1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal Engine 4 for $19 a month

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by Hunter, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Numb51

Numb51 New Member

Ambershee, I'm messing around with the blueprints "MyProjectile" components tab, and I'm trying to change the sphere static mesh being spawned into a destructible sphere static mesh I created previously. Why won't it let me do this? Is it just not possible in the engine? It would look extremely cool to see my projectile burst into pieces using pure physics instead of via an animation.

EDIT: Nevermind i figured it out. I love this shit haha

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  2. Feralidragon

Feralidragon UT n00b coder

Let's not forget that opening the source code or/and making Unreal/UT free has some implications relative other parties, such as Steam for example, who still sells the game (along with some others).
    So in order to do that they would have probably to allocate at least 3 people: a lawyer, an executive and a developer to handle that (I think, don't quote me on that).

Furthermore, given their excuse of not opening the engine until a few years ago, that excuse is still quite valid in what concerns at least UE3.
    But, the fact that Epic made this move with UE4, certainly makes the opening of UT/Unreal more plausible than before, and yeah, they wouldn't loose anything at all with it, as no one in their right mind would try to bring UE1 to the level of UE3 or even UE4 instead of using UE3 or UE4 directly, the amount of time and effort simply wouldn't pay off, and that's probably even why Epic is betting in this new model, they know what they have in hands and the fact that no one else comes even close to them in this kind of technology.

Still, many would be very happy if they made UT free and open source (one of those is me of course, I would be overjoyed).

I just don't go ahead with UE4 right now for my own stuff (yet) since from the description the whole thing is still it's early beta phase, to not mention that it needs a beast of a machine to handle it properly, at least for now, other than that, I am really looking forward to the next developments concerning UE4.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  3. Hunter

Hunter BeyondUnreal Newsie

Ambershee , are there any decent resources out there for a total n00b like myself?

$20 a month isn't much and there are ideas I'd like to try out with UE4 but wouldn't know where to start outside of the Map Editor.

4. WGH

WGH New Member

5. Alhanalem

Alhanalem Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

Keep in mind you can cancel anytime and still use the engine. You won't get updates or support, but if a particular version is suiting your purposes, you can simply cancel until you are ready for an update. You can just pay $20 now for access, cancel immediately, and never pay another dime (unless you release a product).

6. Hunter

I read that yesterday and almost couldn't stop myself doing it.

Wonder if we could a BU series on using UE4…

7. UT2kxPartyBoy

UT2kxPartyBoy Third world user

I was proposing the same thing because of this . . .

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  8. WGH

WGH New Member

The link doesn't work if you don't have a facebook account.

9. UT2kxPartyBoy

UT2kxPartyBoy Third world user

You don't have a FB account ?, I envy you . . .

Change.org

10. Al

Al Reaper

Best thing I've done in a while was to permanently delete my FB account. :)

11. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

I'm thinking of finally getting one sometime this year.....hmmmmm.......just not posting a lot of stuff on it.

12. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Number one annoyance (and the annoyance was the same with UDK), they have no way to allow you to release modding tools with your game unless you get a custom licensing agreement (probably a no royalty license) or make modders buy the engine themselves.

13. Hunter

Isn't the idea though to allow small time devs the chance to make games at a low cost?

Obviously if you were making a smash hit and you wanted modders then you'd come to terms with a custom agreement, but then what work would you have to put in to make your game moddable without releasing source code?

14. Vaskadar

Vaskadar It's time I look back from outer space

This is great news, honestly.

15. Sir_Brizz

I don't know for licensees. But having custom content in your game is becoming a big deal, especially with Steam Workshop making things so easy.

So, yeah, but it seems like Epic should have worked harder to figure out a way to support this without requiring modders to buy an engine license (which wouldn't necessarily guarantee compatibility unless they let you download every previous engine release).

16. Sir_Brizz

Been playing with the editor and such tonight. It's actually really cool what you can do. I think they really improved on Kismet, Blueprint makes a lot more sense and is a lot more powerful.

Also, visually the engine is just breathtaking. The sample levels are incredible. Hopefully I won't get neutered for this. :p

[screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/3TV6vmO.jpg[/screenshot]

17. Hunter

the scale looks awesome, might have to have a play soon! Especially as I can just drop $19 and get it and then cancel.

18. Arnox

Arnox UT99/2004 Mod Crazy

The quality of this engine is actually a little surprising considering some of Epic's recent past decisions and projects. Really glad they've stepped up their game. (pun intended)

19. Sir_Brizz

In that scene, all the little ships are moving. It's a really cool effect.

20. Al

Al Reaper

Looks like the ME Citadel.