Unofficial technical weapon question forum.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BloodyHunter

Wait, Maybe That's Useful... Nah It Aint
Oct 3, 2004
OK thanks, i hope thats right, im doing something stupid and making some "uncle leroy" ammunition extra hot.

Attachments

• Super_w_Vomz_copy.jpg
    Super_w_Vomz_copy.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

BloodyHunter

Oct 3, 2004
Sorry, didnt see the edit b4 i posted, good thing I didnt make it yet. Think i should get a kevlar vest to wear while testing the load?

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
BH- Exact? As in you're doing neck turning, or approximate? Also, what load are you cooking up? Bullet weight, powder, primer, etc.. I handload for the strange stuff in the collection, and have been handloading for close to 20 years.. Let me know, and I may be able to save you some pain..

BloodyHunter

Oct 3, 2004
Bullet Weight : 113
Bullet Type : RN SP (Hornady)
Bullet Diameter : .308
Powder Manufacture : IMR
Powder Type : 4227
Powder Weight (Grains) : 16.8C
Primer Manufacture : Federal
Primer Type : Small Rifle
Brass Manufacture : Mixed Headstamps
Velocity: Unknown (Untested)

And this is only an approximate preliminary drawing which i hope to improve.
Oh, and I found the case length for a correctly-made .308 WIN: 51.18mm (2.015")

Last edited:

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
That's a VERY light load for the .308 Winchester. Without checking it sounds like a .30 Carbine load.

(I checked. that IS a .30 Carbine load. A hot one.) Normally 4227 is used in handgun, and shotshell reloading (the .30 USC is well within the "handgun" category for reloading, and TPC's) I'd hesitate to use that light a powder charge in a .308W case for fear of either sticking the slug in the bore, or generating a secondary pressure excursion.

In checking my old notes, my favorite load for the 7.62 NATO was a 168 grain Sierra Match King, atop 41.0 grains of 4895 using M118 brass.

BloodyHunter

Oct 3, 2004
Well thank you for the tip, i might just do that and add a wee bit extra powder, i have a friend who wants to shoot something with a fair ammount of kick so i was planning on making a hot .308 and seeing what he thinks when he fires and gets a nice sharp tap on the forehead from the scope.

And one thing i cant decide is if a hot .308 from an old Browning BLR would kick more than a hot load from an old Remmingtom bolt .30-06, i just dont want to give him a few shreds of shrapnel to brag about at the airport.

Last edited:

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
BH- Weigh the rifles in question. Measure the surface area of the buttplates. The lighter rifle, with the smaller buttplate will have the greater percieved recoil with an equivalent load. If the Remmy is really old, and a lightweight, it'll stomp him. the BLR's tended to be on the heavy side for a lever gun.

BloodyHunter

Oct 3, 2004
The only trouble im having with that is: Last time i was out shooting them (9-30-04) I had a light magnum in both guns and the kick was about the same with the exception that the .308 has a slower dull pain kick and the .30-06 had a fast, sharp kick. But one difference in the shells was: the light mag. .30-06 still had room for powder, think if i loaded it full the case would split?

Crazy_Ivan

KAR whore
Jan 30, 2003
1,5meters below sea level
Visit site
Derelan said:
Your eye is least sensitive to red:
(image removed)
Thus, red laser attachments are most effective in low-light operations where high eye sensitivity and wide irises are a must. They also happen to be the cheapest to purchase (since they somehow became the most frequently produced) color of laser diodes.

However, as for laser pointers, green is a better choice, since the eye can see it easier.
Red is closer to infrared... makes it easier to see it with IR-type nightvision goggles.
if you use a full IR region laser, the red dot won't be visible for the human eye and doesn't alert someone to your presence

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
Bushwack said:
the weapons are expensive to maintain, and unreliable, they also require an electrical charge to ignite some of them, which as we all know, batteries dont last forever.
The USARMY has been looking into a form of caseless ammunition for a stationary weapons platform, its called the ADS {Area Denial System}, its basically a box with 36 preloaded barrels, with a highest rate of fire of 1 million rounds per minute {yes, you read that correctly}, it is supposed to be able to be vehicle mounted as well, aside from being remote and stationary. These have virtually no moving parts and has to have each barrel reloaded manually after firing, its in prototype stage.

Right, that's the Metal Storm technology. The bullets are stacked on on top of each other in each barrel and ignited sequentially in a manner similar to that used in a fireworks mortar, producing extremely high rates of fire but poor accuracy.

G36

Loose Cannon
Oct 19, 2003
www.homestarrunner.com
Is there a name for loading one round in the chamber and a full magazine below? As in insert magazine, pull back bolt, unload magazine, put an extra round in it, reinsert (thus giving you magazine capacity +1 round). Do police forces or armys (armies? sp?) ever do this?

I nearly wet my pants when I found it was possible in INF. Such a well thought out mod this...

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
Topping off. ie topping off the weapon, etc. It's generally done in military forces (every little bit counts), but not so much with police for a variety of reasons ranging from poor training (there are lots of police officers who don't even know what they carry) to poor equipment, etc.

5eleven

I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain
Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
I can only speak for myself and those I know in Law Enforcement - we always top off, with the exception of a duty shotgun which is never carried in condition 1, "hot". They are always carried in condition 3 - magazine tube loaded, action uncocked, safety off.

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Seconding 5 eleven. "Topped off". Another term I've heard is "piped", as in "Seven in the mag, one in the pipe".

The "condition" code is old school. (Jeff Cooper's school, to be precicise)

One, is "cocked and locked", that is a round in the chamber, and a full mag inserted with the hammer, or striker cocked. Basically a "ready to fire" condition, with the deactivation of minimal safes.
Two is a round in the chamber, a full magazine, and the striker, or hammer in a lowered position. Weapon will require either a pull of the trigger (if a double action firearm) or the cocking of the hammer to be fired.
Three is a clear chamber, a full magazine, and the hammer or striker in a lowered position. Weapon will require chambering a round in order to fire.

5eleven

Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Yay! I'm officially old skool! :lol:

Right on Meplat, however, with the shotgun, our condition 2 is a slight variant. Probably because I've not seen a double action pump shotgun. :D condition 2 is the same as 1, but thumb safety engaged. Condition 4 is completely empty. Generally, I hate to refer to them in "conditions", but we pretty much throw 2 and 4 out the window......... at least with the shotgun, because you can basically go from condition 3 - 1 and back from 1 -3 bypassing 2 and who the hell even considers 4, unless you're cleaning. :D

5eleven

Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Can anyone tell me what militaries are employing the Robar RC50? I did some quick searching, but oddly, if you Google Robar RC50, about all you get are BU/Infiltration links. :lol: