helped.

But if you want to think you are entitled to something on a site you don't own, IDGAF. Think away.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Al, cut the bullshit. Yes, we ARE entitled to that stuff. We entrusted it to Skillz and he failed that trust. If he had said a month before: guys, I'm closing the site, grab the content while you can - this entire mess would never take place. There were many files there that were ONLY there due to being lost from other sites and now they will be lost completely. The full scope of the damage is unknown. People created all this stuff, working for hours, days, weeks, months and now you're saying Skillz had the RIGHT to just dump it all away?! Yeah, maybe it couldn't be helped but that doesn't make the problem go away. Skillz breached people's trust, period.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Yeah, WE are insane. Not you. Right. I guess standing up when many talented individuals' work may be lost is considered insane now...

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, WE are insane. Not you. Right. I guess standing up when many talented individuals' work may be lost is considered insane now...

You guys are butthurt because someone closed a site THAT THEY OWNED for a 14 year old game.

I'm insane. Right.

P.S. I didn't write the tag about Arnox. Apparently someone else sees the insanity. Get off my nuts.

I'm also done here. Continue to think someone fucked you over and continue to cry about it, because I'm sure Skillz really gives two shits about what you guys think about him. I wish I could open UT sites and then close them just to see you babies cry about it.

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
What does it matter how old the game is? Point is that thing could have been done in more responsible way. If you don't care about the game and/or content that may be possibly lost you're free not to participate in this discussion.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Al, cut the bullshit. Yes, we ARE entitled to that stuff. We entrusted it to Skillz and he failed that trust. If he had said a month before: guys, I'm closing the site, grab the content while you can - this entire mess would never take place. There were many files there that were ONLY there due to being lost from other sites and now they will be lost completely. The full scope of the damage is unknown. People created all this stuff, working for hours, days, weeks, months and now you're saying Skillz had the RIGHT to just dump it all away?! Yeah, maybe it couldn't be helped but that doesn't make the problem go away. Skillz breached people's trust, period.
he_s_r10.jpg

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
unreal-games.livejournal.com
Well...
Yes, we ARE entitled to that stuff. We entrusted it to Skillz and he failed that trust. If he had said a month before: guys, I'm closing the site, grab the content while you can
...about 2 months back, possibly 3, Skillz posted there was a very real possibility his site and forum were going to go bye bye.

I barely went to his forum 2 or 3 times a month, and even I saw that. He said he was hoping to find a way around it but at the time, he was pretty sure he was going to lose it.

And by the way, Delacroix... it isn't Skillz fault that you uploaded stuff with him and then deleted it from your drive. It isn't his responsibility to manage what you decide not to keep. You have it to him, he uploaded it somewhere where everybody could have access to it, and then you... just figured you didn't need it on your system anymore?

How is that Skillz fault?

Anything I submit to sites I don't submit to just 1 site. Ask anybody, I cross·post all over the bloody place! I also keep a cheap lil' place on mediafire if anyone else wants access to my stuff that doesn't have access to the other places i uploaded it to.

Stop coming down on Skillz, Delacroix, for his inability to manage your own computer files on your system.

Last edited:

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Hm. That does excuse him, indeed.

But tell me one thing. When he opened UT-files, he was spewing the news about it everywhere. You could literally open the fridge and find out about that. And when there's a real possibility that he might close it down, he restricts this to his own forum. Hmhm.

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
unreal-games.livejournal.com
Well...

Hm. That does excuse him, indeed.

But tell me one thing. When he opened UT-files, he was spewing the news about it everywhere. You could literally open the fridge and find out about that. And when there's a real possibility that he might close it down, he restricts this to his own forum. Hmhm.
...not everybody has my compulsion to make sure absolutely everyone everywhere knows everything I think about stuff.

Hell, I may be the only person that still posts anything to http://www.unrealtexture.com/General/Website/Forums/Forums01/index.php

It's possible Skillz did post it somewhere on some other UT forum. How many are there anyway? I'm only member of about 30...

...but either way, the important thing is he posted it to his forum. Where the files were on the site connected to it. Where if people were concerned about what they submitted to him they should probably have swung by there every so often to see how things with his site/forum were going.

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
I did see it and I did try to copy UT-Files, which Skillz prevented. I've also openly offered to NewEgg a HDD to his house so he can copy the files and send them to me. I can assure you I'll share them and everyone will have a crack at recovering.

It's not so much that he shut it down, it's that he is making no effort at all to mitigate the damage it's causing. This can be done at no cost to him so it moots the excuse that he needs money to do it. No, he's going to sit on those files and no one is going to get them. People should remember this part if he reopens, as that's the part that rubs the wrong way.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Well...

...about 2 months back, possibly 3, Skillz posted there was a very real possibility his site and forum were going to go bye bye.

I barely went to his forum 2 or 3 times a month, and even I saw that. He said he was hoping to find a way around it but at the time, he was pretty sure he was going to lose it.

And by the way, Delacroix... it isn't Skillz fault that you uploaded stuff with him and then deleted it from your drive. It isn't his responsibility to manage what you decide not to keep. You have it to him, he uploaded it somewhere where everybody could have access to it, and then you... just figured you didn't need it on your system anymore?

How is that Skillz fault?

Anything I submit to sites I don't submit to just 1 site. Ask anybody, I cross·post all over the bloody place! I also keep a cheap lil' place on mediafire if anyone else wants access to my stuff that doesn't have access to the other places i uploaded it to.

Stop coming down on Skillz, Delacroix, for his inability to manage your own computer files on your system.

That does put him in a better light but it still doesn't answer a few other questions.